PDA

View Full Version : spring! its warm out

chris631
04-18-2006, 05:05 PM
HEY GUYS BEEN BUSY LATELY (MY LOLA AND RICO ARE GREAT) CHANGING COLORS NOW! THEY'RE 4 MOS THIS WEEK. :p GOT A QUICK QUES WELL 2 QUES. iVE BEEN ROLLING THEIR:p :p CAGE( ITS SO **** BIG) LOL OVER TO THE WINDOW AND GIVING THEM HALF SUN IN THE AFTERNOON IS THIS OK? 2ND QUES, CAN I BRING THEM OUTDOORS?IN A CAGE OF COURSE. IT'S GETTING WARMER IN NY , YIPPY, WANTED THEM TO ENJOY TOO. THAX CHRIS OH AND BY THE WAY WHEN I FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST THERE" PIC I WILL, YES ITS 2006 AND I'M STILL COMP DUMB LOL

bellarains
04-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Hi Chris,

Yes, the window is fine, in fact,they need that sunlight to produce vitamin D, in order to proces their calcium correctly, so let them sun away.

You can roll their cage outside, but don't leave them alone. You will need to sit outside with them to ensure that their safety, and right now their health also. You don't want them coming into contact with any outside birds. We have not seen the avian bird flu here that I know of, but I would still be protective.

You also want to make sure that their is no way they can get out of the cage, and that the cage bottom is secure. I use a quick link to lock the food doors when I take mine outside, as that is the only possible escape for them.

Z28Taxman
04-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Ditto loves to go outside. I put him in his old small cage and set it on the screened porch. He suns himself and soaks up the fresh air. I do however make sure not to have him outside too late in the evening when the mosquitos are coming out since west nile is around here as well as any other nasties they might carry.

Lori, I use quick links on the food doors on the old cage too but I still have to watch Ditto like a hawk. The little bugger knows how to open them. :eek:

Janie
04-18-2006, 06:26 PM
I'll just add one thing about a cage outside or one next to a window. Be sure they have a shaded area that they can get to inside the cage, to be out of the sun if they want. I have a window perch and my birds love to sit there in the morning sun.

butterfly1061
04-18-2006, 07:12 PM
I'll just add one thing about a cage outside or one next to a window. Be sure they have a shaded area that they can get to inside the cage, to be out of the sun if they want. I have a window perch and my birds love to sit there in the morning sun.

:lol Janie, you beat me to that suggestion. I will add that I when my birds get direct sun, I put a towel over part of the cage to give them that shaded area. :2cents:

chris631
04-18-2006, 08:37 PM
THANKS GUYS, THIS IS LIKE HAVING MY OWN DR. SPOCK, RIGHT ONLINE FOR MY LITTLE ONES.

Angelwing
04-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Yep, a shaded area of the cage must be provided.

Personally, I don't take any of my birds outside, especially now with this bird flu circulating around. I'm paranoid of mosquitoes (and Winnipeg is notoriously known as mosquito capital), not just because of their bites, but also of the potential diseases they can carry. So I advise you to be careful, and also have a secure cage if you sit them outside. You must also supervise them while they are outside, because even though they are caged, too many things can go wrong.