PDA

View Full Version : The adventures of a yellow little birdie (very very long)

Elle
04-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Danny and I were finishing a really nice 4 day weekend. Danny thought I was bored this afternoon and dragged me to a mall I never went to. As we walked in, we saw a pet store. I thought great! Let’s have a look at the bird toys they have and look at the birds for a few minutes.

As I was looking at the toys, Danny called me. He asked me if I thought that pretty little yellow bird looked injured to me. I took one look, then a second look and I agreed. It had a beak injury. Never mind the cut under the nostril and the scratches on the yellow bird’s legs! The beak looked broken to me.

I took a look inside the cage and noticed two other birds cuddled on the top perch of the cage. My first thought was: "Who in their right mind puts 3 lovebirds in the same cage. Are they idiots or what?" Danny and I discussed the living arrangements of these poor birds and went to see one of the employees who had no answer to our questions and concerns. He went to get the manager for us.

We spoke to the manager and explained you cannot put three birds in one cage. One will get hurt like that poor little yellow birdie. The manager advised us there were four birds in the cage until Monday or sometime Sunday. The yellow bird's mate (or companion) was killed by one of the aggressive birds. We then explained again that they CANNOT leave that bird in there like that. It needs antibiotics and it should be checked by a vet. The manager told us that he would pull the bird out today. We waited, and waited. When he realized that we weren't going anywhere and one of the other two lovebirds started attacking this pretty yellow little bird, the manager went get another cage.

When he opened the cage to take it out, it flew right at him. She wanted out. The little yellow bird probably knew she would not last the week in there. Once she was out, I asked to see her. I had a closer look at her beak and it was definitely broken on the lower mandible, on her right side with cuts and scratches everywhere.

As the manager was getting her set up in her cage, he asked Danny and I if we had time to look after it. We said yes, we have time but not the money. We know that this bird needs to get to a vet, get some antibiotics and check up after that. That's a given and a big expense. Then Danny dragged me out of there. The firefighter in him kicked in. He was on a mission to save a life. We talked, and talked, and talked some more about what it would mean to take this poor little bird home. We discussed the impact it would have on our household and mostly on Blu. We reasoned it out and we both agreed we CANNOT save all the little birdies that we find that are injured or in need of a good home. BUT, we should know which ones we can save. And Miss little yellow birdie is one of them. We knew the pet store would write off that bird as a loss. Business is business, right?

So we went back to the pet store. By that time the yellow bird was in the manager's office. We went to him and asked him how much he would want for it (we were ready to pay $50 for it; Original price was $90). He looked at us and told us: "Look, it's not that I don't care about the birds. I care a lot and so do my staff. Unfortunately, my job doesn't give me the time to treat that bird. Since you have the time and the willingness to look after it, I am giving it to you." Fair enough. He did the right thing.

From there, we rushed home and made a call to Danny's parents. We were supposed to be on our way there for supper. We advised them we would be late. We then made a call to the vet's office. They could see us in an hour. What about supper, though? So we packed little yellow birdie. She was in her temporary cage. We wrapped her up, took her to the car, went over to Danny's parents, had supper and rushed out the door. I am thankful that my parents in law are very understanding and caring people. From their place, we rushed to the vet. We ended being late but it was not a big deal since they had a lot of bird emergencies going on at the time. Apparently, with mating season on its way, they have an increase of injured birds coming in. Most are being attacked by other birds, including their mates.

When we finally saw the vet, she had a look at the beak. She said the break was nasty, beak breaks are never nice. But that little bird is very lucky. The break occurred in a good location where chances are it will heal very well. The location should prevent scissor beak and other deformations. No injuries to the tongue so we are doing well. Nasty scratches everywhere and a little bit of infection. With proper antibiotics this should heal very well.

