PDA

View Full Version : Larger Parrots

Angelwing
02-21-2006, 12:59 PM
As some of you may know, I'm looking for a bit bigger bird than a lovebird. Not a macaw or anything, but something around 10 inches, and that doesn't have a much louder scream than a lovebird. I've found a breeder in Manitoba that breeds Senegals, Rose Crowned Conures, and Goffins, but I can always get a bird shipped from Canada (providing there are breeders willing...). The cage I have right now that the new bird would go in can be found here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/CaligoAvalonis/Birdies/DSC00894.jpg). Note that there are two cages in this picture, which are stackable. I would love a Sun Conure, but they are waaay too loud for my parents. So I've been looking at Green Cheek Conures and the Senegals. I know a few of you have birds besides lovebirds, so if you could share your experience with them for me, that'd be appreciated.

Angela
02-21-2006, 01:38 PM
I don't currently have any other birds besides my 2 lovies...
Not from lack of wanting;)
:2cents: if space and money were not a problem and I was able to have any bird right now, my first choice would be a Hyacinth macaw :lol I just love those big blue giants! But I think that a hyacinth is a bit too big for the cage you have:p
My second choice would be a Pionus either a dusky or a blue headed, I have been reading a lot about parrots and from the info I have read they are medium sized parrots full of personality without a lot of the nervousness many parrots have, they are realitively "calm" parrots...if those two words can go together...:rolleyes:

mjm8321
02-21-2006, 03:56 PM
I have a Senegal and would not recommend having one in that cage. Their beaks are extremely strong and would have the coating off the bars in a flash. I do recommend a Senegal; however they can become very attached to just one person and they need a lot of attention to keep them social with multiple people. If they do bond to just the one person, it can be a very intense thing and any changes in environment generally are not well received.
With that said, Senegals are somewhat quiet, but love to climb, hang upside down, learn very quickly are wonderful birds.
Green cheeks are, from what I've read and heard, delightful little creatures, but I cannot tell you firsthand.

LauraO
02-21-2006, 04:39 PM
I agree that that cage is too small for a senegal or a conure. Like I said, I have two Meyer's parrots and love them. They are quiet and sweet but not playful and crazy. Senegals are related to the senegals (poicephelus sp.?) and have similiar traits.

I don't have a GCC but have seen them and they are smaller then sengals and Meyer's so that might be a good transition to a little bigger bird.

Angelwing
02-21-2006, 10:18 PM
I don't currently have any other birds besides my 2 lovies...
Not from lack of wanting;)
:2cents: if space and money were not a problem and I was able to have any bird right now, my first choice would be a Hyacinth macaw :lol I just love those big blue giants! But I think that a hyacinth is a bit too big for the cage you have:p
My second choice would be a Pionus either a dusky or a blue headed, I have been reading a lot about parrots and from the info I have read they are medium sized parrots full of personality without a lot of the nervousness many parrots have, they are realitively "calm" parrots...if those two words can go together...:rolleyes:

Heheh. I'd love to have an even larger bird (African Grey is my first choice) but I'm going to have to wait a few years. I think most Pionus species are a little too large for the cage I have.

I went to Petland after work today and saw two Senegals. They are beautiful, but I agree, are much too large for the cage I have. There were also two GCCs there as well, and I almost took them home. :(They would be fine in that cage, although I am only looking for one.

linda040899
02-21-2006, 10:41 PM
The cage you want is not really suitable for a larger parrot. I might use it for a Cockatiel, but nothing else. I use those for my Abyssinains, and I've had to get rid of a couple of cages because the Abbys took the coating off the bars. The cage looks nice but it's not sturdy enough for a larger parrot. Just my :2cents:

I have a Timneh Grey and a Congo. Gotta say I love them both dearly. Noise wise, they have their moments but Sun Conures, Cockatoos, Amazons and Macaws are 1,000 times worse. From what everyone here has been saying, a Green Cheek Conure might be a good choice. I love Painted Conures and they are fairly quiet but they are also rare and expensive..... :)

Angelwing
02-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Yes, my options are somewhat limited with this cage. Maybe if I move something out of my room...;)

Linda, you should post more pictures of all your birds. I don't think I've seen very many.

