PDA

View Full Version : Non-Lovebird related...But I have sick a birdie.

Illumen
04-15-2006, 09:57 PM
I know many of you have birds other than lovebirds, so hopefully someone can help me. Thank you in advance.

I went to the bird fair on Sunday and brought home a new parrotlet Yoshi. He was ok when I brought him home but come Friday, he was lathargic and wasn't eating at all. Luckily my vet was able to squeeze us in and found out Yoshi has a bacteria infection from his gram stein. The vet didn't say how he could have gotten the bacteria. The vet did prescribe Baytril for 10 days. I have also been handfeeding him (hopefully I'm doing it right), to help him to get food into his crop. He's only about 6-7 weeks old, and breeder said he was fully weaned. I have also turn up the temp in the apt to 80 degrees and put a heating pad on top of his cagel, vet said to keep him warm. I have been giving him lots of TLC. He has gotten alot better than he was yesterday, but he still has a very light green and mushy poop. Is there anything else I can do to help him get better?

I should also add, the cage he is in belong to a birdie (Skye) that had passed away a month ago. But I disinfected the entire cage, everything that was in it was washed and baked, most of the stuff in the cage is brand new. I have been giving him bottled water and the same food/millet my other birdies are eating.

Has anyone had a birdie that survived an illness? I want to be as positive as possible. We have gotten very attached to Yoshi in a very short amount of time. He is such a sweet little baby.

Mena

bellarains
04-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Hi Mena,

Did the vet say what kind of bacterial infection it is? It's not uncommon for a bird to have a bacterial infection. Many of us here have had birds fully recover.

There are instructions for handfeeding in the resource library that may be helpful. I will put the little one in my prayers, and please let us know how he/she is doing.

Angelwing
04-15-2006, 10:49 PM
My Etna has what we think was a bacterial infection a few weeks ago. She was also on Baytril, but is perfectly fine now (aside from being too skinny for my liking). When she was sick, I kept her in a special container with a blanket lining the bottom (food and water dishes, and millet, of course, was also in with her). I covered most of her enclosure, and shined a light down on it for warmth during the day. She was eating a little, but I also was handfeeding her formula to ensure that she was getting enough food in her. I hope everything turns out ok for you. Please keep us updated.

Illumen
04-15-2006, 11:30 PM
I'm very pleased to hear your birds have recovered. Thank you so much, you have definitely eased my concerns. Yoshi is doing much better than he was yesterday, and eating some, but I hear so often birds take a turn for the worse so quickly. After Skye passed away, I'm extra paranoid about all my current fids.

Vet didn't say what kind of bacteria except it was a rod like bacteria. I'm doing my very best for him, and hope that he will fully recover.

Mena

LauraO
04-15-2006, 11:40 PM
Mena: It sounds as if you are doing all the right stuff. I would just keep an eye on Yoshi to make sure he/she is getting water....I've had several birds survive bacterial infections. The most important thing is getting them to the vet, which you did.

Good luck and keep us updated

butterfly1061
04-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Hi Mena,

When I bought Molly, my first fid froma birdfair, I took him to the vet for his well bird exam. He had an E-Coli bacterial infection. He was 4 wks old & I was handfeeding. The vet also gave me Baytril and Molly was much better very quickly. I did wash my hands quite a bit just in case. Sounds like Yoshi is aready feeling the affects of the Baytril which is good news. Keep us posted. :)

linda040899
04-16-2006, 08:19 AM
Hi Mena,
The survival rate with bacterial infections is usually very good, as long as you have the right antibiotic. Baytril is what's called broad spectrum, as it will kill a lot of bacteria, although not all. My vet will start with Baytril and do another Gram Stain after 10 days. If the gram negative rods are gone, the infection is considered treated. However, if there has not been much of a change, my vet does a culture & sensitivity to find out which bacteria is the problem and what can be used to treat it. C&S will return which and what. Re-test at the end of antibiotic treatment is very important, as antibiotics kill all bacteria (good and bad) and that can leave room for fungus to grow. After antibiotics, I usually use either plain yogurt or lactobacillus/Bene-bac to repopulate the gut.

Glad that Yoshi is doing much better. :)