PDA

View Full Version : Air fresheners, etc.

CaptMicha
05-09-2006, 02:50 AM
I know birds are really sensitive to smell but is there any air freshener that's safe to use? Sachets? Carpet fresheners?

Mummieeva
05-09-2006, 05:21 AM
There is no air freshner I know or would trust that you buy at store. I use sevral home things though. One is boil some cinnimon or vanilla in some water on the stove. It smells wonderful and makes house smell like cookies..lol. Just be sure birds are not out when you do it. I use sachets in my bedroom drawers since birds are not in there. I do not use carpet freshners but someone here might know something to do with them.

Steph

butterfly1061
05-09-2006, 09:46 AM
I know of a few good products to use. One is Odor Assassin which Lori (Bellarains) uses and I use one called Citrus Magic. I never use carpet freshners. I spray a small amount of the product I use and I can smell it for a long time. The large "disks" from Cirtus Magis are kinda strong and I only use the around the house (closet, bathroom, etc...) and not in the same room as my birds. I never leave anything in the birdroom.

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/odor_assassin.html?gid=HOUSEHOLD

http://www.citrusmagic.com/

Citrus Magic can be found at some local grocery stores. I don't know about Odor Assassin. I've only been able to located it online.

shylevon
05-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Most 'PURE' essential oils are said to be safe for birds, because they are derived purely from crushed flower blossoms. I would still use them in moderation around birds though.

Some people also boil orange peels to freshen a room, but I have not tried this.

Just bake cinnamon buns every day. That'll have your house smelling lovely, and in a couple months you won't be able to leave the house at all.:lol

Janie
05-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Just bake cinnamon buns every day. That'll have your house smelling lovely, and in a couple months you won't be able to leave the house at all.

I love that idea! :rofl:

goldnyght
05-09-2006, 08:37 PM
um...herb plants. Like lavendar, sweet anne, rosemary....Pretty much whatever scent you enjoy. Just crush a couple of leaves between your fingers every time you pass.

Big plus: your birds can eat them too.

CaptMicha
05-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Mmm.... Cinnamon buns.... *Drools*

I have a walk in closet that I pull my birds' cages into at night so they'll shut up and go to sleep. Any little bit of moonlight will keep them up and yelling.

Do you guys think it'd be safe to put a sachet in there of crushed lavender or another all natural herb? I'm kind of tired of my clothes smelling like birds...

TGerard
05-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Since this thread is dealing with indoor air quality, I thought you guys would find this article of interest:

http://www.livescience.com/technology/060509_air_purifiers.html

Looks like those indoor air purifiers are not such a good idea after all.

I have a walk in closet that I pull my birds' cages into at night so they'll shut up and go to sleep. Any little bit of moonlight will keep them up and yelling.

Do you guys think it'd be safe to put a sachet in there of crushed lavender or another all natural herb? I'm kind of tired of my clothes smelling like birds...

I don't know if this is okay to do or not. Is covering the cages not an option? Also, you might want to try a product that we use: Cedar Mountain Mist by Clear Light the Cedar Company (www.clcedar.com (http://www.clcedar.com)). It is "for your body" & "for your home" and is a simple pump spray that you could apply to your clothes as you are wearing them.

jknezek
05-10-2006, 11:29 AM
this article targets IONIC air purifiers. the problems with ionizers have been well know for a long time. unfortunately sharper image and oreck do a great job with marketing, even if their products are harmful.

however, hepa air cleaners, without ionizers, receive much higher ratings by places like Consumer Reports. I use two hepa filters and a venta airwasher (water based) to clean the dust out of my air when the ac is on (and now that summer has slammed into south florida, my ac is on A LOT).

It's all about personal preference, but issues with ionizers are pretty common knowledge. Anyone with birds should do a lot of research before buying an air purifier.

TGerard
05-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the correction, jknezek. I should have made that distinction originally. However, I am not convinced that it is "common knowledge" hence, I provided the link. There are many topics on this forum that have been mentioned in the past but still bears repeating for safety's sake. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Anyone with birds should do a lot of research before buying an air purifier.

