PDA

View Full Version : Completely has nothing to do with birds...all Georgians help needed

mjm8321
04-17-2006, 06:29 PM
My bother phoned me today to announce that they've just bought a house...in Georgia of all places! :rofl:

I'm kidding of course. He sent pictures of the lovely house, yard and pool (I'm jealous!) . Closing will be in just over a month and they'll be moving from NYC to Lawrenceville, GA. I'm very excited for my bother and sister-in-law but I need to know what's around there so I can get working on a house-warming gift for them. I was thinking about various gift certificates from local shops, restaurants, etc....
Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

butterfly1061
04-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Hey MJ,

That's cool! Lawrenceville is Northeast of where I am and I think Janie is even closer (she tells everyone I live in N. Florida :p ) It's located in Gwinnett County, one of the largest (and still growing) in the Atlanta Metro area. Anyway, We have Kohls, Best Buy, Sears, Linens & Things, etc... Here's a link that shows a lot of shopping within 10 miles of Lawrenceville. Hope this helps.

http://www.shoplocal.com/topix/default.aspx?action=browsestorelist&viewstate=all

Oh, they have BIG malls in Gwinnett too. Mall of Ga (the largest in the state), Discover Mills & Gwinnett Place Mall. :D

If you go to the Chamber's website for the county, click on "About Gwinnett", then click on Welcome to Gwinnett. You can request a newcomers guide.

http://www.gwinnettchamber.org/

Good Luck!

Z28Taxman
04-17-2006, 07:33 PM
I think you need to warn your brother about Janie and Jackie before it's too late! :whistle: :evil:

Paulette
04-17-2006, 08:51 PM
I think you need to warn your brother about Janie and Jackie before it's too late! :whistle: :evil:

:lol But Dave, they know where all the good bird fairs are!

Janie
04-18-2006, 10:42 AM
MJ, one word of warning here.....I am in Gwinnett and it is the "10th REDDEST county" in the USA! Really. My hubby wants to retire to OREGON! Seriously!

I'm in Norcross, about 25 minutes from Lawrenceville. Lawrenceville is the county seat and a lot going on in that area. Heck, there is a lot going on everywhere in this county. I think it was No. 1 in growth (in the US) several years in a row in the last 10. Did I mention that traffic is a nightmare? :D It will be an adjustment from NY but many of the people who move here from NY love the slower pace.

If you want my phone number, PM me and I'll be happy to give it to you so they can call me if I can help in any way. I sure can tell them where to find BIRDS here! :whistle: Do they have birds? We have one bird fair here, in Gwinnett, about 15 minutes from me.

mjm8321
04-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the info gals! Dave, I will warn my brother about those crazy Georgia Bird Ladies!!!! :lol

They do not have birds; yet! :lol When my brother came out for a visit in January, he absolutely fell in love with the two young creamino babies I had, so that might be a housewarming gift for them too and might be a good excuse for me to have to "fly" the birds to them.
They are both used to traffic. I believe my sister-in-law's current commute daily is 2 hours in each direction.
Most of her family live in the Atlanta area and yes, I think the more laid back attitude and different climate will be a big bonus for them. It will be a big change for my brother, but he loves exploring new places, so he should be kept busy for a while.

Thanks again!