PDA

View Full Version : Happy Huts and your thoughts! :)

Oscar
04-29-2006, 10:03 PM
I always wanted a happy hut for my lovies, but didnt due to me forshadowing them fighting over it and possibly becoming agressive and defensive of their new found home. Now that Zoey is gone (:( ) i was thinking of getting one for Oscar . I have heard some Pros and cons about this product, Feet getting stuck, bird becoming aggressive since it is like a nest ( but oscar is a guy so hopefully he wont be all henish!) or even favoring the hut over their beloved owner! haha .but I have also heard alot of Pros, saying its a great place for them to sleep and just cuddle with when alone.. anyways i would love to hear anyone elses thoughts, or experiences with this product .. let me know

thanks so much! Oscar will thank you! :)

Mummieeva
04-29-2006, 10:10 PM
I do not have any happy huts myself. Mainly because I do have a hen who loves to chew. But I know many here have them and remove them in morning and only give them at night. Just be sure and check them daily for cuts and chewing.

Steph

Janie
04-29-2006, 10:28 PM
I have males and two of the three are caged together. They love their happy hut even though one sometimes sleeps on top and the other inside. I think that for a single bird, it's a good thing. Just remove it in the morning and put it back in at night. If Oscar is a hen (I'm thinking he's 5 and has not laid an egg, right?) it might not be a great idea but if he's a male, go for it! Even hens can do fine with them as long as you remove them during the day. Do check it daily to be sure there are no loose thread, etc.

Oscar
04-29-2006, 10:39 PM
Ya hes for sure a male, hes about 8 and well if hes a hen haha .. well he's been holding in alottt of eggs! come join the chat with me and mummm!

bellarains
04-29-2006, 10:42 PM
The way mine snuggle up in their happy huts is the reason I have them. They so look forward to when I put that cozy in at night, and they run to get in it for "Night,night time" As Janie mentioned, check them daily for any loose threads, and if Oscar is not a big chewer, I think it will be a good thing. If he is a chewer, look for one made of a heavy duty material, and no felt lining. A denim type material would be good, and there are many people who make wonderful cozies/happy huts.

Z28Taxman
04-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Ditto has a happy hut. He sleeps in it every night. I don't take it out since he only goes in it at night when it's time for bed. During the day he'll sometimes stand on top of it if I'm on the couch though.

Buy A Paper Doll
04-30-2006, 10:46 AM
My birds really like their cozies. I prevent some of the squabbling by offering a separate cozy for each bird. They get their cozies only at night, and like the others, I check them regularly to make sure that they are clean and not damaged.

butterfly1061
04-30-2006, 02:19 PM
My Piper loves his cozy and it stays in his cage all the time. He sleeps on top of it at night and sometimes he plays inside during the day. Daisy gets a cozy only at night and she alternates sleeping inside or on top. The other two don't get one at all. Olivia, I fear, would get too darn nesty even if she got one at night and Molly has a "blankie he sleeps on. :2cents: Oh, and all four of mine have their own big cage too.

Emery
04-30-2006, 03:28 PM
I don't have a "happy hut", but I do have a coconut hut (a real coconut with a hole in it). My lovie sleeps in it every night and curls up inside of it. It's extremely cute. Plus, she/he likes preening the hairs off it.

linda040899
04-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Hi Suzy,
You may want to try a Happy Hut or a Cozy for Oscar. Our own Shy makes them and they are nicely done. I think there's also instuctions in the Miscellaneous Forum (complete with photos) on how to make your own if you're inclined to do that. Oscar may decide he loves it and that would be a wonderful thing for him, as Zoey is gone.

Oscar
04-30-2006, 04:20 PM
i picked one up today! and well he is scared of it haha ill try to get him to warm up to it.. bit by bit haha silly guy im only trying to help!

Buy A Paper Doll
04-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Hey there,

It's perfectly normal for your lovie to be scared of the new cozy. Someone on this board once explained it like this: Imagine how you would feel if you came home one day to find this STRANGE, GIANT THING hanging from your living room ceiling. You don't know where it came from or how it got there, only that YOU didn't put it there and now it's in YOUR HOUSE!!!

It might help to put the cozy next to the cage for a day or two, then maybe hang it on the side or stick it on the top of the cage for a day or two, or let him examine it outside of the cage during playtime, to help him get used to it gradually.

Janie
04-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Oscar, my older bird was horrified of a cozy/happy hut and never did adjust but he really is older, around 10. My other two hopped right in the first night but then again, they were only about 3 months old and fearless. Jennifer's suggestions on introduction are good and should work. :)

butterfly1061
04-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Suzy,

If Oscar is tame, then when you have him out with you, hold the happy hut and play with it while you talk to him. If you show him it won't hurt him that will help too. Anything my birds have been afraid of I've played with in front of them. They figure if "mommy" can play with it, it's ok :D

Oscar
04-30-2006, 08:01 PM
sounds like great ideas, he loves going down my shirt or up my pant legs, so i thought once he learns to hop into it he will be in love :) i have it on the top of the cage as we speak

thanks so much guys :)

Two2Tango
05-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Both of mine LOVE their happy huts! My mom makes them for me so they always have a new one! I think it is adorable when they get in there together every night when I "put them to bed". I have also found that they absolutely LOVE the cozy ring from Fosters and Smith. I took it out for a while to wash it up and clean all the poop off and they did nothing but non stop scream untill I placed it back in the cage. I am not sure if mine are male, female or both but I have yet to have any nesting issues with either of the products.!:)