PDA

View Full Version : ok so I got a new lovie :)

MrsDutchy
02-22-2006, 02:31 PM
I am such a sucker for birdies!!! Tonight, my hubby and I picked up our newest addition, a 4 year old whiteface green lovie (maybe violet factor as well). He's in quarantine right now in my spare office and screaming to the living room where Sushi and Miso are.

What a size difference in this new guy and my current masked lovies, he looks huge compared to the masks! He seems very tame but we'll see as he settles in but he isnt affraid of me at all and not even attempting to bite when I put new food and water in his cage when we got him home.

I'll get some pictures of him tomorrow to see if anyone can help me to id his mutation but he may be a seagreen whiteface with violet factor, he sure is pretty! I am not sure if he is moulting or plucking but he's missing a few chest feathers.

Oh and I let the hubby name this one.. so.. being that we live in holland and all he's calling him Heiney teeheee!

butterfly1061
02-22-2006, 02:41 PM
Oh, I can't wait to see pictures of your little guy! He sounds adorable already. It's ok to be a sucker for lovies - I am too :D

MrsDutchy
02-22-2006, 02:44 PM
I am really surprised that he isnt affraid at all. I am not pushing my luck by trying to get my finger within biting distance since I dont know if he will bite or not. But he seams sooooo tame. I bought him from an old lady (for about 30 bucks including the cage) who was just getting too old to care for him anymore. but she said he is tame.

Oh and I am pretty sure he is a he (she didnt say) but he's been in my home for an hour and when I go in the room he tried to regurgitate at me and I heard the clicky sound for the first time lmao!

MrsDutchy
02-22-2006, 03:03 PM
here are 3 really bad pics of the new boy.. without flash so they are very dark and the color is icky. I'll take better pictures tomorrow morning when the sun is out :D

http://gina.xtcfm.com/wp-gallery2.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=864

Janie
02-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Gina, he sure is pretty. I don't know my colors but he looks a lot like Jeanette's (the breeder I bought two from) daughters bird.

Glad that you could give him a home! :) That clicky/clicky sure is a cute sound, isn't it? :D

butterfly1061
02-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Gina,

He's a pretty little boy and cute too. Sounds like he likes you already :D

MrsDutchy
02-22-2006, 03:55 PM
I am thinking that his actions (almost immediate actions of regurgitation and the clicking sound) probably mean he's a boy, am I assuming correctly? He is a little over 4 years old. My other 2 are way too young to even act like that, one is 2 months and the other is 6 months so right now I have no clue what they are lol!

But this is pretty neat. All 3 of my birds are in the exact same brand/color of cages so once the quarantine is all over they will be in a neat line of matching cages behind the couch :D

Janie
02-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Gina, I have zero hen experience but I do know that all three of my boys make the clicky-clicky noise. I'd say that the fact that this new bird has never laid an egg in four years is a pretty good indication that it is a boy. Not a definite but at four, "he" probably would have laid one by now if "he" was a "she".....:lol

MrsDutchy
02-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks Janie, I agree he probably is a boy though the owner didnt mention anything about eggs before. Anywhooo I am so excited! He seems to like me already and his colors are so soft and so pretty! "Heiney" is sound asleep on his swing now. I can't wait to see how he is tomorrow and spend some more time in the quarentine room with him. I tried to give him a piece of millet tonight and he just stared at it.. I wonder if he's never had millet before?!?!

I am going to try to get some better pictures of him tomorrow to see if you all can help me to ID his color :D For now I am off to sleep!

Angelwing
02-22-2006, 05:03 PM
He's definitely a beauty! I'm having trouble seeing his wing feathers, but I don't think he's a whiteface. Give us more pictures!

mjm8321
02-22-2006, 05:16 PM
He's a cutie. Could be a Seagreen or a Dutch blue, but hard to tell without a clear picture of the beak.

MrsDutchy
02-22-2006, 05:16 PM
His face is completely white except for the orangish strip over his eyes. the green is a light green all over his body except for the purplishblue butt but I'll try to get better pictures when its lighty in the house tomorrow :D

MrsDutchy
02-22-2006, 05:26 PM
Just checked his beak and it is clearly pink at the top to a cream color near the tip.. uhmm what does that mean? hehehehe

Z28Taxman
02-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Just checked his beak and it is clearly pink at the top to a cream color near the tip.. uhmm what does that mean? hehehehe

That sounds like a seagreen. Just like Ditto's beak. :cool:

bellarains
02-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Gina,

Heiney!!!!! I love it!!!! Your hubby is much better at names than my hubby. We have three cats, Orange, Fred and Ms. Kitty. Yep, he named them all:lol

Heiney is a cutie pie. That sounds like male behavior to me, but then again, we have been fooled before:rolleyes:

MrsDutchy
02-23-2006, 03:07 AM
woohooo much better pictures are in the album nowwwww!!!
Check them out!! http://gina.xtcfm.com/wp-gallery2.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=864

oh and you can see from some of the pics that he has some spots of missing feathers on his chest, I am not sure if its molting or from plucking

graushill
02-23-2006, 05:01 AM
Hi Gina!

Heiney is definitely a cutie :). I'm not at all good with mutations, but he kind of reminds me of Barb's hen, Gracie, and I think she's a whiteface seagreen lovie. As for the missing feathers in his chest that you mention, I didn't really notice any bald spots. In any case, regular molting should never leave bald patches. Bald patches are usually a sign of plucking or some other problem, so a vet visit could be in order if you really think he's looking light in the feather department. That said, I think Heiney looks pretty healthy and featherful (that's probably not a word in english, but I hope you know what I mean) to me :).

Congrats on your new fid, and thanks for posting the pictures!

Gloria

MrsDutchy
02-23-2006, 05:15 AM
yeah its not bald, per say but a bit spotchy and you can see if in a few of the pictures. I see a few of what looks like small chest feathers on teh bottom of the cage so maybe its a molt. He seems VERY healthy and he's a big boy.. huge compared to my other 2 masked lol

Angela
02-23-2006, 07:06 AM
from what I can see of your pics heiney looks to be a dutch blue or sea green, I think a white face has to have a complete absence of peach coloring around the face, and I think I see the little peachy orange headband that is typical of dutch blue and/or sea green.
He's a beautiful bird:)

Z28Taxman
02-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Nice Heiney!:p

Somebody had to say it! :rofl:

Kathryn
02-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Better than the name my brother gave his cat: Herpees.:rofl:

Heiney looks just like my Mollie. She is a Dutch Blue.
Glad he has a lovely home.

Finnysmommie
02-23-2006, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=bellarains]Gina,

Heiney!!!!! I love it!!!! Your hubby is much better at names than my hubby. We have three cats, Orange, Fred and Ms. Kitty. Yep, he named them all:lol

ok I loved this post.. Now I know my hubby is not the only one! I just asked him last night to give me some ideas what to name our new birdie when she gets here. I said "remember she is a girl and she will be blue". He said "oh oh, Ive got it", "lets name her blueyournose". For a second I thought my eyes would actually stick in the rolled position like our mothers always threatened they would.

Congrats on the new birdie msdutchy! I have to say he is a beauty (this has nothing to do with the fact he looks just like Finny):rofl:

I dont have any experience at all with little girl lovies so I can't compare but I think the little boys are a hoot!

Cindy aka Finnysmommie

bellarains
02-23-2006, 12:41 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Said like a man Dave:roll: :roll: :roll: :lol