PDA

View Full Version : OOPs...onions!

Kathryn
02-21-2006, 12:04 PM
This morning I was in the kitchen running veggies thru the processor for a Mexican salad for dinner tonight.
Zipper got out of his cage and came to see what I was doing and started sampling the chopped onions. I could see him going for the shredded carrots...but onions!:eek:
Do lovies have a sense of smell? If so, Zipper's snocker doesn't work too good cause that was some pungent onion!:lol
He nibbled several before moving on to the carrot. I gave him an apple slice to keep him busy.

Angelwing
02-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Actually, onions haven't been fully researched yet, and it isn't recommended feeding to any pet, that I know of. I'd stay clear of the onions, most definitely.

Buy A Paper Doll
02-21-2006, 02:40 PM
Do lovies have a sense of smell?
It's probably not as strong as their sense of being where they're not supposed to be, eating what they're not supposed to eat!! :lol

I made the mistake of taking my pair in the kitchen last night while I was prepping food, for their last few minutes of out of cage time before I started cooking. They started running for a slab of raw bacon! :eek: I got them away from it in time but good grief, raw bacon?! :x

shylevon
02-22-2006, 12:36 AM
Birdies have a very different sense of smell, and taste, than humans.

But, alas, avoid giving onions to any pet, as they can cause anemia if given in quantity or to often.

I'm glad the apple worked for distraction. They are curious little buggers, aren't they?

p3rr4n
02-23-2006, 02:46 AM
They started running for a slab of raw bacon! :eek: I got them away from it in time but good grief, raw bacon?! :x

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:rofl:

LauraO
02-23-2006, 09:28 AM
There's nothing worse than a lovie dad who's parenting babies. Mine can have three plates of fresh food with about five or more things in it along with seed and they are still diligently after whatever us humans have:x :x . It must be some sort of survival instinct because it just doesn't stop: ever8o .

Kathryn
02-23-2006, 11:21 AM
I chuckle to think what Sophia thought of Zipper's onion breath.:lol Wonder if that was a turnoff.
Laura definitely what we have is tempting.
Even ice cream in a bowl is an enticement...Cutie tried to snuggle up for a taste last night. Had to whisk that milk product away quickly. Always the vigilent mom.

Buy A Paper Doll
02-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Laura definitely what we have is tempting.
Even ice cream in a bowl is an enticement...Cutie tried to snuggle up for a taste last night. Had to whisk that milk product away quickly. Always the vigilent mom.
Gets exhausting, keeping lovies out of trouble, doesn't it? :lol

fpmeehan
02-23-2006, 01:00 PM
I think it's part of being a flock for these little darlings. They follow their leader, us. When they see us eating something, they think it's their turn for a taste. I thought their best senses were eyesite and hearing and that smell wasn't that acute which may be the reason for not noticing the onion smell.

butterfly1061
02-23-2006, 01:17 PM
I thought their best senses were eyesite and hearing and that smell wasn't that acute which may be the reason for not noticing the onion smell.

I agree. I believe that was posted once from someone with more experience than me. Those little featherbutts can hear me from across the house if my ankle bone cracks. I don't know why I ever decided to connect my alarm system. I don't believe I need it :lol

Z28Taxman
02-23-2006, 08:59 PM
I think it's part of being a flock for these little darlings. They follow their leader, us. When they see us eating something, they think it's their turn for a taste. I thought their best senses were eyesite and hearing and that smell wasn't that acute which may be the reason for not noticing the onion smell.

Yep. They don't have a very well developed sense of smell or taste. But their ability to distinguish colors is much better than ours (except for nocturnal birds like owls).