Little yellow birdie weighs 52 grams. She is alert, vibrant eyes, nice feathering. She is injured. Not sick. She should have a full recovery. In the mean time, we have 14 days of Baytril twice a day and Metacam, a pain killer, once a day. Little yellow birdie was eating millet that was in the cage, poop looked okay and she was drinking water at the store. So she's not doing badly at all.

So right now, she is in our bedroom getting some rest. She is stressed and I think I can understand why. There has been a lot of action in her life today, and the last 72 hours.

As far as the pet store goes, Danny and I were ready to call the SPCA. But the manager did do the right thing at the end. Word of mouth will be our most powerful tool right now. It happens that the store owner (not manager) goes to church with my parents in law. They are sure to hear about the way this little yellow birdie was treated.

In the mean time, I would like to introduce our newest addition, Phoebe.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107433422

Angelwing
04-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Poor little sweetheart. I'm so happy that you were able to save her. I know I can't walk out of a petstore when there's a hurt bird (which recently ended up being the one I work at...). Good on you for saving this lovies life! She's in good hands now.

mjm8321
04-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Oh, Phoebe has no idea how lucky her little Creamino butt is that you and your husband walked into her life. She will come to know love and caring quite quickly I imagine and it's very heartwarming to read this thread. Thank you and your husband for rescuing her.
Course, I wonder how Blu will feel about Miss Phoebe? :)

Elle
04-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Oh, Phoebe has no idea how lucky her little Creamino butt is that you and your husband walked into her life. She will come to know love and caring quite quickly I imagine and it's very heartwarming to read this thread. Thank you and your husband for rescuing her.
Course, I wonder how Blu will feel about Miss Phoebe? :)

Blu broke quarantine 3 times already and her wings spread out and her tail went up. She is absolutely excited.

Yes, we are working on quarantine even though it has been broken already. It will be a long month!

mjm8321
04-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Blu broke quarantine 3 times already and her wings spread out and her tail went up. She is absolutely excited :rofl:

Sounds like Blu is excited indeed. Is Phoebe really a she?

Elle
04-12-2006, 06:02 PM
:rofl:

Sounds like Blu is excited indeed. Is Phoebe really a she?

No idea yet. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough :lol

We're off to buy a new big cage. Gosh that bird was NOT free! (but we knew that when we opened our mouth at the petstore)

mjm8321
04-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Yep, there is no such thing as a "Free bird". Have fun buying all the new stuff.

butterfly1061
04-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Elle,

You and your husband have a heart of gold. S/He looks exactly like my Daisy, except for the injury ;) . Rescuing a bird in desperate need of love & care makes you feel soooo good, doesn't it?

When I introduced Olivia to my flock, she immediately went tail up to everybirdie and then Daisy decided she was her "baby" to take care of in the end. Now my two girls are pretty bonded, but I do have to separate them a bit during this hormonal season. Sounds like Blu was really excited to have another birdie around. Keep us posted on how s'he's doing. :)

Janie
04-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Elle, :grouphug: to you and your husband and of course, little Phoebe! What a story! You're right, we can't save them all but sometimes we can save one and that is a good start, especially for that one. Good luck to you and that beautiful little birdie! :)

mangotiki
04-12-2006, 09:31 PM
What a nice posting to sit down and read!!! Way to go! Phoebe is a beautiful birdy. Good for you.
Traci

Mummieeva
04-12-2006, 11:26 PM
What a beautiful bird you have. Even with her hurt beak she is a beauty. She was lucky that you guys walked in there. I bet she is counting her birdy stars.

Steph

Elle
04-13-2006, 05:58 AM
Thank you everyone. I think miss Phoebe had herself resigned to die this week. She seems befabbled at the changes and her brand new cage that she is sitting in right now, by herself, with no one to attack her She is adapting well, and taking her medications like a good birdie. She doesn't bite at all.

She is very curious of my husband. Following him with her eyes everywhere he goes. She doesn't run off when he stands by the cage and talk to her.

