PDA

View Full Version : Possible broken leg

Angelwing
04-08-2006, 08:29 PM
One of the budgies at the petstore I work at seems to have a broken leg (if it's not broken, then definitely hurt). It isn't loose, but he's holding it up and hopping on the one good leg only. I've seen him move the hurt leg a tiny bit, but hardly at all. He doesn't seem to be in excruciating pain, but obviously he's in quite a bit. He's still eating and drinking, though, and eliminating on a regular basis. The manager said he'll eventually feed him to some sort of snake...I can't let that happen, so I'll probably be picking him up tomorrow. I have no idea how much it would cost to x-ray (see if the leg is actually broken) then set it, but I'm going to assume that it's quite a bit. Money I don't have. The vet clinic I work at doesn't do birds, but one of the vets may know how/about to do birds to an extent, so I guess the only thing I can do is ask her. Hopefully we can help it. It breaks my heart to see this little guy hurt. Has anyone ever had a bird with a broken leg?

mangotiki
04-08-2006, 08:37 PM
I am guessing that the vet might be able to feel the break without an xray, unless it is very slight. Maybe an anonymous call to the local SPCA might be in order. It is inhumane to leave an injured animal without treatment. Poor little thing.

Angelwing
04-08-2006, 08:46 PM
I know. And I don't want him to be eaten, either. I'd imagine that it would be more difficult to find the break in a small budgie leg, than a larger parrot. Rest assured, I'll do my best to see that he's taken care of.

linda040899
04-08-2006, 09:06 PM
I've had birds with broken legs before and many times an x-ray is not necessary. If the break is obviously severe, then the vet will want to see what's going on. Splints for birds are not very sophisticated. Many are made with just soft bandage underneath and masking tape to hold everything in place. Budgie legs are small so there isn't a lot of room to accomodate a splint.

Paulette
04-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Oh Lisa.....you are so good. Good Luck and I'll say a prayer for the wisdom to fix the leg...by your friend/coworker. It will work out. You wonderful birdie rescuer.....you.:D

LauraO
04-08-2006, 10:23 PM
One of our lovies broke his femur and the vet did not need to take any x-rays to feel the break. Unfortunately, the break was in a place that couldn't be splinted so we had to keep the him (Crusty) in a reptile container for three weeks. He hated it, but it healed really well and the vet bills were minimal.

Good luck with the budgie. I'm glad he won't be snake food:x :x

Angelwing
04-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Really? It healed by itself? I assume he was taking some sort of painkiller and other medication? I have a very small cage I was planning on using. No perches, just food and water dishes on the floor with a towel.

I was shocked when I heard what would be this poor little budgies' fate. I know we wouldn't be able to sell him, and wouldn't spend money on him for a vet...I felt like crying. :(

Thanks, everyone.

mangotiki
04-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Mango's vet also said the treatment would be the same no matter what the xray showed...lots of rest, heat lamp, darkness 16 hours per day, quiet room, small cage, no climbing, food and water easy to get at. so I am thinking you might want to try this as well and see how she does...

Angelwing
04-26-2006, 03:23 PM
The little budgie is doing much, much better. He was on Metacam for a couple days in the beginning along with his splint, and his leg is healing nicely. He can perch fully, and uses the leg as though nothing is wrong with it. He's still in a quiet room with lots of rest and a blanket, but I've moved him to a little bit roomier cage. He was not a happy camper before, and complained whenever I went near him, but he's now tweeting ocassionally, which is a great sign. I'm so glad to see him feeling better.

b.a.
04-27-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm glad to hear the budgie is doing better. He's so lucky you were there.