Couldn't agree with you more.

jknezek
05-10-2006, 12:44 PM
yes indeed. the topic has been discussed ad nauseum on some of my other lists. guess i just transfered that over to this list without thinking about it. always good to get the info out there. my apologies.

p3rr4n
05-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Hey whats the cliff notes super short version of the problems with the ionic breeze and other products like that?

shylevon
05-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Hey whats the cliff notes super short version of the problems with all your clothes smelling like birdies?

I love the smell of birdies.

jknezek
05-10-2006, 01:36 PM
the cliff's notes version is that ionizers create ozone. ozone is bad.

ozone is a greehouse gas. it's a component of smog. ozone makes a room smell fresh for some reason, but it's not a good chemical compound to put in your body.

so ionizing air purifiers create ozone, which makes the room smell fresh, but may be causing cancer (worst case. some studies show ozone exposure causes cancer in lab animals but it isn't conclusive), breathing disorders (ozone is linked to asthma), and probably some other bad things I can't remember.

But that's the cliff's notes version.

p3rr4n
05-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Hey Shy, :) We love the smell of our little Trixinator too :-)

Thanks jknezek, makes sense. Seem slike I read somehting about negatively charged particles being bad too (or is that trhe same as ozone?)..

Thanks again :)

jknezek
05-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Now you're taxing my knowledge. I believe the negatively charged particles are what bonds with the 02 in the air, creating 03 which I belive is ozone. But I might be completely pulling that one out of the air. I'd have to go and read the literature again. I remember making my own decision pretty quickly after just a few articles... anything with an ionizer was not coming in my home.

UPDATE: I found this article from the EPA. I was curious if I was giving information every bit as bad as sharper image and oreck. unlike the companies, I am willing to correct my mistakes (of course it doesn't cost me money, just pride):

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

This is pretty comprehensive. Ionizers do charge the particles. Charged particles then stick to walls, floors, etc. The point is, a charged particle of dust should be attracted to an opposite charged piece of floor. This gets the dust out of the air. HOWEVER, the IONIZER does also create Ozone. Which, oddly enough, I did get correct as 03. Ozone is about what I described above, although the EPA article doesn't mention cancer as a risk. Just lung damage and asthma effects.

Basically I was partially right and partially wrong in my cliff's notes version. The EPA article, thankfully, is written in readable english and should be a mandatory read for anyone considering an ionizing air purifier.

sdgilley
05-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Thank you Jeremy!

That is so helpful, thanks.

p3rr4n
05-10-2006, 03:28 PM
I appreciate the input, and regardless of the exactedness, you only reinforce that these products should not be used.

Bravo. I applaud your responses.

Ckychick
05-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Umm... i have a question. My stepdad just bought some air fresheners that he thinks will be ok for my birds..

I have 2 dusky conures, and a parakeet, all in my room. He got these air filter smelly things, they are scented as cinnimon but im not sure if they will be safe, and since it will be flowing into the bird room through the AC i wanted to see if it may be alright for my birds before we put them on. Anyone have any input on this? Thanks a bunch!

Janie
05-22-2006, 01:39 PM
No, I don't think they'll be safe. I'm not saying they will kill your birds but they sure might. I have one older bird that was exposed to all kinds of scented stuff....air fresheners and candles before I adopted him and he managed with it but it is always taking a chance with any marketed air freshener.

Jeremy, OMG! I have TWO Oreck units (small ones) and they do have the ionizer in them! One is in my computer room where Oliver spends a lot of time. I'm not sure why but I haven't used the one in the family room in over a year and the one in the computer room for several months. WOW, I am so glad I read this. I will not use either one of them again and I will speak to Oreck about it. I had no idea......:mad:

jknezek
05-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Good luck with Oreck. You will get very little satisfaction from them. As far as Oreck and Sharper Image are concerned, there is nothing wrong with the products. You are better off doing independent research. If you want an air purifier, I highly recommend a hepa filter or, if you have some money to burn, a venta airwasher. I use both in my house and neither outputs anything but air.

BarbieH
05-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Are those whole-house products Jeremy? Are they attached at the ductwork plenum near your furnace?

