PDA

View Full Version : Potential New Residents in Florida

linda040899
02-18-2006, 07:04 PM
http://www.tampabays10.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=24577

Not a good thing.... :(

kimsbirds
02-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Oh NO !! Definitely not a good thing at all ! Those things scare me to no end...time to move, Linda ?
K

linda040899
02-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Kim,
I've known for quite a while that this was going to happen sooner or later. That's the reason for Joyce Baum's article, "The Birds and the Bees," in our Resource Library. I think it's there as more of a reminder for me than anything else. FL has a lot of live, breathing hazards, Killer Bees just being a new addition. Not too long ago, they found the remains of a Python Snake in the Everglades that died because it tried to eat an alligator that was too big for it! Only in FL! :eek:

Buy A Paper Doll
02-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Not too long ago, they found the remains of a Python Snake in the Everglades that died because it tried to eat an alligator that was too big for it! Only in FL! :eek:
I remember this one - they even posted photos of it. :x

Right now my biggest problem is the frogs. They're not hazardous like bees or gross like exploding pythons, but they're a nuisance nonetheless. Currently there is frog poop all smeared down the wall by my front door because they hang out way up by the light, eating bugs and pooping. They've taken over my lawn, too, so the next time I mow the grass, I guarantee I will hit at least half a dozen frogs. :x :x :x

linda040899
02-18-2006, 08:00 PM
Jennifer,
Our neighborhood doesn't have frogs but we're having a minor invasion from Egrets. Every day, they pick a new lawn to adorn and there are about 20 of them! Needless to say, we watch were we step and be careful if you go out without shoes! :lol

About 2 years ago, I had a couple of tree frogs find their way into my lanai. I could see them but didn't think about removing them. Over the winter, they multiplied and my pool was full of quickly growing tadpoles! I lost count of how many we took down to our local lake.......

Mandolin
02-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Ok i am glad i live in northern BC. Killer Bees would freeze here in no time. We can't have pythons that will explode. And last i heard we have had no invasions of frongs. Now we have our own problems but nothing that would scare me as much as killer bees. The possibility of West Nile virus coming here scares me because mosquitos use me as a buffet. Anyway i hope killer bees stay away from everyone living in florida.

Z28Taxman
02-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Killer bees, exploding pythons and poopin frogs. :eek:

I think I'll stay here with the million sparrows, Ditto likes those and they don't kill anyone. :rofl:

p3rr4n
02-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Killer bees, exploding pythons and poopin frogs. :eek:

I think I'll stay here with the million sparrows, Ditto likes those and they don't kill anyone. :rofl:

Hey Dave, I agree 100%, now just get rid of the SNOW and COLD and even I will be happy!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

butterfly1061
02-19-2006, 07:41 AM
Hmmm...

I think I'm a bit too close to Florida for this. How cold does it get north of Atlanta? I can't drive in snow and don't want to. >o

Do they have any way to control or kill these bees?

BarbieH
02-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Jackie;

I think some beekeepers have been trying to reduce the problem by breeding killer bees with calmer honeybees. There are already some strains of killer bees that have developed calmer personality traits, and I think even some that have begun making honey. Hopefully these beekeepers will keep up the good work.

You're in southern Georgia, aren't you? (Janie made a smart-alecky remark somewhere else about you being in "north Florida." :whistle: ) I think you could be in an affected area ... and so could Janie, for that matter. Africanized killer bees have moved to more northern latitudes out West, in Phoenix and New Mexico, where it can sometimes get pretty cold.

butterfly1061
02-19-2006, 12:44 PM
You're in southern Georgia, aren't you? (Janie made a smart-alecky remark somewhere else about you being in "north Florida." :whistle: )

I'm actually in the same metro area as Janie - just the south part. North Florida, humph! About 3-4 hours from the stateline depending on how fast you drive.

I think you could be in an affected area ...

Great :( I have those railroad ties in my yard and I'm aldready having a problem with yellow jackets in them. Concrete doesn't sound so bad anymore.

Kathryn
02-19-2006, 02:18 PM
We have our own bee hives for pollination here on the farm and for our own honey production. :)
Killer bees have been moving up from Texas into Oklahoma. >: They really respond to carbon dioxide breathed out by their target victim. We have chemicals on hand just in case..just like that used for fire ants.

Family in Texas said burning out the hive is not a successful tactic and they have resorted to super insecticides sprayed into the hive after dark. 8o The guys going in use special suits with breathing tanks..