PDA

View Full Version : Discontent bird

Ladybri
05-19-2006, 10:32 AM
My lovebird can't stand to not have me around, she chirps loudly when I walk away and desparately tries to get out. I've read where you should leave them in the cage for awhile when you first get one and have them get used to the cage. So, instead of taking her out whenever she wants, I'm going to try leaving her in to get used to it and maybe settle down. I've been taking her out to sit on my shoulder and step up. I don't know if leaving her in for now is the right thing to do, but that's what I'm going to try. It really bothers me that she's so discontent. Hopefully she'll adjust in time.

Does anyone else have any similar stories/suggestions?

fpmeehan
05-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Boy, I feel your pain. When I developed a close bond with my first lovebird, he cried for me constantly and my heart ached whenever I left home for work. So, I introduced more toys for him to play with and got a bird buddy (since he was hormonal).

I don't know the age of your bird, but this is the season for hormones and he may be seeking a release for his pent up energy. It's hard to say, but don't be discouraged. Try new things, like leave him in the cage and give him enough things inside the cage to occupy his mind so he isn't bored, but be close by so he'll know you're there without needing to take him out of the cage. It's alot like having a 2 year-old child.

Does he get enough out-of-cage time? On weekend spend more time with him. I can't add more to this since I don't know much about you or your bird and your schedules.

I added another lovebird, but that only made matters worse in some respects because my first bird then got less attention from me because I had more chores with an added bird, and he resented any attention to the new bird. I think he saw the other bird as competition.

They get along better now, but my first lovebird is top bird, in and out of the cage. He doesn't like the other bird playing with his special toy, and will chase him around the cage (I think partly due to spring season). When he gets aggressive like that, I must remove one of them from the cage to reduce the likelihood of injury.

I sort of play referee now, but some of their behavior is just play and social activity. Then, at other times, my first bird is plain out being mean by having fits when the other bird has something that he wants. The other bird is also adjusting by learning to wait and not jump into situations unwelcomed by the first bird.

Improvements in their relationship is being made slowly; it's nice to see them perched together peacefully sometimes when I arrive home. That's the reward!

So there's that option, but it comes at a price, too. :2cents:

mr.barkis
05-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi Bridge - does she like her toys? Remember she just moved, and take it from me, moving is stressful. Talk to you later! - Bob

Mummieeva
05-19-2006, 04:39 PM
If my birds want to come out and I have time I let them out. When I got a pair from a rescue i took them out days later because they wanted to be out. If your bird wants to be with you let her/him out. Some birds need time to get use to use and cage and some come ready to play.

Steph

shylevon
05-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Your birdie has recently left a flock environment in the nest, even if it was a small one, and it probably misses it's flockmates. It is calling out for them and is looking for an answer. You are your birdies new flock now, so oftentimes when they call out to you, it is best to call back in the same sort of chirp. If the chirps are very loud, these are called 'Contact Calls' and birdie will calm down if he knows he is not alone, even if his only flockmate is you. After a few days of dueling contact calling, your birdie should settle in and become comfortable.

As for leaving him in the cage, some birdies adapt extremely quickly to their new homes, and they really don't require a long settling-in period. If your birdie wants out of the cage, let him out for a few minutes, totally supervised, or course.

Ladybri
05-20-2006, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the great advice everyone. It's interesting to know that they have a "contact call". You know my parakeet (who chirps just like Daisy now) and the lovie go back and forth like that, so it's probably comforting to her. I just got a really big cage for her and bought her another toy and a "T" bar for the top of the cage, so she'll be moving in soon. She only plays with her toys when I'm not there. I recenly put a mirror in her cage so she'll have company while I'm at work but planning on spending more time with her soon.

LauraO
05-20-2006, 12:07 PM
You've gotten some great advise. I just wanted to add that my personal opinion is that all birds should be out of their cages as much as possible. Not only that, but the more time your lovie is out of his/her cage and with you the better friend they will become. You can even bring your lovie out in the morning to have breakfast and to help you get ready for work. My lovie Zimber absolutely loves it wheh I brush my teeth. He's six years old and never tires of the morning ritual. The most important thing is consistancy and letting your lovie out daily for several hours a day.

Oh! And be careful with the mirror as single birds tend to get infatuated with them.

Ladybri
05-20-2006, 12:23 PM
But if you have them out as much as possible, doesn't that spoil them to always wanting to be out and not in the cage?

mr.barkis
05-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Hi Bridge - Barkis, again. You got some really good feedback on your post. It all sounds good. I know that Daisy is "just a bird" (though not really, considering everything I have read about lovebirds), but I would practice the Golden Rule - "Do unto others...." Peace, Mr. B.

