PDA

View Full Version : Gardens

Angelwing
04-03-2006, 09:31 PM
I'd imagine that a few of you have bird friendly gardens, no? I can't make many decisions on what my mother would like, but we've decided to at least do something this year. We'd love to get a little pond, and I'm looking into plants that attract more native birds. It should be fun, but I can't wait until I can set up my own.

Anyhow, I'd love to see any pictures you guys have.

BarbieH
04-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Hi Angel;

We did our best to have a wild bird-friendly yard, seeing that it's such a small lot and in the city. :whistle: It's got an apple tree they can build nests in; plants that go to seed, which they love; and a little cement birdbath that we keep filled and clean. (We liked the look of cement better than the plastic ones, and I think they weather better too.) And although the grubs aren't here by our invitation, the Robins really seem to enjoy them. :) This year we also have a birdhouse in the tree, for smaller songbirds.

Specific plants will attract different species to a garden. For instance, flowers with a trumpet shape may attract hummingbirds. Other flowers, like Buttercups, seem to attract butterflies. Sunflower plants do well in cooler climates, and they will attract some larger birds as well as squirrels.

Now I want to go clean my garden up ...

Hope your mom enjoys her garden!

Z28Taxman
04-04-2006, 06:18 PM
I sometimes have millet growing where I dump Ditto's scraps for the outside birds, does that count? :rofl:

Lately I've had a pair of doves that have been chowing down on Ditto's leftovers. They've chased the sparrows off for awhile.

Paulette
04-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Any landscape place should be able to tell you what is good for your area (zone) if you tell them what you are doing.....sounds like a lot of fun.....and a lot of work....but still fun and the rewards of watching the birds and butterflies come in.....wonderful and so enjoyable. Some shrubs have berries in the winter that are etible for the birds too. I love gardening and making sitting areas.

Angelwing
04-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Heh, we have ornamental trees in our front yard that the birds love to eat, especially the Robins. The sunflower seeds from the bird seed mix sometimes fall to the ground and go uneaten, eventually turning into a sunflower. Yep, it will be a lot of work, but hopefully will gradually turn into something quite enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.