PDA

View Full Version : lovebirds and other birds in same home

peppero1
02-18-2006, 03:27 AM
Hello bird fans,
I am the current owner of a little yellow lovebird. I have been reading alot about other birds and am thinking about getting a male Vos eclectus parrot.
Anyone out there have any words of wisdom to share with me about housing, quarantine, interactions, personalities etc.
I understand they need to be kept apart for a certain amount of time, but does this mean separate rooms or just cages. I am planning to keep them in different cages and prohibit physical interaction but I do think eventually they can chat to each other and live in the same room, but different cages.
Anyway, any suggestions or advice from your experience would be greatly apprecited.....
Thanks -

Angelwing
02-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Yes, it's strongly recommended to not house birds of different species together. It's fine if they are in the same room but different cages, though.

Minimum quarantine time should be no less than thirty days. This means that your new bird is kept in a different room from your current bird, food dishes and cage cleaning aren't done together, instead wash your hands thoroughly before and after attending each bird. The birds should have NO contact with each other during the quarantine (your hand from bird to bird is also contact - wash your hands inbetween!). When the quarantine is finished and you're ready to introduce the new bird into your current bird's room, you can place the cages near each other, but not close enough that the birds can touch each other. Once they've settled down and are accustomed of each other, you can start up supervised playtime. Do not leave the birds alone together if they are out of the cage. Especially the first little while, you need to keep a very close eye on them (although you should always keep a close eye on them when they are out together). Don't let yourself get distracted by anything else. You don't want anyone fighting or getting seriously injured (or injured at all). Then take it from there, and keep us updated!

graushill
02-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi Peppero!

I have no experience with eclectus parrots, although I think they are beautiful, the males specially with their red and purples. But with lovies I do have some, and it's that they are very territorial and not at all aware of how small they are. So after quarantine (which should be at least 4 weeks, but 45 days is even better, definitely different rooms, and even washing your hands after handling one and before handling the other), I wouldn't allow any unsupervised playtime, or any common playtime at all, at least in the beginning, until you have a chance to see how they interact with each other. I do think though having them in the same room, in different cages, is perfectly okay, after quarantine that is. Hopefully they might tolerate each other, and even better, get along :).

Good luck and please do post some pictures!
Gloria

ETA: I'm sorry Lisa, I hadn't read your post before I wrote mine. Sorry for the repeated advice Peppero!

peppero1
02-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the great advice,,,,

mjm8321
02-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Please remember, lovebirds don't know their size. They can be aggresive toward larger birds. No lovebirds are allowed out to play when the bigger birds are out at my house.

peppero1
02-22-2006, 12:33 AM
mjm - what other birds do you have? I would love to get some feedback from anyone that has an eclectus and a lovebird,,, basically compare and contrast their behaviours and personalities as well as their own interaction with each bird.

I have to admit, I am a bit intimidated by the Eclectus, mostly because of the size of it and its beek. With my lovebird I can handle him easily and even when he is nippy it's never too bad, he has never drawn blood or pinched me really hard.
But, I imagine with the Eclectus one would have to be much more respectful of its moods and likes and dislikes or else one could get a really good chomp.

But what is driving me to want an Eclectus is that I think they have great pet potential and are very intelligent. Also I read they are good birds for my lifestyle etc.

Any comments would be appreciated... to help me before I take the plunge and purchase another bird!!

Audi's Mum
02-22-2006, 02:35 AM
Worst bite I have ever had was given by a lovebird! I find that in MOST cases, the bigger the bird and beak the gentler they are, so long as you respect them and their beak!

Lovebirds have attitude! Eclectus, well all the ones I know, are very gentle and well mannered but as with any bird that does rely on a good up-bringing, reasonable boundaries and a safe and calm environment.

LauraO
02-22-2006, 10:18 AM
I know that one of our members has an eclectus as well as lovebirds and I don't think he allows them out to play together. I agree, that lovebirds don't know their size and will torment larger birds. I do let my one Meyer's out with the lovies but my other meyers and my CAG (Congo African Grey) are not allowed as they hate the lovies.

I would also make sure your ready for the beak of such a big parrot. I've gotten some nasty bites from my Meyer's and especially my CAG. I truly believe it's not a matter if they will bite but when and it takes a lot of trust and commitment to continue to be involved in your parrots life once they start drawing blood and mauling your face:eek: :eek:

I don't have an Ekkie but I've heard good things about them and they are really beautiful.

peppero1
02-22-2006, 10:29 AM
"Mauling your face"

Oh my Gawd! ... That is definately not helping me make my decision any easier. I have heard and read of some birds doing this, that have behavior problems or displaced agression, but I certainly hope that this isn't par for the course with having a large bird.

