PDA

View Full Version : So... about this stepping up thing....

b.a.
02-28-2006, 09:39 PM
I've been reading a lot of bird books since I got my (still un-named) bird 2 weeks ago, and they all mention training to step-up. I've tried it a few times w/ very little success. So, I was wondering, should I continue to try and train him to step-up, or wait 'til we know each other better? The few times I have tried it was only about 5 min. in length each time.

I have to add that today was the first time I felt like he responded to me in a positive way. :) I had read in one of the books to try blowing warm air on their feathers, and he really liked it! It was so cool. I also read that you should let them see you eat. So he joined us for dinner and it was really fun to watch him eat. He even got curious enough to steal some food. I don't know about bird table manners yet, but it was really cute to watch.

That's all!
BettyAnn

LauraO
02-28-2006, 09:54 PM
BettyAnn: How tame is your little lovie. Stepping up is fundamental and absolutely necessary. All the birds that I sell or give away leave my house knowing how to step up. For me, it means the new owners don't have to grab at the lovie when they are in an uncertain situation. If your little one is hand shy you could always try using a dowel. Others on the board have had more experience in teaching the step up command and may have some tips. Thinking back on my experience, it's been different with all of my lovies.

Good Luck

shylevon
03-01-2006, 12:01 AM
It also helps if you are in a small room, with no distractions. Try the bathroom, sit on the floor, so you can both concentrate. Don't repeat the moves too quickly, give lots of praise for each step before continuing with the next command. Birdie will sense your pleased tone and this will reassure him. Step-ups for five minutes are a great interval in the beginning. Birdies can get bored of too many repetitions. If he flies off during the exercise, catch him and begin again.

If your birdie is not really all that comfortable with you yet, a little 'get to know you better' time will be beneficial. Step-up training is important, but not if it means you are hurting a friendship that is still growing into trust. If birdie is afraid of hands, or you, let him get to know you better first.

Janie
03-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Good advice from Laura and Shy! :)

My older bird, Oliver, came to me knowing how to "step up" and it didn't matter if I said those words, "step up" or just put my finger up to him. He always hopped on! :D But, because I read here that the command is important, I always say it to him now, just so he'll know what that means.

When I got Shy and Big Boi, they were very young and had no idea what "step up" meant so I always say that to them when I remove them from their cage or from the floor. It takes time but they do learn our language when they hear it often enough.....like about 50 times a day! :lol Sometimes when I approach them and tell them to "step up" they take off in the opposite direction but the little buggers do know what it means but just aren't interested in minding their momma! :D It takes time but you'll get there with patience and persistence! :)

b.a.
03-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Thanks for all the great tips and advice. And 3 weeks later... he's come around a LOT! He is now stepping up, most of the time, and it is very cool :) BettyAnn

b.a.
03-08-2006, 08:47 AM
P.S.

Does anyone have any tips on stepping down? We're going to try that next.
Thanks!

Mandolin
03-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Haha... yeah that can be the hard part if your lovie is really set on staying put. I have that problem putting Kameko back in her cage. She will flat out refuse to get off my finger and bite down to hold on if necessary. The tricks i have found that work (especially when putting her back in her cage):
- When putting her on a perch, get her behind it so she is stepping onto it toward you. Then she thinks she is coming toward you instead of away.
- When she is on your index finger and you are trying to get her off and on to something else, use your thumb under her bum to give her a little nudge in the right direction.
- And make sure to use some command like down, or off just like when she is learning to step up so she will learn what the command means.
Anyway thats my :2cents:

Janie
03-08-2006, 02:53 PM
My younger lovies do not like to go back into their cage but if they really push it, I pick them up off my finger or shoulder and put them onto a perch inside the cage.

Mandolin
03-08-2006, 05:00 PM
My younger lovies do not like to go back into their cage but if they really push it, I pick them up off my finger or shoulder and put them onto a perch inside the cage.
:lol Yeah that's Kameko's final option as well. I get the birdie version of the evil eye :evil: after i have to do that.

Z28Taxman
03-08-2006, 05:42 PM

On the rare occasion that Ditto won't step off my finger into a perch, I'll put the tip of his beak on his boing and start slowly lowering my hand. He gets the hint and grabs the boing and hops on. :cool:

Cooper
03-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Cooper has started to jump back onto the door and stick her head out to block the door. If she's too slow I can usually get it shut and then I get a series of birdie cusses.