PDA

View Full Version : Do lovies yawn?

Jargon
04-10-2006, 02:18 AM
Our new peachface lovie does what appears to be a yawn. Every so often, he (or she) opens his beak wide and closes his eyes for a second. Then he goes back to whatever he was doing before (snoozing, eating, climbing like a monkey-bird).

Every time I see him do it, it makes me yawn as well.

Is this normal or something I should be concerned about?

mangotiki
04-10-2006, 03:50 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I am sitting here yawning as I read this...

Yes, mine yawn...

Now I can't stop yawning...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Traci

TGerard
04-10-2006, 06:55 AM
Yep, they sure do. Although, I think they do it sometimes as a way to express contentment. Our Gracie (and subsequently, George, monkey-see-monkey-do!) likes to yawn whenever I give her attention (sweet talk, blowing on her, etc.) Sometimes, a yawn is accompanied by a good wing stretch. Just another part of the complexities known as lovie behaviors. Every bird has his/her own little quirks that make them who they are.

Angelwing
04-10-2006, 07:30 AM
Yep, birds yawn, just like us. The only thing you have to worry about yawning is if they do it excessively. Also, when I rub younger birds behind their ears, they tend to yawn. I think I remember reading somewhere that doing so somehow triggers a yawn out of the baby.

Elle
04-10-2006, 08:40 AM
If your lovebird is tamed and likes head scritches, you can pretty much make it yawn on command. All you need to do is scratch gently on the ears or around the ear. It works with every bird, every time :D

Janie
04-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Let me add to all of the above......yes!!!! :D

butterfly1061
04-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Yep, all mine yawn too. Well, maybe not all. Olivia takes so many naps I don' think I've seen her yawn yet. She drives everyone crazy with her chatter when she naps, but it's really cute :p

LauraO
04-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Lovie yawns are toooo cute:D . My CAG and Meyer's also yawn.

Z28Taxman
04-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Ditto yawns too. It's quite scare when he's standing about 3 inches from your eye when he does it. It looks like he's gonna eat my eyeball. :eek:

He does yawn when he's fighting to stay awake. He'll be sitting on his boing grinding his beak and yawn and go back to grinding. grind, grind, YAWN, stretch, Grind.

Illumen
04-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Wanted to add, all of my birdies yawn also. It's one of the cutest things they do.

Mena