I'd love to have a Hahns Mini Macaw as well, and although I've only seen pictures, I'm guessing their beak size is too much for that cage. The GCC and Cockatiels are around the same, so it'd be all right for them. I've been wanting a GCC for quite some time now anyhow, I just need to find a local breeder. The painted conures are gorgeous, but if I'm having trouble finding a GCC, then I'm guessing I wouldn't have much luck finding someone who breeds painteds.

cassysmiley
02-22-2006, 02:58 AM
Hiya Angelwing

Get a Senegal Parrot. i own 1 and he is a nutcase. :rofl:
Have taught him how to wolf whistle, he whistles to colonel bogey and now as learnt to lines of happy birthday to you.
They are great climbers and some of the postions he gets himself into, would make you cringe.
He also says "night night" when i cover him up. he also err has learnt how to (can i type this.!!) Fart :blush: , this he learnt off of the kakarikis i used to have. Yes senegal can be noisy when spooked. but its not that often, if anything they chatter very quietly to themselves. Oh he also does the Dead parrot act. he lies flat on his back in my hands. Loves his swing ect.
Has for the cage Parrot get through that in no time.
I have put a couple of links to show you what cage he is in and what he looks like. Hope the links work. You can get smaller cages not as big as what he is in now. He was in a smaller cage on wheels, but since he no longer comes out anymore, i had to get him a bigger cage so he could have a flap and really stretch out his wings.
Hope this Helps.
cassy.
Here are the links..

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2117355068

Oh sugar, i just did a preview and it takes you to my album, just click on the link and loook for Red and his new cage. there is about 3 photos of him there.

mjm8321
02-22-2006, 12:45 PM
I'd love to have a Hahns Mini Macaw as well, and although I've only seen pictures
:rofl: Mini Macaws have the same personality as the big 'uns. We recently adopted a Illigers Macaw and although she has lots of toys and gets a lot of attention, she can turn the volume up. Adorable, playful and sweet, but even the beak i=on a mini macaw can draw blood and bruise easily.

Cassy, I love the pictures of Red. Our Senegal is literally, an odd bird. His eyes never turned yellow, they've stayed a pale yellowish-white color.

Angelwing
02-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Hiya Angelwing

Get a Senegal Parrot. i own 1 and he is a nutcase. :rofl:
Have taught him how to wolf whistle, he whistles to colonel bogey and now as learnt to lines of happy birthday to you.
They are great climbers and some of the postions he gets himself into, would make you cringe.
He also says "night night" when i cover him up. he also err has learnt how to (can i type this.!!) Fart :blush: , this he learnt off of the kakarikis i used to have. Yes senegal can be noisy when spooked. but its not that often, if anything they chatter very quietly to themselves. Oh he also does the Dead parrot act. he lies flat on his back in my hands. Loves his swing ect.
Has for the cage Parrot get through that in no time.
I have put a couple of links to show you what cage he is in and what he looks like. Hope the links work. You can get smaller cages not as big as what he is in now. He was in a smaller cage on wheels, but since he no longer comes out anymore, i had to get him a bigger cage so he could have a flap and really stretch out his wings.
Hope this Helps.
cassy.
Here are the links..

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2117355068

Oh sugar, i just did a preview and it takes you to my album, just click on the link and loook for Red and his new cage. there is about 3 photos of him there.

Very nice pictures, thanks. :) Both the wild and tame birds are beautiful!

Although the Senegals sound great, I don't have room for any additional cages, at the moment. But I still love hearing stories!

Mini Macaws have the same personality as the big 'uns. We recently adopted a Illigers Macaw and although she has lots of toys and gets a lot of attention, she can turn the volume up. Adorable, playful and sweet, but even the beak i=on a mini macaw can draw blood and bruise easily.

The Illigers Macaws are also gorgeous. Why haven't you shown us any pictures yet? :mad:

Thanks everyone, for your stories/advice. I know of a breeder who ships GCCs from Ontario, so I have an option there.

mjm8321
02-22-2006, 01:38 PM
The Illigers Macaws are also gorgeous. Why haven't you shown us any pictures yet? :lol Are you related to Lori (Bellarains)? :rofl:

I'll get some pics of my girl posted soon, just need to get them uploaded to my work computer!

Angelwing
02-23-2006, 11:49 PM
:cool:

Well, I'm putting payment down to reserve a baby green cheek conure within the next couple days. The baby will be ready in two weeks. :)