PDA

View Full Version : Can you actually take your pets into PetSmart?

nanakai233
05-19-2006, 03:53 PM
We don't have a PetSmart here, or yet atleast. They're building one where our Toys R' Us used to be. So I just have to ask if you actually CAN take your pets in there.

mjm8321
05-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Yes you can, but if you are referring to a bird, I would not take a bird into a location where there are other birds. The risks are too high in my opinion.

Mummieeva
05-19-2006, 04:43 PM
The only animal I would take with me to PetsMart would be a dog. You can take cats but I would not myself. Also as MJ said do not take birds as thier dieases are to easy to mask.

Steph

Janie
05-19-2006, 05:22 PM
I did take my dog, once, when she was still very young. She did not enjoy it a bit! :lol There are too many LARGE dogs there and once I saw one that I was told was half wolf! :eek: Surely that is not legal!

I agree, I would never take my bird anyplace where there would be other birds. Too many germs. I even worry about what they might pick up at their avian vets office but I realize that is a necessary trip!

goldnyght
05-19-2006, 09:05 PM
I think half wolves are legal, though unlikely. Someone may have sold it with that "spin" when it actually had malmut or husky in it (which provide very similar looks) or even irish *wolf*hound.

Mummieeva
05-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Wolf hybrids are legal in GA with a permit. It is state my state thing. My husband and his family had a half timber wolf/half german shepard. He was a wonderful dog and when your daughter was born he treated her like his..lol. Imagine a large dog following a 1yr old up and down stairs..but the dog is outside. He would watch her like a hawk.

Steph

kimsbirds
05-19-2006, 10:26 PM
The PetSmart here where I live welcomes leashed pets. Would I take my dogs or my cats there? No way !....Even moreso for my birds...the risk of injury, loss and disease is so incredibly high, I just leave everyone at home with a bowl of seed while I hit the bird store...Better Safe Than Sorry my momma always said !!
Kimmie

bubble
05-19-2006, 10:33 PM
yes, you can take your birds inside petsmart, i did ask them. i don't suggest that either, too risky.

Asue
05-23-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm signed up with the Wellness Plan at Petsmart's vet clinic. My Boston Terrier, Lola gets her vaccinations and check ups there. After her first year, I'll find a different vet.
Lola loves people and other dogs, it's easier to socialize her at Petsmart because we don't have any dog parks in my area. PetSuperMarket, Petco, and other petstore do allow leashed pets inside.

I'd only bring a dog or cat inside, the creatures living inside pet stores live with different levels of stress through out the day. I can't tell you how many times I've seen unattended children tapping on the plastic enclosures ( parakeets and finch usually get this abuse ). Some diseases are only shed when the bird is stressed, I wouldn't take the chance.

Even when I go to birdfairs, or a friend's house who owns birds, I come home, take a shower, change clothes and wash my hands before I even go near my loviebird. Everything I buy also gets washed. Usually, the bird seed bags ( toys and perches ) at birdfairs are set up near the birds for sale.

call me paranoid. :wink:

BarbieH
05-23-2006, 12:06 PM
I'll call you paranoid -- and smart. ;) That's good practice all around.