PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know how to ...

Buy A Paper Doll
05-06-2006, 08:57 PM
... get bird poop off a silk lampshade? :x

The lamp behind the couch has sat ignored for months and months and months. Today, Milo discovered it for the very first time and perched oh-so-proudly on the top rim of the lampshade. Then of course Miss Melly had to go investigate. I took them off; they flew back up there. (So much for clipping wings to prevent flight. :roll: ) I tried to take them off again; they hopped onto the harp (the metal part that holds the lampshade up) and DUCKED. I got them off again; they flew back up a third time. At that point, I noticed the bird poop oozing down the side of the lampshade and gave up. :whistle:

kimsbirds
05-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Honestly? Let it dry and flick it off....I've never had it stain any of my "finer" things.....
Your birds have expensive uh....bathroom quirks :P

Z28Taxman
05-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Silk maks for some smooth toilet paper. :lol

bellarains
05-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Jennifer,

Try a little baking soda and water. The only other thing I can think of is maybe some spray and wash diluted. I would test both of them on an inner side of the shade first though to make sure it won't discolor it.

Buy A Paper Doll
05-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys!

Hubby just came home and told me, "I don't think I want to tell you where Milo and Melody's new favorite perching place is ..." So I guess he let them hang out up there all afternoon while I was out. :whistle: Now that I know that, I guess I should be happy that there is only ONE poop stain to contend with!

Honestly, though, I have to wonder, what was I thinking bringing home a lamp with a silk shade? If it's in the house, it's gonna get bird poop on it. ;)

butterfly1061
05-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Jen,

There's not much that won't stain silk it's a very delicate fabric. Even water has been known to leave a stain. I'd call your local Dry Cleaners and see what they might suggest. You might ask if they could spot clean it for you too. Good luck! :)

Elle
05-06-2006, 09:58 PM
I have a hoover steamer that works great for the lamp shades. Tried it already on mine and it did a great job. Works well to clean windows and doors and many many other things :) oh! and the couch :D

regards,

Janie
05-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Jennifer, since Oliver has become flighted, one of his favorite perches is a silk lamp shade in the family room. I take a knife and "gently" remove he poop and then go over it with a poop off wipe. So far, no permanent stains. :)

BarbieH
05-14-2006, 08:34 AM
You could always drape it with a towel when the birds are out ...