PDA

View Full Version : dna testing

chris631
04-05-2006, 10:42 AM
GOOD MORNING ALL, JUST HAD A QUICK QUESTION. I SENT AWAY FOR THE KIT TO DETERMINE THE SEXES OF MY BIRDS, HAD THREE CHOICES: FEATHER, BLOOD OR SWAB??? WHICH ONE IS BEST, AND HOW DO YOU GO ABOUT IT??

Angelwing
04-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Personally, I use feathers for DNA testing. It still hurts somewhat, but I dislike the idea of drawing blood for sampling on my little guys. Which company are you using? They should provide you with details on how they would like the sample. They should also have instructions on their website.

Feather samples - blood feathers are prefered. You have to physically pluck feathers for sampling. Molted feathers cannot be used. Mature, medium sized feathers should be used (I usually pluck feathers in the chest area). The tip of the feather must be intact. Most places would like five or six feathers, but keep in mind quality over quantity. Place the feathers in a ziplock bag.

Blood - if you want to take a blood sample, get the company to send you a special card. Attaining blood from the toe is probably the easiest. It's recommended to wipe the toenail with an alcohol swab, first. Then, clip the nail slightly into the quick (do NOT cut too high, just enough to get a bit of blood; if you don't see any blood, squeeze the toe a little). Touch the card (designated area marked for blood, usually a top corner) to the toenail to attain one or two drops of blood. Then, let the card dry out (twenty-thirty minutes).

There isn't a best way, it's more so which way you prefer attaining the sample.

Janie
04-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Chris, you are on your own! :D Sorry but I am a chicken and would have my vet do it. I did buy my last two after the breeder did the DNA testing. She does the feather plucking method but is thinking of switching to the blood method because she has all of her birds (other than the "visual" sexes) DNA'd and that gets very expensive. She told her husband she would switch to the blood draw if HE would clip the nail. :D I could not do either.....heck, clipping one little wing feather is hard for me. :lol

mjm8321
04-05-2006, 12:53 PM
I can't pluck feathers either. I can clip the nail, but boy do I turn into the most apologetic fool afterwards. My lovies are lining up to be DNA'd, since they get lots of loving and millet when I'm done clipping nails. :rofl:

chris631
04-05-2006, 02:17 PM
thanks guys, **** , I can't, best I have my vet do it (she does house calls) but charges an wing and a claw lol. I thought I might get off easy with the feather thing, didn't know I had to pluck it! I'll let her be the villian....I'm the idiot who scoops up spiders (when you find them in the house, drops them outside,lol

Janie
04-05-2006, 06:02 PM
I thought I might get off easy with the feather thing, didn't know I had to pluck it!

Chris, bless your heart! :D You thought you could pick up one that had fallen out, didn't you? Yep, I did too before these guys here set me straight! :lol Nope, no thanks, I could not take a pair of tweezers and pluck my birds.....I do not think it's cruel or inhumane, but *I* could not do it! I'm a big chicken!

You have a vet that does house calls??????? OMG, I would love to have that option with my older bird!

mjm8321
04-05-2006, 06:37 PM
We are lucky to have a mobile vet here too. She's fantastic and what better way to lessen the stress of seeinf the doctor by doing so in your own home.

Paulette
04-05-2006, 09:42 PM
I called around to some exotic vet clinics to see if they do dna testing locally.....I mean if you can support a local business I think one should as opposed to going out of state etc. One said $40.00 per bird, one said 48.00 and one said 70.00 (this one included well exam, postage and dna test). Roughly the dna alone was between 35.00 and 48.00 (this included postage). One receptionist was shocked when I told her it could be done by mail for 20.00 per bird. So anyway.....just thought I'd throw that in.:omg:

kimsbirds
04-05-2006, 09:45 PM
I take blood...I get less fidgeting and complaining by clipping a nail than I got when I plucked 8-10 feathers from a birdie chest !
Healthgene.com is 20 bucks....good Luck !
K

Mummieeva
04-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Another plus to doing the blood at vets is that if you do not get enough feathers you still have to pay even if they have no idea.:rolleyes:

Steph