PDA

View Full Version : She's just very....

Mandolin
02-26-2006, 12:39 AM
.... Horny :eek: !!! Sorry to be a bit crude but thats the way my boyfriend put it. I was concerned today about Kameko acting funny so i mentioned it to him and that is what he told me. She has gone through days where she has given me the "superbird" position everytime my hand when near her.... couldn't help but feel a little violated, :lol . But today was a new experience.
She has been sitting in her nesty corner a lot lately; now she even sits there with one foot tucked away. She will sit there, foot pulled up, and usually chewing on something like a piece of string she has torn off her toys (she chews them like gum when she is like this), and she does her "come mate with me" clicks. The second i put my hand in there, instant full wing spread, tail up, ready to go. The wierdest thing she did today was how she played with her wooden bead that came off her toy. She usually tosses it around but today she tossed it then would chase it clicking away, run up to it with her beak and belly really low, toss it again do the "superbird", click some more, then shuffle herself into her nesty corner and tuck her foot away, then repeat. If i get close i get more "come mate with me" and superbirds if i put my hand in. What a goof :roll: . I just wanted to share this interesting behaviour. Now she is back to her normal self, i guess the moment passed :lol .

shylevon
02-26-2006, 01:18 AM
Don't be surprised is you get an eggie or two out of the deal. Even single hens can lay eggs, and it seems her hormones are in full swing.

Oftentimes petting a bird on the back brings about, or intensifies this behavior and natural hormone surges. Try to pet only her head, if you can, and not run your hand down the length of her body. This will help the mood pass and hopefully curtail a nesting incident.

bellarains
02-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Mandy,

It sounds like Kameko is in full swing. If she does appear to be with egg, you will want to be prepared to give her a nestbox, or makeshift nest. I don't know if you've read about usuing a Kleenex box, but it works well for many here. Just tear out the plastic insert and modify it a little so that Kameko can get inside. Place a little nesting material on the bottom and let her do the rest, she will modify it to her liking when the time comes.

If you want to try and put it off a bit longer, you can re-arrange the cage, and also move the cage location.

Good luck with your Superbird;)

Mandolin
02-26-2006, 12:47 PM
I don't notice any eggie-ness. I can try moving things around in her cage, but the cage itself doesn't leave too many options, lol. So far today she is completely back to normal. I will keep an eye on her and watch for any signs of torpedo butt. If she ends up needing a nest box do i give her a kellenex box with a bunch inside? Do i scrunch them up? Or do i just give her the box and some computer paper on the side?

Mummieeva
02-26-2006, 12:52 PM
You can give her a tissue box(plastic insert taken out) and newspaper(if veggie dye is use) or plain printer paper. I think tissue would be ingest by accident if used. I myself would get a nest box as a tissue box will get chewed also. But that is just my personal opinion. What i do is put a small amount of carefresh at bottom then let the hen do the shreading. Good luck.

Steph