I prefer having a whole-house filter to a room model, because that way my entire house benefits. There is some upkeep, like filter changing, but so it is with all these products. You also pay more because it's an installed product, but again, if I bought a room air cleaner for each room in my house, that would add up too -- and the electric use would be much higher. :2cents:

jknezek
05-23-2006, 10:18 AM
No. The filters I use are, unfortunately, area cleaners. I rent, so having a whole house filter is impractical. However, the same rules apply. Look for a good HEPA filter for your whole house product. I also use a HEPA filter for my ac unit (also the furnace but I live in FL, so the furnace is rarely ever on). The HEPA filters for an AC unit can be purchased at Home Depot, but that is only the intake filter.

Sorry I can't help more. My Kenmore HEPA filters each cover 450-500 sq feet. My venta covers another 700 sq feet. So for my purposes, in my 1200 sq foot apartment, I have overkill. But I don't run them constantly either. THey are on digital timers for when I am at work or asleep.

Dove
05-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Hi everyone...

Many years ago I started using natural products outdoors for lawn and garden and indoors for cleaning...deoderizing...disenfecting...my family's health and beauty needs...etc...concern was for our health and safety... protection of the enviornment...

When we became involved in Greyhound Rescue we became even more concerned because of the dogs extreme sensitivity to chemicals...drugs and so many products people use for fleas and ticks...sometimes I must resort to chemical products because I have not found a natural and effective substitute...ex:detergent for my dishwasher...

I have made pure essential oil insect repellents...for us and pets...but had no birds at the time...there are natural safe products comercially available for people...dogs and cats...I had friends who were certified aromatherapists and I had done years of research and study in this field so felt competent making my own...

I have also used "pure theraputic grade essential oils" in my home in a number of ways to disenfect...deoderise and cleanse...for health benefits during times of colds/flu...during stressful times...etc...they are wonderful...but I am still doing research as to their safety with birds...it's been difficult finding reliable info...so until I do...I will not use them with birds...any info anyone has would be appreciated...

Just because something is "natural" doesn't necessarily mean it is safe...all essential oils are so very highly concentrated...these super concentrations never occur naturally in nature...some flower oils need
100'000's of petals to produce just one drop of oil...and the distilling process to obtain oil from...herbs...plants...trees...flowers...roots... etc...also condenses and highly concentrates the oil...

Safety and toxicity issues occur even with plants/oils generally considered safe...because of the high concentrations...and even used diluted and cautiously can be contra-indicated...ex:teatree oil on a dogs spine can and does cause seizures in some dogs (Greyhounds and other sensitive dogs)...peppermint oil can be toxic to everyone in high concentrations...rosemary oil is contra-indicated in individuals with siezure disorders...etc...cinnamon oil can cause uterine contractions and should never be used during pregnancy...

I have read in several places that cedar (presumably the tree/wood) is toxic to birds...not all parts of plants have the same chemistry...some parts can be toxic...while other parts safe...using highly concentrated cedar oil even in a dilute form for deoderizing is something I would never do now...as I have a bird...I just wouldn't risk this...

Animals are so much smaller then we are and their systems so much more sensitive and vulnerable...what they take in rapidly moves through their bodies...even smaller and "safer" concentrations/dilutions can be harmful...we are mammals...birds are not...our systems differ...(even among humans)...animals may show no negative side effects until SUDDENLY they do...scientific research and studies can and often are flawed...for various reasons...(political...financial...misinformation. ..etc)...

It's challenging knowing what to believe...what's safe...controversy is common among experts...even standard practices and conventional wisdom can be wrong/detrimental...just because you read or hear something...doesn't mean it is true...or has validity in your situation..."WHEN IN DOUBT...DON'T" is excellent advice...do your own research...consult many sources...it's time consuming and can be especially difficult in our busy lives...but the alternatives can be devastating...

I have found houseplants very effective in freshening the air...bird safe plants are certainly a concern...as is the soil they are grown in because of molds...spider plants are safe for birds on many lists...they are considered one of the best plants for exchanging and freshening indoor air...and are a common and easily grown plant...there are many others...

Many bird breeders I contacted in my research have mentioned using white vinegar and water as safe and effective...I have used this for years and can personally say it quickly removes odors and doesn't smell like vinegar afterwards..."Citrus Magic" was also mentioned often as a wonderful productby bird breeders...I haven't tried it yet...

