PDA

View Full Version : Bringing outdoor lovies indoors

Cakepro
04-17-2006, 10:47 AM
I am adopting a small colony of lovebirds, who have always lived in an outdoor aviary here in Houston. I would like to bring the most prolific pair inside (they just successfully raised 6 babies!) in order to be able to observe them.

Are there any reasons not to do this or do lovebirds adapt well to changes of environment?

Thanks!
Sherri

mjm8321
04-17-2006, 12:50 PM
I purchased three birds from a breeder who had them in an outdoor colony situation and all three adjusted to indoor life quite nicely. I'd recommend a large cage as they've been used to having a bit of space outside. You'll just want to make sure it's not too warm or cold for them inside. You'll want to keep the temperature roughly what they were used to for a while and gradually adjust to meet your needs in the home.

Cakepro
04-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Excellent, thank you!

Luckily it's only been mildly warm here the past couple of weeks. The temperature differential between the warmest part of the day and our normal indoor temp would only be about 6 degrees. Evenings and mornings are about the same temp inside as outside, so hopefully acclimating to indoor life won't be stressful.

The only real difference would be in humidity. Outside it's always very high, but inside I keep it dialed to about 40%. Is this going to be an issue for the lovies I want to keep indoors?

Thanks for the advice!
Sherri

linda040899
04-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Sherri,
I agree with MJ completely on this one. Just be aware that once you remove a pair from the colony, you will not be able to return them. Once a colony of lovebirds has been established, it's rare that you can add birds, although you can remove some.

Cakepro
04-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Sherri,
I agree with MJ completely on this one. Just be aware that once you remove a pair from the colony, you will not be able to return them. Once a colony of lovebirds has been established, it's rare that you can add birds, although you can remove some.

Oooohhhh, I did not consider the flipside of this. That's too bad, because I was hoping to add a pair of male Fischers that I have that love each other very much. ;) I was kinda hoping to introduce them to some fine feathered females. Thank you for pointing that out!

Paulette
04-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Sherri,
Observing lovebirds is one of the most fun aspects of having them. I would say that it will make you want more. I don't think you'll have that problem since you got the colony.:D