PDA

View Full Version : Indy flew over to me today!

Kumashe
04-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Oh my god, it was so cool. Whenever I get home, I leave the cage door open for him while I'm around. Just a few minutes ago, I was sitting on my bed doing homework on the computer when I heard him beating his wings. It sounded louder than usual so I looked up to see him flying over! He landed on the edge of my bed and waddled around a bit. After a minute, he turned around and flew back to his cage.

Ahh, it was so cool! I wanted to take a picture but it happened to fast for me, and I wasn't expecting it at all! I guess he trusts me enough to get so close on his own! :D :D

Yay, Indy!

Janie
04-24-2006, 07:20 PM
:D Progress!!!!! Good to hear your news and I'm sure you'll be sharing more and more of it soon!

Mummieeva
04-24-2006, 08:17 PM
WOW:D I am so happy for you. That is a wonderful step for you both.

Steph

Kumashe
04-25-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm sure you'll be sharing more and more of it soon!

I'm hoping so! :D

b.a.
04-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Glad to hear it! It is the coolest thing when they start trusting you! Congratulations :)

ddargenio
04-26-2006, 10:31 AM
It is the coolest thing!! He's taking baby steps but feeling safe with you:happy:

Angelwing
04-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Great to hear. It's always a good feeling when a bird begins to trust you.

Are his wings clipped?

n8wb
04-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Keep us posted on any new progress!

Kumashe
04-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Great to hear. It's always a good feeling when a bird begins to trust you.

Are his wings clipped?

Yes, his wings are clipped; they've been clipped since I got him a month ago. At first he was a little hesitant about flying around in the cage, but true to what I've read about lovies he is now flying like a pro. When is the next time I should get his wings clipped? Or better yet, how often do you clip your lovie's wings?

Illumen
04-27-2006, 12:25 AM
Glad to hear you are making progress with Indy. It's simply melts your heart when they start to trust you.

I don't clip very often, only when I see them grown out. I do the cutting myself, it's pretty easy. My lovies usually grow theirs when they molt, maybe once every 3-4 months.

Kumashe
04-27-2006, 01:36 AM
Glad to hear you are making progress with Indy. It's simply melts your heart when they start to trust you.

I don't clip very often, only when I see them grown out. I do the cutting myself, it's pretty easy. My lovies usually grow theirs when they molt, maybe once every 3-4 months.

Just out of curiousity, who taught you to cut your lovies wings? How many times did they have to teach you before you could do it yourself? Were your lovies tame enough that they would let you do this? Also, the Petsmart person who clipped Indy left the first primary on each wing unclipped. I was worried that leaving them like that would lead up to the possibility of him breaking them. Should the first primaries be clipped also next time?

sdgilley
04-27-2006, 08:16 AM
hi,
In the Resource Library forum, you'll find under general care instructions for wing trimming.
http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/resource.html
I have three birds, but only trim one. I have her out quite a bit with me because she's tame. One of my boys won't stay grounded no matter how many feathers are trimmed so I don't.
Good luck!

Illumen
04-27-2006, 10:24 AM
I learned how to clip from a diagram off the internet. Although Emma is much more affectionate than my Roxy, he doesn't like to be held so I have to use a towel when I'm clipping him. Roxy doesn't bite me at all, so he lets me hold him even though he doesn't like it. Most times I have someone helping me, but I can get them to stay still long enough that I can do it myself. The wings don't all grow out at the same time, so I use the already cut ones as reference. At first, my lovies weren't that great at flying so I can have the 1st 4 cut and they will be fine, but they have gotten really good at hovering and gliding even w/ 1st 6 clipped. I can't even take them outside anymore, too afraid they might glide into a tree or on the floor where my dogs are.

I think clipping the toe nails is harder than clipping wings. I'm always afraid to clip too deep, so I usually have a little bit of flour next to me when I do that. I usually always have someone help me when I do toe nails.

b.a.
04-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Wow Mena. I'm really impressed. I was wondering if I should take mine in to get their nails clipped. They have one concrete perch but they prefer the wood ones instead, so they don't get naturally filed like I hoped they would. I'll have to read up on how to do that... but I don't think I'd attempt it anytime soon, I'm too scared.