PDA

View Full Version : So sad

Mandolin
03-15-2006, 12:27 AM
So does anyone feel like bringing home a sweet pair of Fischers? I was at the petstore again today and they had a pair of young fischers that broke my heart. One of them had either plucked him/herself or was plucked by the other one and the while back of his/her head/neck was bare and there was some plucking around the face. I almost cried. If i had the space and the money i would bring them home in a minute but i am unable to. I hope the pet store takes care of the little guy. I just wanted to share my heartache.:cry:

Janie
03-15-2006, 08:35 AM
Mandy, when I do go into a PetSmart, PetCo or PetLand, I do NOT look at the birds. PetLand also sells DOGS and when I have to go down the isle to get the bird seed I buy there, I hold my hand up to block my view of them. I do visit one store that sells birds and fish and I do look when I go there because their birds are in good condition and turn over fast. All of the employees are well educated about birds and the store uses the same avian vet that I use. Otherwise, I would not look. Even at bird fairs, I don't look at a lot of birds, just toys and seed, cause seeing little parrots that need help just kills me. I know I'd be tempted to save every one that needed saving and then I'd have 100 birds and that won't work for me and would not work for the three I have. It is hard, I know! :(

LauraO
03-15-2006, 11:32 AM
The reality of petshop birds, and any animal for that matter, is they are treated badly more than they are appropriately. I hate going to petstores and only do it when I have to. It's also a sad reality but if someone were to rescue those birds there would be two more to replace them who may suffer the same or worse conditions.

Of course, I've bought and rescued birds in bad condition and sometimes you just can't help it but it's best that we don't.

Angelwing
03-15-2006, 05:30 PM
True, there are many petshops that do not take care of their birds. But there are quite a few here that do. But birds tend to stick around in petstores for longer periods of time than other animals, I find. I feel sorry for all of them, and would take them all in in a heartbeat if I could.

Z28Taxman
03-15-2006, 06:46 PM
True, there are many petshops that do not take care of their birds. But there are quite a few here that do. But birds tend to stick around in petstores for longer periods of time than other animals, I find. I feel sorry for all of them, and would take them all in in a heartbeat if I could.

There are only 2 pet stores that I'll go to. One is That Pet Place, they don't sell the birds themselves, the Humane society runs the bird and Dog/Cat sales and provides the animals. Everytime I've gone into their bird room the humane league person who was working it was cutting up fresh veggies for the birds and they looked in good health and happy.

The one I go to most often is called Feather and Fin. Most of their parrots aren't even in cages. They have play areas with lots of branches and toys for them. The larger parrots hang out with the store owners B&G Macaw over on the side and in the center they usually have either 'tiels or lovies.
On the counter which is quite large and is actually 4 counters arranged in a square, they have smaller play pens where they keep lovies (when they have them) and the baby conures that have fledged but aren't old enough to hang with the Macaw. The only birds I've seen in cages there are budgies, canaries and finches.8)

Angelwing
03-15-2006, 09:01 PM
That's my kinda petstore. :cool: We don't have anything so nice set up here...it's a shame, really.

Z28Taxman
03-15-2006, 09:07 PM
That's my kinda petstore. :cool: We don't have anything so nice set up here...it's a shame, really.

All their birds get handled too. I've had 'tiels hop right on my shoulder as I watched them. Last saturday, the Macaw was really friendly too. As soon as I walked in the store he started shouting hello and waving with is foot.8) He always says hello but this was the first time I've seen him that excited. He was watching over the 2 baby sun conures who were sitting on the next branch in their food dish preening each other until they saw me and came closer. I had to leave before I brought them home too. :whistle:

Mandolin
03-16-2006, 12:49 AM
Wow i wish there was a pet store liek that around here. That sounds like an absolute dream. Actually it is probably a good thing there isn't one like that around here or i would end up living there :lol , not to mention the amount of money i would spend and the multitudes of birds i would end up bringing home :cool: .