PDA

View Full Version : Managing 3 birds, love triangle

sdgilley
05-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Hi,
I posted earlier that I was having a difficult time managing three birds. 2 males that were once very bonded and caged together and a female (who would be loved by Luka) that is caged separately.

Luka (chosen male) and Peepo (the hen) became very nasty to Peter. Luka even stopped sleeping with Peter in his happy hut at night. :(

I started decreasing the time the boys had out when Peepo was in the same room (inside her cage). That helped, but they stopped willingly returning to their cage. I would turn off almost all the lights and they'd still persist in the chaos.

In an effort to calm them back into a friendly flock I stopped letting the boys be out in the room when I bring Peepo in to bed. Slowly, they are responding. Luka has started sleeping with Peter again. Tonight they returned to their cage without a big flapping ordeal!

I'm hoping to keep Peepo from nest mode (wish me luck there!). I'm sure her nestiness has a big effect on the boys. If I'm successful in getting them all calmed down, I will allow them to visit her again - keeping an eye on her for nesty behavoir. I'm inclined to restrict their exposure to her completely if she goes nesty again.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the small successes. Three birds in my house are not a cake-walk, but more like walking on egg shells (punny, aren't I?;) . No matter how much you learn, there is always more!:rofl:

Janie
05-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Suzanne, I DO wish you luck! I can't even begin to imagine what a hen would add to my mix! :D I have three males and so far, harmony. I think a hen might change that. :whistle:

LauraO
05-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Suzanne: I'm glad your seeing some improvement in your lovie dynamics. The best thing to do with these situations is just test the waters til' you find what works for you.:) .

Mummieeva
05-04-2006, 12:04 AM
I am reading and learning from you. Because Baggy is for sure a hen and I strongly think Whisper is also. So If Bandit is male I might have some hormons on my hands..lol. I really hope they settle down for you and be good birdies.

Steph

sdgilley
05-04-2006, 08:09 AM
:) Janie:
I can't even begin to imagine what a hen would add to my mix!
I took a chance bringing Peepo in, and she's definitely the queen. I think that makes Peter & Luka the court jesters somedays. :rofl: I'm hoping that some period of separation will cure both problems, that is Luka and Peepo encouraging each other - nasty & nesty.
Laura, I agree, small changes and watch for results...

Steph, I hope your trio does well for you. As Linda says: There are no bad birds, just misunderstood birds... - did I quote that right? I just have to keep an eye on these guys for small changes in their behavoir. I'll try to think like a bird.

LauraO
05-04-2006, 11:17 AM
As Linda says: There are no bad birds, just misunderstood birds... - did I quote that right?

I used to think this too. That is until we brought Cuddlebunny into the mix. She is one mean and evil Creamino. Once she experienced the taste of blood there was no holding her back :eek: :eek:

sdgilley
05-04-2006, 11:54 AM
She is one mean and evil Creamino.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Who named her Cuddlebunny????
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
She's an avenger, looking to rid the world of completely evil hands and any other appendage that happens in her glorious path to do right!!

See? It's really all in your interpretation! :D

mjm8321
05-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Suzanne, glad things are working out with the fids. It can be quite the challenge. I have two evil hens, well ok, three if you count Sassy, the OF Lutino that is only nice when she's on eggs and they all always want blood. No one else is safe around them either. Their mates are hen pecked and submissive. Nothing like a lovie hen! :lol