PDA

View Full Version : Choices choices

mandy
05-17-2006, 07:41 AM
I am Mandy from the Philippines. I am a new love bird fancier. Since tamed birds are not easy to come by here, i am deciding whether i should get a chick and hand feed it or get a young wild bird and tame it. As i have said i have zero experience and have only read how to hand feed chicks. If i get a young alb, how much work should i pour into taming it? :confused: :confused: Any advice? Thanks!

Mummieeva
05-17-2006, 12:35 PM
If those were my options I would go with getting a young bird and tame myself. Handfeeding is something that is hard for even the pro. I can not imagine anyone who has never tried it doing it. I hope you find the perfect lovebird for yourself.

Steph

sdgilley
05-17-2006, 12:45 PM
I agree with Steph, I'd get a fully weaned bird and tame it. You'll need plenty of patience, but it's worth it. There is a great deal of information in the Behavior and Taming forum to help get you started. Welcome!

Janie
05-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Ditto to Steph and Suzanne. I've never hand fed but I know it can be tricky and I would never choose to do it. I think that with a lot of patience, most birds (especially a young one) can be tamed to some degree. My favorite lovebird book, "The Lovebird Handbook" says that taming and earning trust might take up to six months. It usually takes much less time but it doesn't happen over night.

archer
05-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Hey mandy! Welcome... I will go with the young bird instead :)

mandy
05-18-2006, 04:39 AM
Thank you for all those who replied! I will prbably get a young sea green bird and call it biscuit. Thanks again!