PDA

View Full Version : Oh no...

Kumashe
04-11-2006, 11:42 PM

mangotiki
04-11-2006, 11:53 PM
do you have a neighbor that can come in to change his water and top up his food? I don't like to leave my pets either, but I have left them for two days before. I just put in a couple fo dishes of water and a couple of food, some extra millet, etc. I understand though...it makes me nervous too to leave my birds.

shylevon
04-11-2006, 11:55 PM
I certainly do understand your dilemma. I would never leave my birds alone for a weekend. Anything could happen and even if you leave food out, the birds could easily spill it and then they would have none.

Is there anyone you trust who could check in on the birdies once a day and change water and give fresh food? That is usually the best answer, assuming you cannot stay home with them.

linda040899
04-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Have you asked your parents about taking your lovebird with you? They are very easy to transport. I use an airline approved carrier and I have a small cage that I take so that the lovebird will have a place other than the carrier. All of mine have been good travelers and have always been welcome whenever I take them with me. Of course, a lot would also depend on where you are going and where you will be staying.

Just my :2cents:

DixieKitten
04-12-2006, 12:43 AM
I babysat my lovie (when it was my friend's) for a couple of days in a medium sized doggy carrier. He wasn't thrilled, but he had a couple of perches and toys and his food and water. Is there anyone you trust to watch him for you? Or could you take him with you in a setup like that, like Linda suggested? At least you could keep an eye on him and change his food and water out, keep his cage clean. I hope you figure something out that will leave you at ease!

mangotiki
04-12-2006, 03:11 AM
I have also travelled with one of my birds...The cage was alot smaller but at least he wasn't alone at home. I wasn't staying in a hotel, though, so that wasn't a concern.

Janie
04-12-2006, 08:27 AM
My lovie, Oliver, was left at home alone for days at a time....before I adopted him. I would not do it, not even for one night. If you can't take him, finding someone to come in, just twice a day, would be the best plan. :)

butterfly1061
04-12-2006, 09:19 AM
I agree with Janie's suggestion. A next door neighbor would be a good choice to change lovie's water and check on seed. Ask your dad and see if he would agree. Good Luck! :)

Angelwing
04-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Yes, asking a neighbour, or if you have a relative or close friend nearby to stop in and change water/food/paper is a good idea. I would never leave my birds alone for an entire weekend, either. I hope you're able to find someone.

Cooper
04-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Are there any bird vets in your area? My vet will board birds (lovebird at $20 per night). Worth the peace of mind if you don't have anyone else that can do it.

Kumashe
04-19-2006, 03:22 PM