PDA

View Full Version : Crock Pots

butterfly1061
03-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Does anyone use them with their birds around? My kitchen is in the center of my house and very open so it's not too far from the birdroom. I would love to use mine :D Any comments?

LauraO
03-27-2006, 12:10 PM
I've used my with no ill effects. Ours is ceramic. I would look to see if there's any teflon type stuff near the heating element.

butterfly1061
03-27-2006, 12:34 PM
I believe the two I have are ceramic too. I have very small one for those of us who are single and I have a large one. What about the heat? I've tried to research what temp low & high are, bit none of the manufacters list it.

bellarains
03-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Jackie,

I've used mine too. I don't know of any that have a teflon base, but you never know. I don't think the heat is a problem, my fear is of leaving anything plugged in and on when I leave and a short causing a fire. I used to do it all the time, but my hubby has made me paranoid:rolleyes:

p3rr4n
03-28-2006, 12:33 AM
We use a ceramic one and its fine. Trixie is as happy and healthy as ever :)

BarbieH
03-28-2006, 08:01 AM
Our has a nonstick finish, but since it never goes to a very high heat (low and slow is the way to go ;)), it has not been a concern.

Janie
03-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Barb, that's kind of what I figured. Even with a non stick finish, it's not like putting a skillet on a hot stove burner.

BarbieH
03-28-2006, 10:53 AM
it's not like putting a skillet on a hot stove burner.

Oooh, that can be a risk Janie. Some crockpot makers say it's okay to put their crocks on a burner or flame, and if you have one coated with PTFE, that's something you cannot do. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

shylevon
03-28-2006, 11:25 AM
This isn't about crock pots, since I don't have one... but I just bought a steamer. You know, one of those ones with two levels so you can cook a whole meal at once. It says not to steam chicken that has the bones still in. Does anyone know why?

BarbieH
03-28-2006, 12:15 PM
I don't know for sure, but maybe it affects the cooking time? Things with bones take longer ... or perhaps it won't cook thoroughly.

Mummieeva
03-28-2006, 01:09 PM
Bones hold in heat and the meat near the bone would be overcooked most times. I have a Crock pot/deepfryer that I got as a gift long ago. It has a ceramic insert into the fryer pot.I loved using it but now only use it birds are on far end of house and it is never on high(i do not use the fryer part).

Steph

Janie
03-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Oooh, that can be a risk Janie. Some crockpot makers say it's okay to put their crocks on a burner or flame, and if you have one coated with PTFE, that's something you cannot do. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Barb, I don't have a crock pot but what I meant was that I'd think a slow cooker (crock pot), even with non-stick "insides" would be much safer than say, using a non-stick frying pan on a stove burner. I would think that the only danger of a crock pot is if your bird is flying around the kitchen while you're cooking and lands on the crock pot or falls in when the lid is off, God forbid.

butterfly1061
03-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Ouch!

Birdies get caged when or if I cook and I can't eat around them or I'll have to share EVRYTHING!! I don't share ice cream with ANYONE :D

b.a.
03-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Ouch!

Birdies get caged when or if I cook and I can't eat around them or I'll have to share EVRYTHING!! I don't share ice cream with ANYONE :D

I'm just realizing that. You really do have to share EVERYTHING w/ these guys, don't you? It really helped out when I was introducing veggies to Milly, but now he wants everything and anything I'm eating, even when we both know he won't like it.

shylevon
03-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Oh, OK, no bones in the chicken then. Thanks.