PDA

View Full Version : Evie is here!

Finnysmommie
03-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Ok so our little girl is either not so hand tamed or just petrified after her flight and being in a new home.

I have her in a seperate room but I have both doors open right now. Her and Finny are talking to each other. She seems very fearful of us and the talking to Finny seems to make her more comfortable. They cannot see each other and do not have access to each other. Is this ok? Also can Finny go into the room she is in as long as he does not go to the cage so the he does not have contact with her?

Also I think they sent me the wrong bird...lol she does not look like her picture at all. But, I could never send her back after having met her. She is still very pretty and I am hoping she will be very happy here.

I will be sure to take some pictures as soon as she calms down a little bit. She was sooooo scared when we took her out of her traveling cage. I could see her little body just shaking and she was breathing so hard.

Well I am going to go into her room and talk to her a while so she gets used to me and my voice.

Cindy
Mommie to Finian (Finny) and Aoibheann (Evie)

Mummieeva
03-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Yeah!! I was watchign for this post. She will take a bit to get use to you. If you think she is wrong bird in picture I would contact the breeder just to be sure. Even if you keeping her. As for being in same room sadly it is no. It is to protect Finny from anything the new girl got at her old home or on the trip. My new bird and my current birds chatter to each other also. it is funny but I swear they are yelling to the new bird that I am ok.lol. Just give her a few days to settle. Just remember to talk to her often.COngrads and pictures soon..lol.

Steph

Angelwing
03-07-2006, 12:53 AM
They have to stay in separate rooms, in case Evie may have an airborne disease. Staying in separate rooms would help contain it. Also, wash your hands after dealing with Evie and her cage/dishes etc. before touching Finny or anything belonging to him. In other words, after you're done with Evie, wash your hands!

Yes, just spend a lot of time talking to Evie, and sitting by her cage while you eat, read etc. if you like. You'll bond faster that way. I look forward to the pictures.

Anyways, congrats! I know how excited you must be. :)

bellarains
03-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Hi Cindy,

I am glad to hear Evie made it safely. I also had Lacey flown to me, and she was a little freaked out by the flight, but she calmed down after a couple of days.

Yep, to observe quarantine, that means to interaction, and totally seperate rooms. For the washing up between birds, I used bath robes. I felt like I lived in bath robes for a month. It was easier than changing clothes though, and then all I had to do was wash up my hands.

I knew Lacey was fine because I got her from a very reputible breeder, Linda here, but I still observed quarantine until I got her grams stain tests back, and I knew she didn't have PBFD in her aviary, so that was fine. We quarantined for three weeks anyway, and that also gave me time to form a one on one relationship with her before introducing her to Bela.

With my GCC I had a full well bird check, grams stain, blood tests, the whold nine yards. Even with that, we observed a 45 day quarantine before letting them share the same air space.

I know after seeing Evie there is no way you could send her back. Hey, some things are just meant to be, and if Evie is indeed the wrong bird at the moment, I'm sure she will be the right bird in no time at all:)

Looking forward to those pics:D

Janie
03-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Congratulations! :)

All good advice above. They should not share the same air space during quarantine which is the worst part, IMHO, of adding a new bird. Seems like those 30 days will never pass....but, they do! :D I moved Oliver downstairs and put Big Boi and Shy in the room where Oliver slept at night and that room is an upstairs bedroom. I always kept that door closed and I don't think Oliver ever even heard them so imagine his shock when he first saw them! :lol

I am sure that Evie is a little freaked out by everything right now, including the flight but I'll bet she'll feel right at home very soon. :) Keep us posted!

butterfly1061
03-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Poor little Evie has had such a tramatic time. I hope she will feel comfortable in a few days. I can't wait to see pictures. Glad to know she's home :)

Finnysmommie
03-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Thank you for all the replies. I kind of figured they should not share the same airspace but it does not hurt to ask.

Finny and Evie are just jabbering away at each other right now from their rooms accross the hall from each other. She turns her back on me every time I come into the room :cry: Finny never did this so I am a bit hurt..lol

I did manage to snap a few pictures of her that I will be posting on the photo page but probably not until this evening. I dont think she apprecaited me taking pictures of her while she is still so new to her environment..lol

I am concerned that she is not drinking but it is so hard to tell. She has not touched her food at all that I can tell but she is nibbling on the millet. I put water in two places for her in her cage so that she will have better access and hopefully she will drink.

I opened her cage and we sat in the sun (through the window) for a while this afternoon. She flew out of her cage and let me chase her around a little bit..lol When I do pick her up to take her back to cage she never bites (she is sooo sweet). Do you think they are laughing at us when they go under the bed and know we can't get to them??? :rofl:

If she does not drink anything tonight should I try and hold her and get her to drink? I am just concerned as flying does tend to dehydrate people so I assume it is the same with birdies.

Anyway, stay tuned for pictures in the gallery later :D

Cindy
Mommie of the soon to be engaged couple :rofl:

Mummieeva
03-07-2006, 05:21 PM
I would contact the breeder and ask her what food Evie was on and were her water dish was. My new bird is slowly getting use to me.

Steph

Finnysmommie
03-07-2006, 05:37 PM
The breeder is actually the one who gave me the food for Evie. Except for her water everything food wise in her cage including the millet is from her former home.
Good idea about the placement of water though I will call or email her ans ask her :-)

Cindy

Janie
03-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Cindy, I worried myself sick the first week that Big Boi and Shy were here. Were they eating, were they drinking, were they happy!!!!! It is sometimes hard to catch them drinking and none of my three drink often. With BB & Shy, I was using a water bottle (still am) since they were weaned to one and since they took so little, I could never be sure if they were taking any. Of course, they were but it was a huge relief the first time I actually saw them do it! As to the food, even that was a little slow for the first couple of days but again, if I was standing there watching, they didn't eat! Yikes, they do like to drive us crazy and worry us sometimes, don't they? :D