PDA

View Full Version : Messy, messy, messy

wildparrot
05-27-2005, 09:23 AM
I really need some suggestions about how to contain the mess INSIDE the cage until cleaning day. My larger parrot cages all have the seed catcher built on the bottom of the cage. I love these cages. My lovies, however, live in a large breeder style cage that is longer than it is high. I've never seen anything that I could place under the cage that would catch mess. Any suggestions? Sure hope so.

Lois

Mummieeva
05-27-2005, 09:37 AM
How about laying a big blanket on floor or table(were ever most of the mess goes)? My lovies have a blanket on the floor that I take and shake out at bedtime.

Steph

bellarains
05-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Hey Lois,

I will put a link to Dr. Foster and Smith for some seed catcher ideas. All my cages also have seed guards, so I can't vouch for how the aprons work, but they might be worth a try.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/NavResults.cfm?N=2003+113650

TTYL,

Lori

mjm8321
05-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Lois,
I've got a bunch of piggy lovies too :D ...make lots of mess everyday. I've foiund the best way for me to keep ahead of it is to sweep or run a Swifter around on the floor at least once a day. I'm a bit leary of the elastic or thin plastic seed catchers as I know none of my lovies would leave it alone. It would be chewed up withing 30 minutes of being put on the cage, but I do like the look of the apron and the universal seed guard.

mangotiki
05-27-2005, 12:59 PM
I was thinking of getting some coroplast (corregated plastic) and cutting it to fit around the outside bottom of the cage. i too have a big mess...I vacuum at least 2X a day and it is still messy...right in my living room!!!

It is exactly like a big sheet of cardboard, but made of plastic, comes in different colors, and costs about 12 bucks canadian for a 4x8 foot sheet...at building supply stores.

havent done it yet, though, any reasons why I shouldnt?

traci

Buy A Paper Doll
05-27-2005, 05:29 PM
A slightly different solution: I bought one of those cordless handheld vacuums. Whenever the seed hulls and veggie bits get out of control I do a quick touchup. Takes just a few minutes and I don't have to worry about lovies chewing up a plastic or fabric seedcatcher.

mangotiki
05-27-2005, 11:50 PM
my poor vacuum :eek: , even the full size ones cant handle this mess...shredded paper and shavings everywhere...a dust buster would never work. things will be so much easier when they are done nesting...traci

shylevon
05-28-2005, 12:34 AM
You can also buy plastic eavestroughing stuff, cut it to size and attach it to the perimeter of the bottom of the cage. You can hold it together with tape and attach it with stainless steel wire, also available at the hardware store.