PDA

View Full Version : Wild Bird Feeder

Wheeliegirl
05-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Hi. Does anyone have suggestions to get the wilde birds to come to my feeder? I have set it on the wall of my patio. I have seen the little birds land there from time to time. The feeder has been there for weeks and not one has come to feed.

I cannot hang it because I would not be able to reach it, besides, I'm not allowed to drill holes in the stucco, and I am not allowed to hang it from any of the small trees in the yard of my apartment complex.

They love the feeder that I have outside my office window. I cannot figure out why they won't come. It's very quiet on my patio, no cats and I hardly ever go out there, except for the days when I do laundry.

kimsbirds
05-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Hi Holly
Generally speaking, wild birds won't fly toward a solid wall or fence for fear of hitting it. Thats why at my work I recommend placing a feeder away from any solid walls etc...The reason why the come to the window feeder at your work is that they don't view the window as solid, they figure it's a continuation of "space"....
Best of Luck...Kimmie

Buy A Paper Doll
05-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Hey Holly,

I don't know if this will help, but someone told me once that if you have a bird feeder you should have a water source as well - like a birdbath or something.

As for the feeder itself, is there a bit of soft ground where you could install a birdfeeder that's on a pole? I was thinking you could maybe shorten the pole so that it's easier to refill, then the feeder would be away from the wall.

If that's not an option maybe you could try attaching the feeder to a pedestal. I see them at craft stores all the time and also sometimes in the garden center (intended to be used to hold a gazing ball).

Hope this helps!

butterfly1061
05-17-2006, 01:08 PM
I hang my feeders on a Sheperd's Garden Hook. It's easy to remove and the hooks come in different heights. Hope this helps. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHEPHERDS-HOOK-for-GARDEN-LANTERNS-SWINGING-CRITTERS_W0QQitemZ210000147514QQcategoryZ29512QQcm dZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Janie
05-17-2006, 07:19 PM
I have nine feeders in my yard, not counting the humming bird feeders, and 4 bird baths. It's a ZOO out there! :D The feeders are divided into two feeder stations. It did take several months to attract the variety of birds that I now have. I think the work spreads....that one tells that one and so on and so on. :D I do agree with Kim's advice about solid walls. Window feeders are fine and a feeder attached to a deck rail is also OK but for the most part, they are going to find a feeder first if it's placed in the yard.

Wheeliegirl
05-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Thanks for all the tips! I think the best bet is a shepherd's hook. In front of the wall are many bushes and I can't get in there with my wheelchair and I'm not allowed to install anything like a pedestal. I think I could get away with the shepherd's hook because it won't interfere with the garden or the gardeners as they work. Great tip! Thanks!