PDA

View Full Version : Next step?

Emery
03-23-2006, 07:26 PM
The last day or two I've been sticking a twig in Amaretto's cage, to teach her to step-up. She's done really well, but tonight she's gotten a it more nippy with the twig. She'll stand on it, but she'll bite it. Or she'll put one foot on it and bite it. What does this mean? Am I going to fast?

I started saying "no bite!", but it doesn't work and seems to make her bite harder. I put my finger in a couple of times and she's biten really hard, whereas before she wasn't biting my finger. Then whereever I moved my finger she'd "chase" it trying to bite it.

Also, when I say "no bite", do I say it in a low voice? Because I don't want to scare her. Do I ignore her when she bites the twig or my finger? I tried ignoring it at first, but she's bite a bit harder and it hurts to ignore it.

kimsbirds
03-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Amaretto is doing what birds do best! They use their beaks as hands, to feel, grip, figure out, investigate etc and there is nothing we can ever do to make them stop. As you will soon see, different bites mean different things. Again, feel, grip etc, as well as fear, aggressiveness, anger and uncertainty. Even my tamest lovies use their beaks to grab or 'test' my finger before they step up. They need to know it's a safe spot, and they need leverage to pull themselves up. At this early stage, I would simply say that Amaretto is merely investigating stuff. Don't fret it !
K

Elle
03-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Hello Emery,

If Amaretto doesn't feel like training every now and then I would recommend not to force him and end the session short. The time you spend training with him HAS to be fun. If Amaretto is not in the mood, then that's okay. Juat like us, sometimes they don't feel like it either. Try to do something else with him instead. :)

It sounds like the biting of the twig is due to not being in the mood to train. For now, I would just stop the training and try again later or the next day. See how it goes. You may have to change your training environment as well.

As far as the bitting goes, I personally use a very low tone when I say no. It's a tone that my lovebird now reconise and pays attention to. Some people ignores when they are being bit but I don't. Nibbles are one thing but real biting is another. And its not accepted in my flock.

Hope that helps a little,

Emery
03-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks, that does help. That's what I wanted to hear. I was worried I was doing something wrong, but that all makes sense.

They use their beaks as hands, to feel, grip, figure out, investigate etc and there is nothing we can ever do to make them stop. As you will soon see, different bites mean different things.
At first when she used her beak to grab the twig I assumed it was to help her get up onto it, but she seemed to go past just pulling herself up. It's just hard for me to tell what the difference is between "testing" or being angry/frustrated. >o

Thanks for the replies. :)

Janie
03-23-2006, 10:34 PM
They use their beaks as hands, to feel, grip, figure out, investigate etc and there is nothing we can ever do to make them stop

Kim, BINGO! You have described Big Boi to a "T"!!!!!! Gosh, I love him, he is so sweet and lovable but he uses that beak for everything and I have the marks to prove it! :D I don't know of a single time that he's bitten me when he's mad. He just bites and I am sure it's his way of using his beak. Gotta appreciate that, I guess! :lol