PDA

View Full Version : Indy Update

Kumashe
05-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Suprisingly for me, Indy is making rapid progress towards becoming a somewhat tame lovie. Yesterday, I started feeding him millet from inside his cage and after a few minutes opened his cage up to feed him. He was a little doubtful at first but after a few seconds he continued eating the millet I held in my fingers. I was able to lure him out on top of the cage. I've been doing the same thing with him today as well. He still refuses to step up and its hard to get him out and away from the cage, but we're making progress and that's good news for me.

Now, here's the not-so-good news. I've begun to notice that if the millet left avaliable is close to my fingers he kind of "lunges" toward my fingers as if his beak is going to close onto them. I pull my fingers away from him voicing a stern "no", but I'm not sure if that is what I should be doing. He hasn't been giving the chance to nibble at or try to taste my fingers, so he may not actually be trying to bite. Should I let him explore my fingers with his beak so that he can understand that they won't hurt him?

I finally returned Indy's old cage a few days ago and used the return money to buy a "Happy hut" substitute (it only has one opening), a hamster wheel, a new toy (acrilic swing with a bell), a carrier http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=6393&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=avian%20select&cp=3&Nao=24&sku=818135&familyID=9601&, a lovebird book and a copy of "Bird Talk" magazine. I still have about $45 dollars left to save up for his first well bird exam that I will try to scheduale for next Friday if I can raise 20 more dollars.

I have a question about the vet visit though. Indy has not been inside the carrier yet. How can I teach him to enter it without hassle? He's not very tame yet either. Is it unfair to try and get him examined by a vet when the examination process will be very difficult? Or is there anything I could do to help the taming process so that he will not mind being touched?

linda040899
05-21-2006, 05:03 PM
The carrier is a nice one and I think you will find it will work out well. I have quite a few carriers but I like the fact that this one can be used for small to medium sized birds.

My birds never get a choice when they need to go to see my vet. I usually just pick them up and put them in the carrier. I do it quickly to minimize stress. I also immediately Cover the carrier so that what they see is minimized, as well. I think Indy will most likely forgive you for the trip to the vet, even though he may not like what is happening. The one thing I never do when my birds are in the carriers is have food/water dishes in with them. In an accident or if you have to stop quickly, those items can become dangerous projectiles so I avoid that possibility by just not putting any in the carrier. I also put a seat belt around the carrier, something I learned the hard way........

LauraO
05-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Now, here's the not-so-good news. I've begun to notice that if the millet left avaliable is close to my fingers he kind of "lunges" toward my fingers as if his beak is going to close onto them. I pull my fingers away from him voicing a stern "no", but I'm not sure if that is what I should be doing. He hasn't been giving the chance to nibble at or try to taste my fingers, so he may not actually be trying to bite. Should I let him explore my fingers with his beak so that he can understand that they won't hurt him?

It could be that Indy, being uncertain of hands, knows you are also afraid of his beak and uses this as a way to move you back or keep you at bay. If you always flinch and tell him no as you back away, he knows what to do to get you to move. Believe me, I know beaks are scary and I laugh at how scared I used to be of my first lovie Zimber. The best thing is not to move to see what Indy is going to do. He may bite you and he may not. Either way, I would try not to react. It sounds as if you have to build your trust in Indy as he has to build in you, and it's only time that will do this.

Congrats on your progress. Being patient and consistant is the best way to go:D .

kimsbirds
05-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Congrats on the progress !!
Indy doesn't know that biting you will cause pain, but what he likely sees is that those very fingers who were offering him millet, are now taking it away. Until you are a bit more familiar with each other, you can always try step ups with a thin wooden perch. Once he's secure in stepping up on that, you can offer your finger? Something we do here often is to offer the entire hand, palm side down for the birdie to step up on..I don't know if doing that looks less intimidating to them, but it has helped us !
Best of Luck to you and Indy
Kimmie

Buy A Paper Doll
05-21-2006, 08:31 PM
I second Kimmie's suggestion on offering the whole hand for step-ups. Both of my birds started out being a bit hand shy. I offered the back of my hand, my arm, whatever they seemed to be comfortable with.

Over time, Milo got over his fear and now steps on my finger like a pro. Melody, on the other hand, still prefers the back of my hand. :)

Kumashe
05-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Thank you for the great advice! :D