PDA

View Full Version : trips to the birdstore

travis
03-30-2006, 07:28 PM
Trips to the local birdstores always seem to have some sort of interesting events for me. Yesterday I stopped by one of the three larger ones in San Diego, Bird Crazy, to see if I could find a small travel cage for Archimedes since I'm moving tomorrow. A large family walked in and went straight for all the larger macaws and cockatoos. It seemed like the employees in the shop were having some sort of day, sans the girl at the front counter, and weren't really ethusiastic about being there (which was odd because the last time I was there my girlfriend and I had a private tutorial about all different kinds of birds and their basic handling, but we all have our days sometimes). Anyway, the dad is so impressed that one of the blue and golds came over to him, he decides to put his terrified daughter right out in front of it and have the bird climb to her arm :mad: . The scared girl looked near tears, so I went over and took the bird from her, and showed her how to properly have a big boy like that perch on her arm, and how basic body language can tell you if it's okay to scratch or if you should simply visually admire the birdies. The blue and gold was an absolute sweetheart; I've played with him there before and he's always fun, but the girl was still scared to death of them. Loud squaks will do that. Apart from that, I asked one of the clerks why they didn't carry lovebirds, and was told that they are known to carry some sort of disease and show no symptoms, but can easily pass it on to other birds. Never heard of that, and all the other bird shops in the area have their lovies out with the other birds, so I never questioned it.

After that trip, I managed to stop by Birdland, the store where I purchased Archimedes. In my pre-purchase research, I always read that lovies were suppose to be seperate from other birds, but when I bought Archimedes, he was in a general tame cage with cockatiels and budgies, and although shy, was getting along fine. Granted him being little and alone may have had a lot to do with it, but I found it interesting, and completely forgot to ask about it. They were closing up when I got there, so I found what I was looking for quick and went to check out, where the manager was holding this gorgeous toucanette, emerald coloring. I mentioned something about him being gorgeous, and she said she was worried because his bill was cold. She then saw my shirt ( I was in my uniform from the San Diego Zoo, where I work, but not with birdies :( ) and quickly thrusted the bird in my face while simaltaneously asking me what it might be. He hopped to my arm before I could say anything, and gave me one of those priceless looks that made me want to take him home, ignoring his $1200 price tag. I had to tell her the unfortunate truth that I simple manage one of the gift shops, and have no experience with softbills.

I went back today to get some seed I forgot to buy, and turns out he is okay thank heavens, but again I wasn't let down, when I watched Rascal, the blue and gold greeter, try to steal mcdonald's fries from one of the clerks, and then engage in a shouting match because of it :eek: with the clerk. I didn't want to be the one questioning if you should yell at a bird like you would a dog, who responds to that kind of verbal enforcement, but moments later she and the bird were playing and necking, so I just assume that have some sort of love/hate relationship, or that's how it works for them :roll:

All in all, I always love bird shops over the chains any day. I better get back to Archimedes...I decided to write this while he is in time out for biting again :evil:

Mandolin
03-30-2006, 08:36 PM
I really wish we had a bird shop like the ones you described around here. We only have 3 petstores and 2 of them are chains, not exactly the most knowledgeable sales people :roll:. And the one mom and pop store is pretty hoidy toidy and gets snarky if you ask any questions. Maybe this summer in my travels I will come across one that is even close to the ones you describe, although nice friendly sales people and interacting birds makes me want to buy, so i don't know if that would really be the best idea :lol.

Z28Taxman
03-30-2006, 08:45 PM
A blue and gold greeter. Cool! The bird store where I buy Ditto's stuff has one of those too. He/she (I can't remember which) is 20 years old and quite friendly. When I went in a couple weeks ago he shouted hello to me from across the room and was waving his left foot at me. He was hanging out in his tree with 2 fledgling sun conures.

Z28Taxman
03-30-2006, 08:50 PM
I really wish we had a bird shop like the ones you described around here. We only have 3 petstores and 2 of them are chains, not exactly the most knowledgeable sales people :roll:. And the one mom and pop store is pretty hoidy toidy and gets snarky if you ask any questions. Maybe this summer in my travels I will come across one that is even close to the ones you describe, although nice friendly sales people and interacting birds makes me want to buy, so i don't know if that would really be the best idea :lol.