Mummieeva
05-20-2006, 03:21 PM
I am not sure that it spoils them into wanting to be out really.I have 2 right now a peachfaced and a masked. The peachfaced loves being out all the time and the masked is not sure about it. Honestly If my birds can not come out i whistle alot to them so they know i am ok and so are they. But I like having mine out as much as possible.

Stpeh

bellarains
05-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Hey,

I have a schedule of sorts for my birds, and they have become accustomed to it. Since you work as I do, I will give you an idea of the time I spend with them. I do have two different species, so I have to split their time out, you may have more time.

6:00 A.M. Out for 20-30 minutes while helping me get their food and water ready. Up they go at 6:30 as I go to work at 7:00.

5:00 P.M. out for 15-20 minutes, again helping me with their food and water, and a little play time. I then put them back to have their dinner.

7:00 P.M. out to play for 30 minutes to an hour. I do this while watching TV, or sometimes they "Help" me eat my dinner, depending on what we are having.

My birds go to bed around 8:30, some put theirs to bed earlier. It is best for them to get 10-12 hours of sleep, but mine are alone, in a quiet house all day, so I know they get birdy naps. Some birds do require their sleep though, or they can get a bit irritable and nippy.

Hope this helps some. I know the hours may differ depending on your schedule, but it gives you some idea.

shylevon
05-21-2006, 12:51 AM
If your birdie knows that he will be able to come out again later, or tomorrow, he will not always want to be out just because you let him out. Birdies need exercise, and they love to explore and play (and find expensive wood to chew on). They will see their cage as their personal space, and they will want to go back there when they are tired or hungry.

Don't worry about spoiling your birdie. That is why you have him.

BarbieH
05-21-2006, 06:34 AM
Hi Bridg;

My Gracie was a very brave girl when we first brought her home. Some birds seem to be much more cautious (scaredy birds), others are bold. Sounds like you've got a bold one. :)

I find that the routine becomes more important to my birds than whether they are in or out of cage. When they come out with me, supervised for their own safety, it's typically at the same time every day. They look forward to it, and when the routine happens again, I think they feel very clever. :D

I would stress keeping your bird supervised when she's out, especially in a new home like this. She needs to learn the lay of the land, with you.

I never have any bird out while I'm cooking. I have no kitchen door to keep them out physically, and too many accidents can happen in the kitchen. You also need to make sure toilet seats are closed (drowning risk), and ceiling fans are off. In our house, I also need to make sure our cat is sleeping and the door to her room is shut.

If a bird gets away from me and I don't know where it's gone, I stop moving my feet until I have a general idea where it is -- or at least, where it is not. Little birds are too easy to step on if they have gone to the floor.

In general, if I can't bring birds out safely, I leave them in their cages.

Best wishes,

Ladybri
05-21-2006, 08:17 AM
Thanks for all your responses. :)

sdgilley
05-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi,
I have mine out when I can. BUT I wanted to add, I've had best results by having mine out more often for short periods than once for a long period. Now, with my schedule and household, they don't have the run of the house when they are out. Find out what works for you and your bird. My friendliest bird (hen) gets a visit out with me several times a day, but for short periods. My males are more rambunctious and get one longer outing a day in my bedroom. I try to find a happy medium for the birds needs and my ability to keep them safe.

LauraO
05-21-2006, 01:00 PM
But if you have them out as much as possible, doesn't that spoil them to always wanting to be out and not in the cage?

I would not consider this being spoiled but a birdy's right as a member of the family. I mean we are talking about creatures that fly in nature and are used to freedom. Of course, there are schedule and safety issues, but anybirdy's life is sweeter when not behind bars:rolleyes: .

I have two play gyms my birdies spend a lot of time on. So even though they are out, they are not always attached to my person. I have also gotten so used to one or more birdies on me I don't really think anything of it unless I am going outside or cooking.

You are lucky your birdy wants to be out with you8) 8)

Ladybri
05-21-2006, 03:25 PM
"I have two play gyms my birdies spend a lot of time on. So even though they are out, they are not always attached to my person. I have also gotten so used to one or more birdies on me I don't really think anything of it unless I am going outside or cooking." Laura O

I wondered what you guys' birdies do when they're out. Thought about a play gym, but breeder recommended a T bar that goes on top of the cage. Think I'll use that and attach a couple of toys to it.

