PDA

View Full Version : Common Behavior

oocreageroo
05-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Hi all! I just got my first lovie, Joelie (Joel-E), as a graduation gift about a week ago. :D My husband and I truely enjoy him/her. I was just wondering if some "experts" could give me some info on common behaviors. :confused:

We got one from Petsmart, and it died a day later! I was SOO sad. :cry: We got Joelie from a different petstore, not confident in Petsmart. :confused: Apparently, this one was also sick!!! :mad: We took Joelie to the vet right away, and we got some antibiotics. Joelie seems to be much more vocal, playful, and curious now!!!! I am glad to see more common bird behavior!! :happy:

Any tips, pointers, and fun facts would be great. ;) I have done a lot of looking online, but everything is so general! Feel free to meail me or IM me... I am typically on yahoo.

:happy: Thanks so much! :happy:

bellarains
05-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Hi,

I am so glad you got Joelie to a vet ASAP. Petstores are not always the best places to get a bird, and we all feel so sorry for the ones that wind up in one. They are bred in mass, and are shipped from place to place, along with all the people that handle them, they are not shipped in very good condition either. It is no wonder so many of them are sick and die:(

There is much to learn in keeping a lovie happy and healthy. We have a resource library there that will tell you much of what you need to know. Other than a good diet, everyday interaction is key to taming, or keeping a tame lovie. They are wonderful little acrobats, and are constantly entertaining. Make contact calls back and forth with your lovie, ie.. when he cheeps, you cheep back. This is what lovies do in a flock, and you are now Joelie's flock:)

Things to be aware of are, no chocolate, avocado,sugar or caffeine. These are deadly to birds, so those are the things to steer clear of.

Toys are also something that we have to be careful with. Just because they are bird toys does not necessarily make them safe. You want stainless steel attachments, or I use the bird links for attachments allot. You also want to stay away from bells, as they can get their beaks stuck inside them. They make bells that are chime type bells, and these are safe. You also want to stay away from toys that have long rope, or anything you thing they may get hung in, or get a foot caught in.

Well, I'll stop there. I'm sure you will have some specific questions, and please do not hesitate to ask any you have. We will help all we can to help you take care of Joelie. I look forward to hearing all about him/her, and please post us some pics in the photo forum if you have any, or when you get some.

Welcome to the board, and congrats on your new baby:D

linda040899
05-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Hi and welcome to our community!
As Lori said, check our Resource Library! We've compiled information that is lovebird specific and information that can be used with all birds. If you are looking for specifics rather than generalities, read through some of the messages that are posted here. We tend to get very specific! Our search feature works well so you should be able to look up specific topics. :)

Janie
05-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Hi and welcome to a great forum! :D The Lovebird Resource Library is the best place to start.

Did you get your money back from PetSmart? Any bird that I would buy would go straight to a vet for a check up. Even if it came from a breeder. That first check up gives your avian vet information on your bird for future check ups, too. Here is the link for the Resource Library (found on the first page of the forum).

http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/resource.html