PDA

View Full Version : A lesson for all

butterfly1061
04-26-2006, 07:51 PM
I'm posting this so I won't be the only one who learns from an unfortunate accident. This morning I woke my birds and took them out to the kitchen to play in "their" cabinet while I fixed their dishes as always. They like to play on the counter, cabinet shelves and sometimes the top of the refridgerator. Daisy's the one who loves playing around my vinegar bottles on top of the fridg, but today Olivia joined her. There's a space (about 4 inches) between the cabinet above the fridg and they sometimes go under it to play, but I can see them. I always keep an eye on them and they talk to me & come to the edge of the fridg to check on me while they're up there. Just as I picked up the dishes with Molly & Piper on me and about to get the other two to head to the birdroom, I heard a "thud" and then silence. :eek: OMG! My worst fear just happened. Olivia lost her footing and fell behind the refridgerator. Now this is a 26 cubic ft fridg with no rollers on the bottom. I grabbed Daisy (you should've seen the look on her face - she knew what had happened) & raced back to the birdroom with her, Molly & Piper and put them in their cages. I ran back to the kitchen, but didn't hear Olivia. She didn't even call back to Daisy's calls, which is unusual. I finally saw her from a side view at the end of the small counter next to the fridg and she was hanging onto the plug & cord of the fridg. :eek: My heart was bounding! In all the panic I thought "I need a long perch". I ran back to the birdroom and found a long wooden perch and went back to see if I could reach her so she might be able to get her feet on the perch. Well, she's a smart girl cause when I reached her she got right on the perch and scooted sideways as I brought the perch out from behind the refridgerator. I held her to me and she didn't move or make a sound. I think we were both so scared of what might have happened. I kissed her all over and talked to her and put her in Daisy's cage to calm down. Of course, Daisy went right over to dote over Olivia and everything was back to normal. This weekend the areas around my refridgerator will be covered with wood or something to prevent anybirdy from going past the cabinets in my kitchen. I just wanted to share this with everyone so we could all see that anything can happen even when we are watching. I'm so very thankful that everything turned out for the best. I certainly a glad I didn't have to post this or something else in the "In Loving Memory Of" section of this board. Olivia and I had God watching us this morning :happy:

I wanted you to see the spaces around my fridg so you'll know what I'm talking about in case you have the same type setup.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107492222

A lesson for all of us through me.

Elle
04-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Jackie,

I'm glad all turned out to be okay for everyone and Olivia is a lucky little birdie. As much as we want to believe our homes are birdie proof, they're not. That's why I believe it's wise to know what your birds are up to, and where they are. My Sammy was accident prone. She came close to give me heart attacks many many times. I learned a long time ago that hearing them is not enough. You gotta be able to see them too. If you would have been in another room, you would not have heard the "thug". But lets not go there. We have a happy ending today :)

Regards,

Phoebe
04-26-2006, 08:34 PM
So Glad that there was a happy ending to that story.:happy:

kimsbirds
04-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Oh Olivia, you're gonna give mamma a heart attack !!
I'm so happy to hear this scenario had a positive turnout..it could have been much worse. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Give Olivia a scritch from us....
Kimmie

Janie
04-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Jackie, thank you for posting this! As scary as it is, it's something that we all need to hear and think about. Oliver is LAID BACK beyond belief but the other two, OLIVIA'S BROTHERS (go figure! :D) are in to everything and as Elle said, with a curious lovie, no space is safe space. I am so thankful that Olivia is OK and I know you'll be working on blocking that spot this weekend! :grouphug:

Angelwing
04-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks for sharing this, and I'm happy the outcome was positive. My birds are only allowed out in my room, and I'm still bird-proofing it to the best of my abilities. It's very scary when your baby falls behind something, even if you can reach her easily. I was dreading something terrible had happened from the title. I'm glad that Olivia is all right and that you're taking measures to make the fridge bird safe.