Air filters and purifiers are another possibility...I recently reasearched these for allergys and cleaner...healthier indoor air...my concern was that they be animal...(bird...cat...dog) and people safe...as well as effective...easy and not costly to maintain...quiet...and germacidal...etc...no type of system was completely able to meet all these needs...but I would never use an "ozone generator type" of air filter/purifier...I am convinced these are not safe...

The Sharper Image machines are NOT and can NOT be classified as "ozone generator type" air cleaners...they are "ionic technology"...a different system entirely...the minimul concentrations of ozone released as a by-product only of the negative ion technology and the ultraviolet light systems available on some models...is so small that it is not detrimental to health...it is immediately converted to oxygen at the source (the machine...because these types of air cleaners use no fans it is not blown around the room)...

The newer models have an "Ozone Guard" Prem Air Catalyst which immediately converts the minimul ozone released at the source to oxygen...I don't know about older models as I only researched the newer ones...negative ions are beneficial...they are found in high concentrations near the ocean...mountains...waterfalls...large bodies of fresh water...they are natural...safe...and make you feel good...they raise your energy levels...these ions attract the particles in the air to the blades of the machine for easy cleaning...some particles will fall to the ground...dusting...vacuuming...general cleaning is still nexessary...

The Sharper Image machines got very high approval ratings from my Dr/Allergest...the hospitals respriatory therapist and an ENT medical researcher my son knows...they have them in everyroom in their homes and some have been used all over the country under varied conditions for 4-5 years...everyone of them had reasearched the many kinds of machines available and chosen these...

I contacted bird breeders who use these "ionic machines" and the ones who had them are very happy with them...some breeders use another technology...the "hepa filter machines"...and like/dislike these...some of these hepa machines cannot be run if you use a humidifier...necessary during the breeding/hatching season...or to control or prevent excessive molting or feather picking...they are noisy...the filters are costly...and energy costs are high...hepa filters must be replaced often if you have many contaminants in your air...ex:bird dander...they do filter out smaller particles than the ionic technology...

As in most things opinions/experience/info and needs varies...I believe we all want to do what's best for our health...our companion animals and the planet we share...thanks to everyone here sharing info...interesting and informative...no easy "one size fit's all "answers...

Janie
05-23-2006, 03:12 PM
Jeremy, I don't expect them to take the units back and I'm not sure if I ever mentioned to them that I have a lovebird when I bought them but this is a neighborhood store, they tend to keep the same staff and my hope would be that telling them that would make a difference in them knowingly selling the unit to a person who has birds. Probably not but worth a shot.

I was in there a few weeks ago to have my vacuum cleaned and was talking to one of the sales people about those air fresheners that you can add to the unit ( I DON"T use them, ever) and when I mentioned I had birds she said no way she'd use one, even the one that says "safe for pets" and also told me that she lost a parakeet several years ago to teflon. So, maybe they will listen. BTW, the only reason I have two Oreck vacuum's is because of my back. It is the only one that I know of that I can actually lift over my head if I wanted to. 8 or 9 lbs. I think.

Dove
05-23-2006, 04:06 PM
Hello again...

The Kenmore "hepa" vacuum cleaner bags have teflon in them (printed right on the bags)...so I refuse to use them...there is controversy over non-stick and teflon products and birds...some say it's high heat which causes this material to be dangerous...others say even at much lower temps...it is damaging to birds and our health...my vacuum does heat up...it is a machine with a motor...so the teflon in the "hepa bags" does get hot...I just choose not to take any chances that it may be damaging...I do vacuum alot more now that I have birds...but won't use "hepa vacuum filters"...

I wonder if the "hepa filters" for air purification machines have teflon in them...is teflon or non-stick materials part of "hepa or hepa-type" technology...???

jknezek
05-24-2006, 08:15 AM
hepa does not in and of itself use teflon. Hepa is just a form of filter that is used to remove very small particles from the air. The only reason I can think of using teflon in a vacumm bag is to make sure the particles don't stick to the walls and clog the intake. But I have no idea about vacumms as I use a bagless model.

Good luck with your store! I know the companies themselves swear up and down when you talk to them that the products are safe. Unfortunately a lot of the research not done by the companies says it is not. Consumer Reports also says they don't work real well.

But everyone has their own opinion. I would just suggest doing your own research. Ionizers do create ozone according to the EPA. I guess we all need to decide if we think that is a good or bad idea.