PDA

View Full Version : RSS?

n8wb
05-26-2006, 08:15 AM
With RSS becoming more popular, I have decided to take the plunge and give it a try. I have noticed that several other bird forums that I frequent have an RSS feed available for their members to keep up to date with any new posts on their forum. I was wondering if there were any plans on adding this feature sometime in the future for the members of Lovebirds Plus?

I may be one of the few on this board that would find this feature of value. So I thought I would ask the community if anyone else is using RSS to keep updated on the various boards that they frequent. If I am the only one that use it, it may not be worth the administration staff to even bother investing the time it would take to add it to the forum. However, if there is a number of people that would be interested in this feature, it may be worth it for them to look into it as it could possibly add another way of attracting, and keeping, more new members.

If you are reading this scratching your head wondering what the heck RSS is all about, here's a link that may help to explain what I am talking about:

http://www.whatisrss.com/

If, after reading about RSS you decide that you would like to give it a try, there are several ways to do so. One is your browser. Many new browsers such as Firefox and the up and coming IE7 have it built in. I have used both and have found that a stand alone program, at least for my use, works best as you can have it running in the background while you are doing other things. Here's the one that I currently use if you would like to have a look.

http://www.rssbandit.org/

There are a few dozen web sites that I visit on a regular basis. Using RSS I can check them all in about 30 seconds for new forum posts, news items from sites like CNN and Yahoo news, check newsgroups for updates as well as a friends blog.

So, what do you think? Is this something that anyone else thinks that they would use and would like to see this as a feature on this forum? Keep in mind, I am just another member of the community and thought I would ask if this would be something that would be used. The poll is just to cover the bases and give the administration staff something to think about. It may never happen, but unless someone mentions if they would like to see something added, it never may even enter the thoughts of the admins that their membership would even be interested enough to use it.

Thanks to everyone, both the admins and the other members of the forum for making this a place that I really enjoy to visit in my travels on the web. I have learned a lot from everyone and I look forward to many years of sharing information on one of the best and most gratifying hobbies.