PDA

View Full Version : Do Lovebirds Talk?

Phoebe
03-01-2006, 10:59 PM
I know my cockatiel and budgies do but one of my lovies. Phoebe, says Phoebeweebe several times a day, especially in the morning after I uncover her. Is this just coincident? Thanks!:whistle: p.s. It's fun playing the Phoebeweebe game just to see who will stop first.

Angelwing
03-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Yep, we have some members here who's lovies talk. It's more rare for a lovebird to speak, but not impossible! I have an English Budgie (Buddy)who talks, and I think he's teaching one of my regular budgies. I could have sworn Sunny said 'pretty bird' the other day. Maybe Buddy will help me teach everyone. It's great to have talking birdies, isn't it.

shylevon
03-01-2006, 11:13 PM
That's right, we do have a few members with lovies that talk.

I, however, have had no more luck teaching my flock to speak human than they have had luck teaching me lovebird. I think if you repeat some words often, they will begin to try to mimic them. Quite effectively sometimes.

Phoebe
03-01-2006, 11:22 PM
So I would imagine that "Phoebeweebie" is probably all that she would say?
I did have a cockatiel that I lost due to my own neglect (his wings were due for a clipping) and he had a vocabulary of many words, still miss him a lot!! One of my budgies says a couple of things and I am getting another rescue budgie that supposedly talks a bit but didn't think that loveys talked at all, guess they can.:rofl:

Phoebe
03-01-2006, 11:25 PM
When birds do talk, it's so cute, keeps you smiling all day long, whatever crap happens.:lol

Mandolin
03-02-2006, 01:08 AM
My Kamkeko says "pretty bird" and "pretty girl". I have heard her sort of say "Kameko" but that is pretty rare and it could just be a muffled pretty bird. She started doing it on her own. We just always called her a pretty bird and one night she spontaneously started saying it over and over again. It is really cute when they do learn. I have a couple video's of Kameko talking in the photo gallery. The best one is called "Talking with Kameko" it is the most clear. Just keep saying the same thing to your bird and she may pick something else up. Good luck.

Mummieeva
03-02-2006, 04:10 AM
None of mine talk. I think I am glad cause with 3 human kids talking birds might be to much..lol.

Steph

HeatherH
03-02-2006, 06:14 AM
If my flock talked I think I would go insane... :) My husband is getting a TAG soon.. I think that will be enough speech for me!

I do remember when I was younger I had a friend with a budgie that swore... it was cute because you werent expecting it from this sweet little bird!!! Although personally I would never teach my birds to have foul language

bellarains
03-02-2006, 07:43 AM
My lutino Bela says a couple of things, but he's not very plain spoken. He says, "Luv You" and "Peek" for peek-a-boo. These are things we say everyday, and often as of course I love him to pieces, and he loves to play peek-a-boo:)

Elle
03-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Blu also says a few words. She does a combination of pretty pretty, pretty blu, pretty bird, pretty birdie. She also says thank you and hello and want some. These days we are working on watcha doing? I think she bit her tongue a few times on that one :lol
It's not that clear, however, poeple who don't know her are still able to pick up on what she says.:)