She was out yesterday and flew to the floor. She won't let me catch her easily anymore, she's learned how to run fast away from me. She was very curious about things and even went up to the dog's kennel, which he was in, and was staring him right in the face - cute. But what boldness! P.S. (I was ready to snatch her up if she got too close).

I'm learning a lot, thanks again.

P.S.S. I had her on my shoulder this morning while I was brushing my teeth. That was a new experience! She even climbed up on my head yest.

shylevon
05-21-2006, 06:00 PM
She won't let me catch her easily anymore, she's learned how to run fast away from me.

My birds have an exercise wheel, and when they are bad and are getting a scolding, they jump on that wheel and run as fast as they can. It is hillarious, and they are truly convinced they are getting far away from the screaming lady, very quickly. 'If you are running really fast, you must be going somewhere, right?'

Ladybri
05-21-2006, 08:08 PM
That's funny, I'll have to get Daisy one. Had her out on the T bar tonight. She didn't want any part of it, just wanted to be with me and/or Magpie, the keet. Her and him are really starting to like each other. She was snuggling with me while she was on my shoulder tonight.

Buy A Paper Doll
05-21-2006, 08:40 PM
My birds will hang out on a playgym for oh, about 30 seconds. They would rather be on me. Apparently I make a more interesting playgym, especially when I'm walking around the house doing exciting things like folding laundry. :roll:

kimsbirds
05-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Getting a lovie to use a playgym is just as much a part of important training as step-up is. The key to getting them on it is...yep...you guessed it...PRACTICE and PATIENCE! Just like when you add a new food to their diet, introducing that food takes weeks of presentation before they'll even nibble on the foreign object. Same as a t-stand or a playgym. Applying the same techniques to all "new" things in your parrot's world pays off in the long run.
With our babies, playgyms and t-stands are an integral part of their young lives. Starting at when they can perch, they're introduced to several different gyms.
With an older lovie or one that hasn't had that exposure, all you need to remember is consistency and patience...they'll soon learn that it can be fun (even moreso when you play there with them). Simply placing lovie on a stand and walking away is in their little birdbrains..."unacceptable";) If you sit and play with the toys etc along with birdie, they'll learn from you.
I wouldn't expect a bird to sit for any longer than say...15 mins at a time while on a t-stand or a playgym. Getting them to accept it will take weeks of training, so don't give up !! It can be done !!

Best of Luck

Kimmie

Ladybri
05-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Do your birds play with their toys in the cage much? Daisy doesn't seem to be interested. Do they become interested in time after they get used to everything?

Z28Taxman
05-22-2006, 10:51 AM
When I brought Ditto's playgym home I he wouldn't go near it. If I tried to put him near it he'd fly to my shoulder and yell at me. :mad:

So I put it by the window at the end of the couch. After a few days he decided to fly over and around it to check it out by himself. A week later he landed on it and decided it was pretty cool.

Now when we have our TV time he'll spend time on it playing with the toys. First he naps in my hand, then he needs his skritches. After that it's over to the gymn to play for 15 minutes. Then after he flies back to the cage for a snack it's skritch time again before bed.

Buy A Paper Doll
05-22-2006, 01:42 PM
Do your birds play with their toys in the cage much? Daisy doesn't seem to be interested. Do they become interested in time after they get used to everything?
When I first brought Milo home he was very young and didn't really understand how to play with toys. Also, I didn't want to overwhelm him so for the week or so, I only had a few toys in the cage with him. When he seemed to be more comfortable, I went and bought a bag of toys for him. When I got the toys home, I opened the cage up, dumped the toys on the table, and started playing with them myself. Eventually Mr. Nosy Bird came over to see what I was doing.

Now, I will admit, that first day, he walked right past the toys and hopped on the remote control. :roll: If you think about it, that makes sense, though; it's the "toy" he sees me play with the most, so it must be the most fun, right? :lol

Ladybri
05-23-2006, 01:11 PM
When I brought Ditto's playgym home I he wouldn't go near it. If I tried to put him near it he'd fly to my shoulder and yell at me. :mad:

So I put it by the window at the end of the couch. After a few days he decided to fly over and around it to check it out by himself. A week later he landed on it and decided it was pretty cool.

Now when we have our TV time he'll spend time on it playing with the toys. First he naps in my hand, then he needs his skritches. After that it's over to the gymn to play for 15 minutes. Then after he flies back to the cage for a snack it's skritch time again before bed.
What is a skritch?

bellarains
05-23-2006, 02:50 PM
Skirtching is rubbing them around the neck, head and cheek areas, usually done with the thumb and forefinger. This is something that will put Bela in an almost comatose like state:lol