PDA

View Full Version : Head Bobbing

Wheeliegirl
05-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Does anyone know what head/body bobbing is all about? Peachie does it constantly. She only does it when she is out of her cage. Maybe it could be a nervous tick? Don't you think that after a year and a half in my home that she'd be more comfortable out of her cage?

I'm trying to teach her to "dance" with this behavior, but having trouble getting her to do it consecutively so it looks like a "dance". :whistle:

Keltoth
05-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Lovebirds "bob" when they are attempting to regurgitate for their chosen mate. If Peachie is only doing it when she comes out of the cage - or, more to the point, after YOU let her out of the cage - she may be trying to show you her affection by bobbing and regurging for you.

Buy A Paper Doll
05-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Yep, my pair do this quite a bit for each other. Peachie is just letting you know that she LOVES you. :)

Wheeliegirl
05-06-2006, 09:33 PM
I've seen that type of head bobbing...this is not that. It's kind of like a little jump. Her feet will sometimes leave the surface. It is also accompanied with a beak clicking. She's done this for as long as I can remember. I really wish I could get a video of it.

Buy A Paper Doll
05-06-2006, 09:46 PM
A little jump? Melody does a little jump but there is no beak clicking with it. She'll kind of do a little jump and then nod her head (kind of like tucking in your chin) and stand tall for a second or two, and it almost looks like she's just had a thought, or she's plotting something. Why she does it, though, I have no idea.

butterfly1061
05-06-2006, 09:57 PM
it almost looks like she's just had a thought, or she's plotting something. Why she does it, though, I have no idea.

Hmmm... Plotting something sounds about right when it comes to my Daisy. I know that look well. Think it's a Creamino thing :whistle: I'll have to watch her more closely with her clicking and see if I notice a "jump".

Buy A Paper Doll
05-07-2006, 07:52 PM
I just thought of another form of head bobbing that my birds do when they're out of their cage. If they're getting ready to fly somewhere they bob their heads up and down repeatedly; I believe it helps them with depth perception? Just a thought...