PDA

View Full Version : it seems to be working

peppero1
02-22-2006, 10:52 AM
OK so a few weeks ago I posted an SOS about my bird not wanting to spend time with me and I was wondering if he still wanted to be friends etc...
Well the upshot was to remove the happy hut and make a few changes. Here is what I did:

-Remove happy hut each morning and put it back only at bed time
-Move cage to a quiet room which is nice and dark at night
-Spend time with the bird in the morning and don't keep him up so late at night
-Let his feathers grow in
-Taught him how to locate his cage and climb up to it when he really wants to go home.

The result ---- Drum roll please ----
It's like he is a different bird, he comes out of the cage or steps up on my hands in the cage to come out. He seems to really enjoy being pet and has been acting quite affectionate lately and generally he seems more confident and happier.
I really think that his ability to fly has made him less afraid of new things, also, I showed him and taught him how to locate his cage when he is in other areas of the apartment and climb up into it, so he can go home when he has had enough 'outside' time.
I really appreciate everyone's advice, it has really made a difference.

Janie
02-22-2006, 12:07 PM
What a great update!!!!!! Isn't it wonderful when the advice you are offered really works? :D I'm so happy to hear that things are much better!:happy:

butterfly1061
02-22-2006, 12:25 PM
GREAT!!! Now you have a lovebug on your hands :D It only gets better.

shylevon
02-22-2006, 11:16 PM
I find that if I leave the hut in the cage all the time, my birds spend too much time in it. Good call, and it's great you got your birdie back.

Angelwing
02-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Glad to hear the change! I love having a cuddle bug. :)

Z28Taxman
02-23-2006, 08:52 PM
I find that if I leave the hut in the cage all the time, my birds spend too much time in it. Good call, and it's great you got your birdie back.

Ditto only goes in his happy hut when the light goes off. He will sometimes stand on top of it if I'm on the couch and he wants to come over.

bellarains
02-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Yep,

The happy huts, or cozy caves are wonderful for night time, but my hen would spend 24/7 in hers if I left it in the cage, so I only put it in at night-night time.

I'm glad to hear things are turning around. It is always wonderful to hear progress:D