PDA

View Full Version : quick question

Finnysmommie
02-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Finny is doing this clicking thing with his mouth it is a real fast clicking sound and when he does it he scratches his head a lot. He just did it while we were playing "pretty bird" he was really happy and dancing while we called out pretty bird, then he started this clicking really fast and acted like he just contacted fleas on his head. He has done this before but this time he kept doing it for a while so I figured I would ask if anyone knew what it might mean.

Thanks,
Finnysmommie (Cindy)

Finnysmommie
02-05-2006, 01:29 PM
oh I forgot to add (again) that we are not sure Finny is a boy, it is an assumption.

bellarains
02-05-2006, 01:30 PM
LOL,

The clicking and scratching of the nares is part of the mating dance. Sounds like Finny's hormones are kicking in;)

Watch for the quick wing spread, and the swishy, swishy mambo to follow soon:rolleyes:

Finnysmommie
02-05-2006, 01:33 PM
"swishy, Swishy" is that the tail thing going back and forth really fast? We call that the duster..lol It looks like he is trying to dust something with his tail (again the "he's" are assumptions). So is this male or female mating behavior or common in both sexes? and wow he is easy if all we had to do is call him pretty boy and he gets excited! lol

bellarains
02-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Cindy,

The behavior you are describing is primarily male behavior, but we have had some with hens that do this also. I myself has never seen my hen self gratify, but boy oh boy can my male ever!!!!!

Not to get too vivid, but Bela will swish, and when he is done he stands up tall and makes a popping type noise. If anyone has a female that does this, chime in, but I think Finny is a boy:) Oh, and yep, the duster is the swishy, swishy mambo:lol

Finnysmommie
02-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Ok I wish I would have known this earlier.. Finny does this on my head!!!!! ewwwwwwwww! now not to be gross but does it leave little messes? I am patting down my head as I write this. I thought this was just a "I am happy behavior" I had no clue it was that dang happy! Any suggestions on discouraging him form doing the "swishy swishy" on my head??? gulp, I feel so violated!!!!

LauraO
02-05-2006, 02:14 PM
The best way to deal with a lovie who loves you enough to do the swishy swishy on you is to JUST GET USED TO IT!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:.

As for female swishy behavior, I have two females who masterbate. Eva is a rescue bird I got for Chewie but was told she'd laid eggs in the past. She and Chewie both hump Zim and Squeakers' bear together, and I came home after being gone 10 days to find Olive, my female slate masked humping a not on the swing.

Mandolin
02-05-2006, 03:21 PM
:lol :rofl: :lol :rofl: :lol OK this thread cracks me up... hahaha. I for one am very happy i have a girl. She doesn't do the "swishy swishy" but tries very hard to get me and my boyfriend to mate with her. Birds self gratifying makes me laugh. And I am sorry but when Cindy said that Finny does it on her head... hahahaha :lol :lol :lol . Birds are great. Never a dull moment in a lovie parent's life, especially hormonal lovies.

Finnysmommie
02-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Since we got Finny from Petsmart and they have zero information on their birds... any ideas on what age they start this behavior? We really dont know anything about our Finny's past before he came to live with us.

I am still dying over here... I never thought the phrase please dont hump my head would become part of my vocabulary :-(

Janie
02-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Cindy, I have no idea at what age that behavior starts since I adopted Oliver when he was already an older bird but that is exactly what he does and it's all aimed at ME! :D

My younger boys are just over 8 months old and I have not seen either of them (DNA'd males) do that....yet! :D I'm watching and waiting....:lol

bellarains
02-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Cindy,

Bela's two favorite places are my ponytail, and if I take it down, he just get on my shoulder and goes to town:rolleyes:

I will say that since I got Lacey he does not do this very often. He doesn't do the swishy with her either(not that I've ever seen), but he lavishes his attention on her instead of me now. He still likes to cuddle with his Mommy, give kisses, and he still likes skirtches, but the swishy is very minimal.

Bela started this at about 6 months of age. It can vary a bit depending on when the hormones kick in, but 6 months seems to be about average.

Buy A Paper Doll
02-05-2006, 06:43 PM
<snicker> Milo does this on the back of my hand when I'm trying to drive the mouse on my computer. Or the back my husband's hand when he's holding the remote. It's the "click" noise that gets him going. Unlike Bela, Milo hasn't slowed down one bit since Melody came to live with us. He humps the back of my hand while Melody stands an inch away on my wrist, watching him. :omg:

Angelwing
02-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Lol. Laharl is almost eight months old now, but I haven't seen him do anything dirty. Yet.

cassysmiley
02-06-2006, 11:10 AM
I got a Solution for this.

BROMIDE in His WATER.!!! (thats stop the Ardour.) :whistle: :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(hope this lets me post.)

cassy. :grouphug:

graushill
02-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Pidget finds toes fascinating *ahem*. And he's not choosy over whose toes he bestows his attentions upon. Yesterday I had a really hard time keeping a straight face as I heard my dear, innocent husband ask him: now what is it that you're doing on my feet? Do you think my socks need a dusting? >o

Gloria

Finnysmommie
02-06-2006, 12:50 PM
I think I am really going to step up my search for a "friend" for Finny. All last night he kept jumping on my head and doing the clicking sound and it just makes me cringe. I kept trying to distract him but it was as if there was nothing in the world he wanted more than being on my head. I would distract him before he "swishy swishyed" but you could see that, that was his mission. The good thing that came out of it was I found another food that Finiky Finny will now munch on :-). He did not go nuts over it or anything but he seems to be ok with a few bites of brocoli now.

So do birds have seasons or particular times they get *Frisky* or is this an anytime anywhere behavior. We nicknamed Finny, Finiky Finny because it is so hard to get him to eat anything other than his birdfood. I am thinking his new name should be Frisky Finny!

LauraO
02-06-2006, 01:04 PM
It's great that you are looking for a friend for Finny, but keep in mind that having a friend does not guarantee his "special" love for you will stop. We have several lovies with mates who they love and have babies with that still like to swishy swishy on my hubby and I:rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

mjm8321
02-06-2006, 01:39 PM
You could always get Finny a stuffed bird. :lol I know it sounds funny, but Rita used to have a stuffed toy duck for Pippy's "activities" and my chronic humper George appreciates his soft perch a whole lot. No lovebird mate necessary, just something soft to satisfy the "itch".

LauraO
02-06-2006, 03:43 PM
You could always get Finny a stuffed bird. :lol I know it sounds funny, but Rita used to have a stuffed toy duck for Pippy's "activities" and my chronic humper George appreciates his soft perch a whole lot. No lovebird mate necessary, just something soft to satisfy the "itch".

We have several lovies that adore a white stuffed bear we have. Of course, it can't compete with Pippy's duckd:blush: .

Janie
02-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Pidget finds toes fascinating *ahem*. And he's not choosy over whose toes he bestows his attentions upon. Yesterday I had a really hard time keeping a straight face as I heard my dear, innocent husband ask him: now what is it that you're doing on my feet? Do you think my socks need a dusting? >o

Gloria

GLORIA!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

bellarains
02-06-2006, 05:32 PM
"Why yes Chris, you're toes are a bit dusty":rofl: :rofl:

Too funny Gloria:rofl: