PDA

View Full Version : Rescued Lovebird - Taming

Papaya's Mom
05-10-2006, 08:27 PM
I have a lovebird that I rescued from a hawk attack. He/she is a Peachface and is in good health. My problem is that after having him for 4 weeks, I still can't get him calmed down when I try to get him out of the cage. I have tried offering treats from outside the cage, but he still seems pretty freaked out when we go near him.:mad:

I have taken him out several times and tried to hold him with a washcloth around him (otherwise - major bites or lockjaw!) But, I'm wondering if this is still too soon.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!:rofl:

kimsbirds
05-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Congratulations on your new lovie..it's horrible to think what might have happened had that hawk had its' way.....:confused:

After only 4 weeks there won't be much progress in getting this bird to trust you, especially when you handle the bird before it's ready to be handled. Hands are a no-no right now so let's backtrack for a bit.
Your new birdie needs time to adjust and calm down. He has no clue who you are, where he is, or what things are around him. Trust can only be gained by consistency, patience and exposure. Because you have no clue of this birds' history, there is a chance he will never be a social and cuddly lovebird. How long can trust take? As long as it needs to take. Your bird has indicated to you by it's frantic movements that it's not ready to be handled or socialized yet.
I'd begin by scheduling regular maintenance to the cage, all the while you can chirp and whistle, using slow calm motions. Anytime you're near the cage, sit quietly and let the bird get used to your voice. Make sure the cage offers at least 1 corner/wall area so he feels secure. This may very well take months. Unless absolutely necessary, never ever put your hand in the birds' cage or chase him around inside it. This voids any trust whatsoever the bird might've begun to build towards you.
Anytime you make that bird do something against its' will, you only scare him and make trust even more difficult.
When you are ready to begin working on taming ie: step-up etc, small wooden dowels (perches) are more often accepted by lovies than hands at first...also a small closed room with minimal lighting will keep the bird less flighty. There are many people on our board here that have birds who simply dislike hands and that's just something that you need to accept. A loving and trusting relationship can't be rushed, so my suggestion would be to slow down....get to know one another first....:)
I wish you the best ...
Kimmie

PS...Patience, patience patience !!;)

BarbieH
05-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Hi PM; :)

My husband and I started our lovebird adventure with a resuced bird, one Miz Gracie. It also took her a long time to calm down -- seemed like a very long time, but she has come a long way since then. She was also very aggressive and caused some nasty bites.

The thing to remember about rescue birds is that they are in survival mode. Your Papaya feels an instinctive need to make sure everything is safe; she is scared, and she responds by attacking. It will take her a while to work through this. Like Kimmie said, if you provide regular food, water, and cage care, she will learn that you mean her no harm.

If you talk, whistle, and sing to her -- especially when she whistles or calls -- and if you eat near her cage, she will come to think of you as one of the flock. This will also help her feel more secure.

Two more things I would recommend:

1. Take Papaya to an avian vet for an exam and wing clipping. She was outside among wild birds, and you don't know where she lived before that. She needs to be examined, and the wing clipping will help her settle down.

2. Check her cage placement. It should be a square or rectangular cage, so Papaya can go to a corner. You should have one perch high in the cage, so she can feel safer. And the cage itself will be well-placed in a corner or next to a wall, as opposed to having no walls around it. All those things will help Papaya feel more secure.

Good luck! :)