PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, taming is difficult...

Kumashe
06-09-2006, 02:36 PM
On Wendsday, I tried my first "Indy taming" lesson. I'm not sure how well it worked. I was using advice from you all as well as these two sites:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/9821/taming.html
http://www.parrotscanada.com/ (For the New Bird Owner -> Taming the wild bird)

I decided to work with him near my sink area which is quite close to where his cage is, which is probably why this didn't work very well. I didn't want to chase him around the cage with a towel or any thing, so I unhinged the bottom of the cage and tried to get him to climb out... Yeah, that was kinda difficult. It turns out that Indy is quite the acrobat. I did what instructions on a site told me to by turning the cage wire upside down to get him to climb out to get away from me. Indy simply readjusted himself on the same perch.

After a couple of minutes he finally got out. He was fine with taking treats from me, there was no problem there. The problem was that he would continuously push the perches away from me when I put them under him. He eventually started stepping up, and was doing a good job of it; but I think that's because he knew his cage was close and wanted to get to a higher position so he could fly away from me... :x He also pinched me quite hard while eating millet that was in my hand. It was different from other times he'd pinched me, and actually hurt.

I have no idea how to better these training sessions. Maybe taking him to a completely different room would help, but the means of transporting him there... Should I just take to toweling him and taking him? I know it scares him a bit, but it seems to be the fastest/easiest way.

-sigh- Advice please. >o

LauraO
06-09-2006, 05:33 PM
It sounds as if he is making great strides. If indy just pushed the perch away it means he wasn't terrified of it and if he actually got on it that is great progress. I would continue to work with how you are. Next time he steps up on the stick try moving him to the top of his cage and stepping down. Then try and work on the step off and moving him to a playstand/place to sit. I would avoid toweling Indy. I don't believe in toweling unless I have to because it makes birds very nervous and they are smart enough to know you are the one chasing them with the towel.

Good luck and don't forget working daily and consistently with Indy is very important as he beguns to understand the routine and what is expected of him:D .

Janie
06-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Good luck and don't forget working daily and consistently with Indy is very important as he beguns to understand the routine and what is expected of him .

Very good advice from Laura. :) I think consistency is so important and once they get into a routine, they like it and it becomes easier.

Kumashe
06-12-2006, 06:25 PM
I moved our training area to my bathtub and Indy did great. He was stepping up like a pro... now if I could only do something about the biting fingers....>o

Elle
06-12-2006, 08:11 PM
I moved our training area to my bathtub and Indy did great. He was stepping up like a pro... now if I could only do something about the biting fingers....>o

Do you present your finger for step up or the flat of your hand? I find offering my hand flat works better then just a finger. Blu will step up on any part of my body I show her, shoulder head, glasses, hand finger forearm etc but it took a lot of time before getting to that point. With Phoebe, forget that at this time. Flat of the hand only.

Regards,

BarbieH
06-13-2006, 07:24 AM
If Indy is biting fingers when they are offered as a perch, he may just be testing it to make sure that it's stable. If that's the case -- little test bites -- and you really want Indy to step up on your fingers, you will need to grin and bear it until Indy is confident about it. :)

You're doing great! :D

Kumashe
06-14-2006, 02:17 AM
I don't even offer my hand as a perch, he just goes after it. It seems like he's testing it but he doesn't have to test so hard does he?

BarbieH
06-14-2006, 07:58 AM
I understand, and that's a different kind of a bite -- not a test bite. It seems that some birds don't recognize that hands/fingers are attached to the person they are learning to trust. They see fingers as a threat, for whatever reason.

To prevent getting bit, get Indy used to working with a perch instead of your fingers, if you are going to teach him how to step up. Use your fingers to offer him food, but make sure there it is long enough so that Indy can't bite your fingers in addition to the food.

You're doing great! :)