PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with lovies?

MiNiMet
04-23-2006, 02:28 PM
I have just recently moved to Northern Saskatchewan.. :) beautiful place to live.. lots of lakes & peaceful quiet nights.. Currently my two lovies are safely living with my parents near Halifax, Nova Scotia.. see my dilemma? I couldn't bring them with me in the first move cause I lived in a hotel for 3 weeks before the house was ready & my items arrived. My plan is to go home to Halifax to visit & return with my lovies back to SK via WestJet.. - has anyone ever done this? I've researched WestJet & they do allow birds as carry on in the cabin.. but I'm more concerned about the other passengers in the cabin! We all know how noisy these guys can be when they get going.. imagine that in an airplane cabin ! How can I keep them, calm, quiet & de-stressed? I'm hoping to find a direct non stop flight, if I do it will be about a 5-6 hr flight.. Any advice is appreciated.. as I'm concerned about sending them via Cargo or in the baggage compartment.. I want to be able to have them in my sight at all times.. Plus can anyone suggest an online store where I can purchase a soft sided carrier for them? I read that introducing ginger root to parrots will help with any airsickness they might experience, has anyone heard whether we can do this Lovies? Any advice.. I need all the help I can get..

Melissa.. - missing Ducky & Babe.. LOTS! :(

Elle
04-23-2006, 03:14 PM
I've never travelled by air with my lovebird. When I moved from Alberta to Halifax, we travelled by car ( long trip with a bird and a cat in a car!). It was a 5 day trip and outside of not being able to strech her wing to her content, my lovebird handled the trip very well. I don't think it would be much different on a plane. Except that you are looking at a few hours instead of 4-5 days.

My avian vet in Alberta told me she travelled a lot by air and would take her lovebird with her. Her bird never had a problem and there was never a lot of excitement going on while on the plane. He lovebird behaved well. She used a reptile container, the same kind you would use as a hospital cage, as a travelling carrier. Of course she put water and food in it as well as a perch. I guess an advantage to the reptile container, if they are still allowed on airplanes, is that you can cover it with a blanket if the birds gets excited.

Hope that helps a little,

linda040899
04-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Whenever I've traveled with any birds, they tend to be quiet, as they are not in familiar surroundings. You may find that the other passengers in the cabin won't know they are even there unless you tell them! :) You can add a perch to the container but I would not use food or water dishes/containers, as those can become dangerous projectiles under the right conditions. I always put seed/other food on the bottom of the cage and use either apple slices or orange slices for moisture. A 5-6 hr trip is not that long and you can give them food/water when you arrive at your destination.

MiNiMet
04-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the info.. good to know they can handle the moves :) anyone know where I can purchase a carrier online? :)

linda040899
04-23-2006, 04:15 PM
http://gallery.bcentral.com/ProductDetails.aspx?GID=5128020&PID=4111808

This is the one that I use. It's designed to fit under the seat and it's a very sturdy carrier. I slip a dowel between the air slots on the side and birdies are very comfortable. If my smaller birds leave the house, this is how they travel.

Eliza
04-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Here's a great article on airline travel for birds:

http://www.parrotchronicles.com/winter2001/travel.htm

I hope that helps :)

-e-