PDA

View Full Version : Singing Canary

marianne Grant
03-20-2006, 06:13 PM
I have a pet canary that is about 6 months old. After I bought it from the pet shop, it was singing very nicely. One hot day he looked to be stressed. However, he is fine. But, since then he has not sung. I have tried chilli but he wont eat it. Can you help my bird sing again?

Marianne Grant - grantsfamily@optusnet.com.au

Janie
03-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Hi Marianne and welcome. I have zero canary experience and have no idea what would or would not make one sing. I'm not sure if any other members here have canaries but maybe they do and can give you an answer. Have you tried a canary search on the internet? Maybe a website with canary info. would be helpful in answering your question. They are beautiful little birds! :)

Angelwing
03-20-2006, 07:22 PM
A canary can cease singing for many reasons. Is he molting right now? That could be a reason. If you've changed his surroundings or diet, that could also be the cause of his loss of voice. Also, if he's sick, he most likely won't sing, at all. You need to give us a few more details in order for us to be able to help you out more adequately. :)

Finnysmommie
03-20-2006, 07:38 PM
What birds eat chili? Am I missing something here?

butterfly1061
03-20-2006, 07:39 PM
My Dad has an American Singer and we had the same problem - sort of. He bought another canary and caged both together for a while. After he did this, the American Singer wouldn't sing anymore. Then we tried separating them several times and I even bought my Dad one of these canary singing cd's.

http://www.birdieboutique.com/pet3153.html

Well, this past winter he started singing again. When we play the cd, he joins in and sounds beautiful again! My Dad is really happy. :2cents: