PDA

View Full Version : happy hut question

peppero1
02-27-2006, 10:55 AM
OK, so I recently began removing my bird's happy hut each morning and returning it each evening at bedtime. This has worked out great because he is more interested in being out of the cage and is more tame and affectionate with me.
Here is my issue:
I will be returning to work this week and so I will not be home for much of the day, and so I was wondering if I should leave the happy hut in all day and just remove it when I want him to come out of the cage when I am home. I would hate to remove the hut and then he start to crave some attention that I can't give because I am not home.
So do you think it's OK to leave it in and just remove it a few hours in the evening when I am home? Or, do you think this will dissolve all the progress achieved over the last while in encouraging him to want to be more interested in the out-of-cage world?
Any advice would be appreciated.

bellarains
02-27-2006, 11:04 AM
I would take it out in the morning before you leave, and give it back at bedtime. If he doesn't have the hut, he will be more active during the day, and then sleep better at night.

If you want to give him something to snug up to while you are gone during the day, try giving him a birdy buddy. Here's a link to show you what they are if you don't know.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=6380&Ntt=buddy&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2003&Nty=1

These are wonderful for a single bird, as they give them something to cuddle with, which they would cuddle with their mate if they had one. My Bela loved his, that is until we got Lacey. Now he loves her:)

The other issue with leaving a tent in 24/7 is that they may chew a hole in it, or get snagged in a loose thread, so it is best for you to be there when he has it.

Paulette
02-27-2006, 11:18 AM
I made my lovies some coconuts to snuggle/nap in and if they chew on it it's ok. I also have a couple of tent style huts, but my lovies with this style are fairly young and nowhere near nesting age. If he doesn't chew on his happy hut why couldn't you leave it in for him to nap in.

To make the coconut is very inexpensive if you own a drill and a bird hole cutting bit (like for making bird houses) or know someone who does.
We used the largest bird hole bit and cut a hole on each side of the coconut, drilled a hole in the top, I used a washer and a nut on the inside with a peice of galvanized wire stuck through the hole in the washer and wraped around the nut, the wire then looped around the hanger for hanging.

Here's a picture of the coconuts we made. Picture 43.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2117375830

*I see that Lori and I were posting at the same time and she recommends removing the hut.....she has had lovies longer than I have....and I am home all day. I didn't want anybody thinking I was going against what Lori suggested and trying to ruffle feathers.

bellarains
02-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Paulette,

No ruffled feathers here:lol

All fids are different, some more territorial than others. What makes some territoral, does not affect others, so you really just have to see what works for you.

I do love the coconuts BTW. I had one for Bela when he was a single birdy, and it was his favorite thing, he was a bit stingy with it though, out of all the things in his cage, it was the one thing I was not allowed to touch:rolleyes:

shylevon
02-27-2006, 01:15 PM
I think that removing it will cause birdie to get some exercise during the day. If the hut is in there, and he is bored, he may nap all day and that isn't the best for his sleep cycle.

A few extra toys may do the trick if he is lonely or bored.

bubble
02-27-2006, 06:28 PM
if you are not home i would absolutely remove the happy hut as the loose thread is very dangerous to the birdie. i have several occasions that my lovies feet or neck got tangle with the thread, lucky they were until supervision if not they would be dead or seriously injuired.

MrsDutchy
02-28-2006, 05:36 AM
I agree to remove it. My Sushi had a happy hut in her/his cage for a few months until I noticed she was ripping it apart a tiny bit at a time. Now I only put it in at night and remove it in the morning no matter how angry he/s is at me. As a matter of fact she's gotten so angry that its gone that she's been chewing the powder coating off of her new cage :( Any idea how to curb this behavior? I just noticed it last night.

MrsDutchy
02-28-2006, 06:01 AM
so wait I have a very stupid question about the coconut hut- do you just buy a normal coconut at a grocery store or where do you buy it? I want to try making one but need to be sure I buy the right thing and the steps to make it lol

bellarains
02-28-2006, 08:36 AM
Gina,

I made a toy out of leather strips and sisal for Lacey to chew on, this seems to keep her happy as far as chewing goes, but does not allow her to shred, which keeps the nesty behavior from peeking through.

I haven't made a coconut hut, but I have bought one. It was a great, and Bela loved it, but I have to say, he was territorial of it:rolleyes:

shylevon
02-28-2006, 11:55 PM
The coconut huts are just the husk part, no white stuff inside at all. You can get them from a pet store for pretty cheap. They have three or four 2" holes drilled around the circumference for birdies to crawl into. They typically hang from the cage ceiling by a chain.

Don't know how you'd make one, but I say that as a person who has never seen a coconut in it's maiden form.

Janie
03-01-2006, 08:52 AM
They are inexpensive to buy....and to give away! :D That is the one hanging toy that Big Boi and Shy did not like so I gave it to Jackie! :lol

butterfly1061
03-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Yep, I have the one Janie gave me and two or three more. All my birds like them except Molly. Daisy & Olivia wear it out crawling through it. There's not enough room to do anything in it but hangout. :p