PDA

View Full Version : can my lovies get sick from me?

Finnysmommie
03-17-2006, 12:26 AM
I think I am coming down with some type of virus. I have a slight fever and generally don't feel well. Can Finian and Aiobheann catch anything from me?

I am not giving kisses right now to be sure, but, what about breathing?

Cindy

linda040899
03-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Hi Cindy,
Our birds cannot get catch colds for flu viruses from us. Bird flu is a case unto itself but the only illness that humans and birds can pass back and for is Psittacosis/Chlamydia. Imniosuppressed humans can catch avian TB from birds but you don't see that too often. I tend not to kiss my parrots when I'm sick, just too be on the safe side, but they are really not at risk.

Mandolin
03-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Well that is good to know. I always thought they could get sick from us so i have been paranoid everytime i start to show signs of illness. I will still stay on the safe side but i won't be so scared to take Kameko out of her cage and be within 20 feet of me. It is final papers and exam season in University right now so sickness is imminent :x , this relieves some stress :rolleyes: .

Janie
03-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Cindy, I had the flu last week....the REAL flu, chills, fever, headache. Didn't know that they could test for flu (nose swab) or that they had medication for it (Tamiflu) but I was grateful and felt better in 24 hours. I did call my avian vet and they did tell me that I should stay away from my birds. :( I asked them if my birds could get it and they said they seriously doubted they could but aren't positive so I should leave them in their cages for at least one day. I couldn't do that. Oliver is still a velcro birdie and while I did have very little interaction with him and never let my face get in his, I did let him on me for at least an hour that day. I felt so bad that I didn't feel like doing anything but lying on the couch or going to bed. I did not handle Big Boi and Shy but was in and out of their bird room during that day and did let all three out of their cages, in their room, for most of the day. I was sneezing a lot for 2 or 3 days and managed to get out of the bird room when I had to sneeze.

In the past I have asked my dog vet about passing something to my dog and was told the same thing....probably not but they also didn't give me a definite "no".....

Paulette
03-18-2006, 11:46 AM
You guys need to drink some 7up or Sprite, take some tylenol or ibuprofen, and eat some saltine crackers. None without the other and all three together. I don't know why, but this works and makes you feel better almost immediately. And a little vitamin C wouldn't hurt. 1000 mg for adults twice a day.

We've had a different virus going around here. Sinus pressure, dizziness/off balance, tremendous amount of sneezing and blowing noses, no energy at all and at the very end diarrhea. I thought it was hay fever, but it's different. First my son had it, then I and then my husband. The other kid didn't get it.

Hope you all are feeling better soon! PS: you can take all the vitamin C you want because your body only uses what it needs and disposes the rest.