I know where she came from. I know the breeder the pet store bought her from. And I know it would break his heart to know what happened to her. knowing him, chances are she was handfed. The funny thing is I did get me yellow bird from the breeder I was set to buy from! :lol

I'll keep posting updates.

Regards,

Eliza
04-13-2006, 04:51 PM
What a heartwarming story!

Phoebe is just gorgeous. I'm so glad that you and DH stumbled upon her when you did... who knows what would have happened?

-e-

lilycoco
04-13-2006, 05:02 PM
I am so happy for little Phoebe. I hope she recovers fast from her injuries. Quarantine will be over soon and then it will be even more fun for all of you.:D

Paulette
04-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Elle,
What a wonderful birdie tale with a very happy ending. I'm sure Phoebe knew your husband was her saviour the moment he laid eyes on her and she is so thankful. Good job you two! She is a beauty.

Janie
04-13-2006, 06:06 PM
Elle, since you know the breeder, you might want to call him and tell him about this bird. Maybe he could make an impression on the pet store (about caging odd numbers together) before he sells anymore birds to them.

Glad to hear she's doing well. I'm sure she thinks she's in heaven....and is! :)

Elle
04-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Elle, since you know the breeder, you might want to call him and tell him about this bird. Maybe he could make an impression on the pet store (about caging odd numbers together) before he sells anymore birds to them.

Glad to hear she's doing well. I'm sure she thinks she's in heaven....and is! :)

The breeder is closing shop. He will no longer be selling or supplying birds to anyone. Otherwise, I would not hesitate to call him and explain what happened. Iknow he is already sad that he has to get out of the breeding business. I don't want to break his heart.

Janie
04-13-2006, 06:51 PM
That being the case, I don't blame you a bit! At least one of his birds got a very good home with you! :)

Elle
04-13-2006, 07:38 PM
I know of 3. All members here too ;)

Lori
04-13-2006, 09:36 PM
What a tear-jerker! Cry for the poor birdie then cry for the happy ending.

LauraO
04-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Elle: Phoebe is one sweet and lucky girl :D :D . I know we can't save them all but sometimes fids in need come into our lives and we're meant to save them:D :D .

Keltoth
04-13-2006, 10:56 PM
I love it when the right bird meets the right human at the right time, especially when the bird is in mortal peril.

Good on you, Elle!

-Eric

Janie
04-14-2006, 09:46 AM
I love it when the right bird meets the right human at the right time, especially when the bird is in mortal peril.

Me, too, Eric! For me, that "right bird" would be Oliver. :)

graushill
04-14-2006, 02:43 PM
I think you did a very kind thing by taking care of this injured birdie. I'm sure she's very grateful and appreciative :). And she's gorgeous, so congrats on your new fid! I'm glad Blu is happy too :D.

Gloria

Bomom
04-16-2006, 11:11 PM
:happy: Elle
I'm so glad you posted a picture.She's so special. I can see Bo in her face :rofl: I can't wait to meet her !!! I'll get her a toy like Bo's current obsession . She's a very lucky yellow little birdie. Bo is playing on her back alot..She can ,Walk grab her toy with one foot , then tuck and roll, with out breaking stride ..:lol

Later
Bomom

Elle
04-17-2006, 06:54 AM
:happy: Elle
I'm so glad you posted a picture.She's so special. I can see Bo in her face :rofl: I can't wait to meet her !!! I'll get her a toy like Bo's current obsession . She's a very lucky yellow little birdie. Bo is playing on her back alot..She can ,Walk grab her toy with one foot , then tuck and roll, with out breaking stride ..:lol

Later
Bomom

Cindy,

If you're talking about the roll of paper, got one! She doesn't know how to play yet, but it will come, I'm sure.
I can see Bo in her too. The thickness of the feathers is amazing! Just like Bo.

See ya later!

sdgilley
04-17-2006, 10:37 AM
Wow Elle, that's some story!
How wonderful for your little yellow birdie to find a good loving home. I agree with Eric! The right bird, right people, right time - a little miracle.