Please say it ain't so....

jknezek
02-22-2006, 10:31 AM
I have both lovebirds and a male solomon island eclectus. They are caged in the same room although as far apart as possible. They are not allowed to interact at all.

In order to make this work, all my birds are clipped. They can flutter, but not fly. It's not ideal in terms of exercise, but there are many stories of larger parrots snapping little birds out of the air. It wouldn't take much for a lovebird to challenge a larger bird (they don't seem to understand this is a bad idea) and it wouldn't be hard for an ekkie beak to destory a little lovebird.

That being said... I love my ekkie. I spent a good amount of time researching which larger parrot I would want and the ekkie was far and away the best for me. Besides being beautiful they are relatively quiet and independent compared to other birds like mini-macaws and african greys. My ekkie talks as well as any other bird I've been around. In fact, he uses language with intent asking for treats, showers and for my fiancee when she's not around.

The thing about ekkies, however, is the diet. They require a high fiber diet. They also seem to have more than the normal amount of food sensitivities. My ekkie gets almost entirely fresh fruit and veggies in his diet. Just about any pellet sets him off toe tapping, wing flipping and over preening. Other birds seem to pluck or scream when they react to certain foods.

Not much is known about ekkies in the wild so diet is hit or miss. I would recommend checking out the Land of Vos website (http://www.landofvos.com/eclectus.html) and from their joining the TEC email list. These are people very devoted to ekkies and can really help with all your questions.

Things to consider include cage size (huge...), diet, alternate perch areas, male versus female (the females can be very nesty and hormonal although they have their supporters), and noise.

Plus the time commitment is huge. The toys and entertainment my ekkie goes through is so much larger than my 3 lovebirds.

All in all... I love my ekkie and wouldn't want any other kind of large parrot. Look through the Land of Vos website and they will be thrilled to answer all your questions.

Good luck!

Jeremy

LauraO
02-22-2006, 10:39 AM
"Mauling your face"

Oh my Gawd! ... That is definately not helping me make my decision any easier. I have heard and read of some birds doing this, that have behavior problems or displaced agression, but I certainly hope that this isn't par for the course with having a large bird.

Please say it ain't so....

Mijo, my CAG attacked my face and it was for none of the reasons you mention. I overstepped my bounds and upset him and he waited and waited to pay me back. He bites but he is a very loving and fun bird. It's just part of the package.

Jeremy: thanks for the info. Perfect timing as you are the person who immediately came to mind when this topic came up:D .

jknezek
02-22-2006, 10:52 AM
With all I take from this forum it's nice to be able to give back now and then...

As for the biting issue... my ekkie bites when he is upset or scared. I think all birds will. He has never broken skin with me but he has with my fiancee a couple times. He seems to respect me a little bit more, but I'm also the disciplinarian and she is the playtime attention giver.

Funny how my ekkie still loves me more though!

mjm8321
02-22-2006, 11:59 AM
I don't have an Eclectus (yet LOL) but we do have the 3 tiels, a Gold Cap Conure, Senegal and now, an Illigers Macaw and I do not let the lovebirds out to play when the big birds are out, or for that matter, where the lovebirds can get into the larger cages, where they slip easily through the bars. The larger birds; except for the Tiels, would tolerate the little lovies, but I'm not chancing anything as I now firsthand how aggressive the little peachies can be. One even chased our 18lb cat down the stairs! That was before I knew better than to keep the cats and birds away from each other. The tiels are very timid and the lovebirds seem to actually enjoy chasing them around, so I avoid that stress put on the tiels by allowing them out only when all little terror lovies are put away.

Janie
02-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Jeremy: thanks for the info. Perfect timing as you are the person who immediately came to mind when this topic came up

Laura, me, too! :D Glad you checked in Jeremy. I knew that you have an ekkie and could add some very good information. :)

LauraO
02-22-2006, 12:39 PM
It's not just the beak you have to worry about. Last night Koa, who is partially flighted, was trying to fly on my shoulder and missed. As a result, I have two bloody claw marks on my nose:x :x .

Phoebe
02-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Please do not house lovebirds with another species, I had a rescue budgie last year that was in a cage with a lovebird and dropped off at the humane society in the middle of the night. The budgie had an eye injury and despite my best efforts and $$ vet care, he died. Some species CAN co-exist with each other, i.e. tiels and budgies but it is best not to try as every bird has issues and can be difficult. Better to be safe than sorry! I let my different species of birds out at all different times as I know the potential for danger.
:omg: