PDA

View Full Version : Toys

Ladybri
05-17-2006, 09:51 AM
I just bought my lovebird two new wooden/rope toys that have chains holding them up. I heard that chains may not be the safest things for these birds. I figure if they make these heavy duty toys, then the chains should be okay. What would you say?

sdgilley
05-17-2006, 11:52 AM
I use stainless steel fasteners to attach toys to my bird cages. Is the chain stainless steel? Do you have a picture? I'd be really concerned that the links could catch bird toes and pinch them.

Ladybri
05-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Don't have a picture, but it looks like they could catch their toes. Wondering if I should return them to Wal-Mart.

sdgilley
05-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Here is a link to Drs Foster & Smith website on toys:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?N=2003+2011
They show toys that hang by stainless steel small chains, but I'd personally avoid those. They also show toys hung by the fasteners like I referred to. You might be better off shopping for your bird toys at a pet store, although they are more expensive. I haven't been in Walmart for a while. I have noticed that our Meijers has improved the quality of the bird toys and supplies they carry.

Avoid small plastic toys, because lovies have strong beaks - unless it is a toy that you plan to supervise outside of the cage. I initially got a fluffy rope toy for Peter, but my vet said "nope" because he could catch a toenail in the fluffy part. :( So I settled for a coconut, wooden toys hung by leather rope, and thick plastic chains.

Because of the unfortunate stories, I never use bells inside the cage.

Here is a link to featherbutt:
http://www.featherbutt.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?cart_id=3333068.15470&product=Coca_Toys
They should give you some ideas.

Janie
05-17-2006, 07:30 PM
You'd think that all toys made for birds would be safe but unfortunately, they aren't. Even at the bird speciality store where I buy toys, I inspect them from top to bottom and usually remove any and all bell clackers. I wouldn't trust the pet experts/buyers at WalMart to know anything about good bird toys so I'd look very closely at anything there if I were buying from them. They're very interested in keeping cost/prices down and therefore, quality could be affected. But, even an expensive toy from a speciality store can also be dangerous for some birds.

Ladybri
05-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Okay, thanks. I'm going to take the toys back tomorrow and then go to the pet store. I guess clackers in bells aren't good either then...

Thanks for all the great information. :)

Janie
05-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Clackers are fine if they don't have a space where they're attached. I've found that at least 50% of them do have that tiny space that an active lovie could get his beak caught in so I take pliers and remove them. Just not worth the worry.

Asue
05-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Is the toy a wooden bear or duck cut out with rope "legs" and plastic rings?

Since lovebirds are big on chewing, anything that they can knaw on is okay.
I have the Lotsa Legs toy from Jungle Talk, and the plastic cage for treats, which also hangs from a chain.

Stainless steel is safe. Watch out for chains that have rusted while sitting on the store shelves.

adenzer
05-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Suzanne,

Thanks for the featherbutts link! I kept wondering where everyone was getting those great coconut toys. I just went and ordered one.

Thanks again,

Dove
05-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Hi...

Safety is always an issue when you're responsible for a pet...I did alot of research before getting a "lovie"...I must have checked out and read and re-read 10 to 12 books at the library...bought several current books on lovebirds...read everything I could find on keeping birds on the internet...(and still reading)...called and spoke to many breeders...aviary owners...etc...

Lot's of time and energy well spent over several mths...

Wherever I came across info on the safety of toys with small chains attached...or bells...the "experts" recommended stainless steel...and chains where each link was separately soldered together...no openings...so as not to catch a beak...toe or nail...and bells where the clapper couldn't be removed and possibly swallowed...

I've been inspecting toys everywhere...using my magnifing glasses...these safe toys are sometimes hard to find (and see)...but...they are out there...I've even called catalogue and internet stores and had them inspect the toys before ordering them...some of the authors (of lovebird books) said they had called manufacturers of unsafe bird toys and complained...even had some respond with concern and redesign their toys...that's impressive...!!!

Ladybri
05-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Is the toy a wooden bear or duck cut out with rope "legs" and plastic rings?

Since lovebirds are big on chewing, anything that they can knaw on is okay.
I have the Lotsa Legs toy from Jungle Talk, and the plastic cage for treats, which also hangs from a chain.

Stainless steel is safe. Watch out for chains that have rusted while sitting on the store shelves.
Yes, it was the duck with rope "legs" and plastic pieces. I assumed that wasn't okay since it has the chain with the holes that I thought she could get caught in. Perhaps this is okay then? Also there are would and plastic pieces on another toy with larger stainless steel ring chains. So these would be okay then?

Asue
05-31-2006, 12:06 PM
Yeah! Ya know, I wanted to add about stainless steel chainlinks, sometimes toys come with these chainlinks with opened ends. I use my Fiance's tools to remove the opened links in my toys.

I've read a few lovebird books written by people who have owned and bred them. I don't always agree with the pictures used in the "toys" section... funny how they all seem to show the ferris-wheel toy right next to a lovie who doesn't seem to even notice it. I mean, I do have one, but I'd never leave it in the cage.

I sometimes make my own toys, or remake toys with leftover parts from store bought toys. I don't really use the pony beads, but I use the chainlinks over and over again.

fpmeehan
05-31-2006, 02:14 PM
My first lovebird, Bernie, love his ferris wheel. It's his favorite toy! :happy: He screeches if I touch it and if the other lovebird plays with it. He's really funny to watch because he spends hours dismantling the little plastic colored buckets from the hinges (also plastic) of the ferris wheel.:whistle: When I replace the buckets into their proper positions again, he goes bezerk running around, calling out for help until I'm finished and take my hand off of it.:( He's that attached to his toy.

Asue
06-10-2006, 06:24 AM
My first lovebird, Bernie, love his ferris wheel. It's his favorite toy! :happy: He screeches if I touch it and if the other lovebird plays with it. He's really funny to watch because he spends hours dismantling the little plastic colored buckets from the hinges (also plastic) of the ferris wheel.:whistle: When I replace the buckets into their proper positions again, he goes bezerk running around, calling out for help until I'm finished and take my hand off of it.:( He's that attached to his toy.

Hahaha! I had to convince Mikey that the Ferris wheel wasn't some sort of bird eating monster. I'm not much one for a strict schedual ( Jeanette, you know me so well :p ). I'm pretty laid back. Mikey doesn't take long to get used to new objects... with exception to the ferris wheel toy. Now if only the teil wouldn't freak out about the **** thing, I could leave it out for Mikey to play with.