Too bad you don't live around here. You'd like the one I go to (Feather and Fin). The only birds that are in cages there are the budgies and finches. The others all have play areas made of branches with ropes and toys hanging from them and all the employess know how to handle the birds. :cool: In fact the Blue and Gold Macaw is the owners personal pet. I think all the employees there own birds. One owns a blue fronted amazon and the one guy has blue indian ringnecks and even brings them to the store from time to time.

travis
03-30-2006, 10:44 PM
The bird shops we have in San Diego are pretty amazing, and from what I understand there are 2 or 3 I have yet to visit since they're up in 'North County,' but the stores I frequent always have a rotating selection of macaws and cockatoos, as well as some of the more rare hookbills, softbills, and waxbills. I should have offered some links!
www.birdlandsandiego.com - where I bought Archimedes. It's actually two stores: one for the birdies and smaller things, then one whole botique devoted to cages and large playstands. They usually always have a few tame peach faced lovies.
www.birdcrazy.com - By far the largest selection, what they show on the site is hardly what's in the store, and I have had some nice experiences here. But no lovies :(
www.ourfeatheredfriends.com - Great cage selection, and I would say a more unique bird selection, with some of the more rare parakeets and a good number of lovies, although none were tame :(

With such a great selection though, I'm amazed I can't find any masked or fisher's lovies in these places, just peach faced. Almost makes me wish I had the space for an aviary or even room to breed :)

Angelwing
03-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Another reason for me to go to cali :cool:

It's a shame there is nothing like that where I am. But it may be a good thing, as I'd probably spend too much time and money in a place such as that. :(

Janie
03-31-2006, 08:44 AM
Travis, WOW! You do have several good ones to visit! Thanks for the links....I enjoyed looking through them. :)

LauraO
03-31-2006, 12:58 PM
Travis: I was in San Diego not too long ago and went to two of the three stores you listed. Ironically, I did not have a good experience at Birdland. I'm glad you got a good lovie from them. When I went they seemed to have too many birds and the workers didn't seem all that caring towards the birds but more antagonistic. The manager was also looking to order MORE birds:confused: . I also got bit by a baby brown headed parrot because it was so scared. This bird has obviously not been worked with and scared bitey birds have less chance of finding good homes. When I asked about the cage full of parrotlets they had, the lady told me they were tame and told me to just stick my hand in there and grab one. I opened the cage and they were scared so I didn't get one out. I thought this was bad as who knows where my hands had been.

Our Feathered Friends I did like and was very impressed with. It was much cleaner and their nursery was visible. I was also happy to see the cages full of fresh foods and the workers actively working with the birds :D . They were more expensive but I'd rather pay more and feel better when I leave.

I never got to the other store as I was visited my mom who lives in Imperial Beach so, as you know, the travel to these stores was pretty far.

travis
04-01-2006, 10:48 PM
My hometown is actually Imperial Beach :) I'm still young, 22, but I was there for the first 20 years of my life.

I wonder who was working when you went to Birdland... One of the first times I went it was a little overcrowded in the cages, but it was tolerable for me, and my second visit there was a lot less crowding and a lot cleaner conditions, so I thought maybe the first visit was bad. My girlfriend actually buys from them, she's huge into parakeets, and has nothing but positive experiences, which is why I decided to go with them. But I understand your experience because my first visit was similar. Next time you visit, make sure to check out Bird Crazy..it's about 25 minutes from IB :)

Travis: I was in San Diego not too long ago and went to two of the three stores you listed. Ironically, I did not have a good experience at Birdland. I'm glad you got a good lovie from them. When I went they seemed to have too many birds and the workers didn't seem all that caring towards the birds but more antagonistic. The manager was also looking to order MORE birds:confused: . I also got bit by a baby brown headed parrot because it was so scared. This bird has obviously not been worked with and scared bitey birds have less chance of finding good homes. When I asked about the cage full of parrotlets they had, the lady told me they were tame and told me to just stick my hand in there and grab one. I opened the cage and they were scared so I didn't get one out. I thought this was bad as who knows where my hands had been.

Our Feathered Friends I did like and was very impressed with. It was much cleaner and their nursery was visible. I was also happy to see the cages full of fresh foods and the workers actively working with the birds :D . They were more expensive but I'd rather pay more and feel better when I leave.

I never got to the other store as I was visited my mom who lives in Imperial Beach so, as you know, the travel to these stores was pretty far.