Illumen
04-26-2006, 09:17 PM
I'm really happy everything turned out ok for you. The same thing happened to Emma, he fells in between the wall the frig, and the space was so small he was stuck. I had to put a perch under him and carefully scoot him back up. Both my lovies love playing on top of the fridge, so now I blocked all areas where they can fall into a crevice. I cut holes into old cereal boxes and put them on top of the fridge, and they love it.

Mena

bubble
04-26-2006, 09:33 PM
i am glad that olivia is ok. even reading your post gives me a heart attack ;)

bellarains
04-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Jackie,

I can only imagine the nervous wreck you were. I am so glad that Ms. Olivia is alright. I also had a scare a long time ago, but mine was behind the dresser in my bedroom. There is now a quilt tucked in there so nobirdy can fall behind when I take them in there. Bela actually walked out from behind it, thank God!!! I didn't have a clue how I would go about moving it without the chance of hurting him in the process.

Guess you'll be renovating this weekend:)

bubble
04-26-2006, 10:11 PM
oh, hugs and kisses to olivia and all your fids :rofl:

butterfly1061
04-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Guess you'll be renovating this weekend:)

You bet! I looked for a "door draft dodger" a few months back, but couldn't find one. Since I can sew, I may pull out the old fabric and make one. It would be easy to wash and remove so I can clean the top of the refridgerator. I'm also going to put something in front of the opening on the side where the countertop is located. Probably a piece of wood that I can remove. Lot of work for this weekend, but worth it for the safety of my babies :)

bubble
04-26-2006, 11:00 PM
btw, i checked my kitchen cabinets a few months back and found gaps between them (around 2-6 inches). you have to use a ladder or stand on the countertop and look from the top. i found that out when i dropped a small kitchen appliance from the top of the pantry to one of the gaps (my parents like to put stuff up high), there's no way i can ever retrieve it unless i take the pantry apart. can't image if it is one of my babies :eek:

Mummieeva
04-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Looks like I am cleaning bird room again. After your post I am moving the bookshelf out. I can just imagine sonething similar Happening. I am so glad she is ok.

Steph

mjm8321
04-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Oh Jackie, I know just how you feel and I am so glad Olivia was alright. We have had this happen multiple times when we had flying babies at the place we lived at previously. They liked to land on top of the frigde (of course) and several slid right off the top and down behind the fridge. All came out unscathed, but it was scary.
Good thing you removed all the liquor bottles off the fridge for the picture and replaced them with those bottles of oil. ;) Bet you could have used a nip after the mornings events!

butterfly1061
04-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Good thing you removed all the liquor bottles off the fridge for the picture and replaced them with those bottles of oil. ;) Bet you could have used a nip after the mornings events!

:rofl: :rofl: MJ,

You're right. I could've used a drink. Too bad the only bottle of alcohol I have is Arbor Mist wine (cheap, but good) and it's two yrs old - unopened :rolleyes: Think it's vinegar now? I can add it to my collection ;)

Mummieeva
04-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Arbor is is good for 3 years before it tastes bad.:whistle:

Steph

butterfly1061
04-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Ooooo, I may have some time left :D Thanks! Drink anyone?

mjm8321
04-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks! Drink anyone?

Janie and I will be right over! :rofl:

Mummieeva
04-27-2006, 04:13 PM
I have some Kalua I will be trying to enjoy tonight with my show ER. Is my reward for lasting 2 days in a car with a 3yr old and a 2yr old..and not going mad.

Steph

BarbieH
04-27-2006, 04:33 PM
:lol This thread is rapidly disintegrating. :lol Jackie, I'm very glad the bird is OK. Thanks for sharing your lesson with us all.

Janie
04-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Janie and I will be right over!

MJ! Speak for yourself! I never touch a drop.....before noon! :D

Barb, you're right....a very serious post can go to MUSH in no time flat! :rofl: (MJ, go to your room! Steph, go to yours!)

Z28Taxman
04-27-2006, 05:39 PM
I'll bring the Jack!

Z28Taxman
04-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Barb, you're right....a very serious post can go to MUSH in no time flat

Yeah the mods/admins here are really slacking! :whistle: