PDA

View Full Version : Silicone Caulk????

Janie
05-31-2006, 04:29 PM
I have an area in my bird room that needs caulking. It's on the wall (right at the ceiling/roof) that steps from the bird room to my kitchen and it's about 10 feet across. Tiny pieces of tar specks from the roof shingles are coming in through that area (this room was formerly a screened in porch) and the man that can repair it said he'll use black caulking OUTSIDE where it's coming in and then would like to run clear silicon caulk INSIDE right at the top of the ceiling, along that wall to be sure nothing comes through (where the wall meets the ceiling). I am not worried about the birds ingesting the silicon because it won't be in an area where they can get to or even cling to but I wonder about fumes in silicone caulk. It dries quickly and I have used it many times in other areas of my house but wondered if anyone can advise me about using it in the bird room. Thanks!

shylevon
05-31-2006, 05:16 PM
They caulked around my tub a while ago and the fumes were really bad. I would definately be sending the birdies for a day on that lovely screened in porch you speak of, for the entire day. That is the best way to know they will be safe. Besides, Oliver needs to teach those young'uns a thing or two about chattering with the wild birdies.

Janie
05-31-2006, 06:47 PM
Shy, :lol, that lovely screened in porch is the bird room now. That's what I had made into a year round room for them. I did talk to Jeanette's husband and he told me that they'd have to be out of that room for a day and a night. Shoot!

Buy A Paper Doll
05-31-2006, 08:15 PM
You know what, I had to use caulk to seal the chair railing in a bedroom, and the fumes gave ME a headache. I kept the birdies far away from the smell.

Janie
05-31-2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks Shy and Jennifer.....I've put this project off till my hubby is out of town and I can move them in to the family room for a day and a night. Not that hubby minds them but I don't want them to be disturbed by us.....while they're trying to sleep. :D Fortunately their room has four large windows that open and a ceiling fan and an a/c and room fan that I can blast while the room is airing out.

shylevon
06-01-2006, 03:47 AM
MAN... I wanna come live in that birdie room....and those spoiled rotten winged rascals can come live in my dump.

Wow, Say that three times... 'spoiled rotten winged rascals'.

Janie
06-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Shy, their room is small! Really! I think it's about 12 by 14.....add three cages (you know that Oliver still has to sleep in his smaller night cage, :D) and two play gyms and you can barely move in that room! I am very happy to have that room but I sure would like to have one three times that size. Hmmmm, I could have a lot more birdies with a bigger room!:whistle: My hubby would cry if he read that! ;)

shylevon
06-01-2006, 04:07 PM
12 x 14??? That's bigger than my whole house, and I don't have any playgyms in here.:cry: :cry: :cry:

Janie
06-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Well, the caulking was done early this morning and I have three very unhappy birds! :( They've been moved into the kitchen and are going to have to spend 80% of their time caged for the next 24 hours. Oliver is not a problem but all three are fully flighted and Big Boi and Shy would not be manageable out of their bird room. I have a vaulted ceiling in my family room and even my tame boy, Oliver, flew up to that fan, about 20 feet up, a few days ago. I knew he'd come down but I also knew he was walking around in a thick layer of dust on that fan! :eek: I think it was cleaned about eight years ago, :lol.

I do have four large windows (screened) in the bird room and they are wide open plus a ceiling fan and a free standing unit that has a powerful blower so hopefully they can move back into their home tomorrow. :D:D:D The caulk is already dry and I can't smell a thing......my sinuses are so bad I can't ever smell a thing! :whistle:

shylevon
06-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Tie a dust rag to those tailfeathers and let them 'have at it' up there on the fan. All my guys have housecleaning duties around here.