PDA

View Full Version : peach face colors

b.a.
03-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Hello! I was just wondering about the coloring on my peach face, Milly. He's almost 3 mos. old and in the month and a half that I've had him I've noticed his peach face is getting kinda gray-ish. I think I remember reading that this happens before he gets his bright adult feathers in...? But I can't remember where I read that. I see photos of all your bright & beautiful colored birds, especially the other peach face ones, and I was wondering when Milly will turn bright too. Thanks.

butterfly1061
03-29-2006, 08:44 AM
Milly will probably start molting between 4 - 6 months of age and by 6 - 7 monthsyou will see his adult colors. My Molly, a Lutino, molted around this age and I could swear that he got even redder at his 1 yr molt. My Daisy got her adult colors around 6 months and so did Piper. Piper changes all the time cause he's a pied and never can tell what's really permanant for him - weird. Pictures you take now will be good to compare to him later. :D

Emery
03-29-2006, 03:29 PM
I don't mean to interupt the topic, but I have a questio relating... What about green birds with a light grey/white face (my Amaretto). Will she have a peach face when she molts, even though I see no peach-coloured feathers at all?

kimsbirds
03-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Hi Emery
Your bird sounds like a dutch blue peachface, and if that's right, your bird will molt to a melon colored brow over the eyes, but the chest will remain creamy white. Pics always help! :)
K

Jezz
03-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Emery, Amaretto is a blue series mutation. Therefore, he will have a white face.

butterfly1061
03-29-2006, 09:50 PM
b.a, and emery, you both have blue series mutations. Theefore, your birds will have white faces. Not red.

See that why Jeremy's here :D To correct me about genetics I know nothing about. Thanks Jeremy ;)

Jezz
03-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Woops, just had a look at the pics Betty Anne, and Milly is a Green:blush:
Milly will get a nice vibrant red face

b.a.
04-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the info. Do you know if it's common for them to turn kinda gray-ish before they get their brighter feathers in? Before each molt???

butterfly1061
04-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Hmmm...

I'll have to leave that to someone who understands genetics more than I do. >o

mjm8321
04-03-2006, 02:00 PM
I guess I've noticed they seem a little duller during a molt. I know my young blue series birds tend to look more grey prior to their first molt.