PDA

View Full Version : Akward! Boy or Girl?

CaptMicha
06-09-2006, 08:35 PM
So, I thought Clover was a boy but he's displaying mating behavor where he squats down and spreads his wings. Does that mean that he is a girl?

And what's getting my birds in the mood? The change in natural lighting?

I don't want them mating! Should I just take them out seperately until it blows over?

Asue
06-10-2006, 03:40 AM
Mikey likes to rub himself on millet sprays, he tries to feed his toy ball, and he does do a weird thing with his wings... he spreads them from his body, but doesn't spread them all the way out. Both wings come together on his back and he growls. I've been told that males and females do the same breeding behaviour sometimes, so DNA sexing can tell you the real gender.

All I can say is that it's that time of year again!

butterfly1061
06-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Some birds can display characteristics of both male & female. The only sure way to know what sex your bird is, is to have a DNA test done. Characteristics alone is no proof. I have a female who tries to do swishy-swishy :rolleyes:

Buy A Paper Doll
06-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Some birds can display characteristics of both male & female. The only sure way to know what sex your bird is, is to have a DNA test done. Characteristics alone is no proof. I have a female who tries to do swishy-swishy :rolleyes:
And I have a DNA'd male who solicits with the best of them. :roll:

CaptMicha
06-11-2006, 03:34 AM
Those crazy lovebirds! He's also made a nest in the shredded paper on the bottom of his cage. Or should I say it's cage?

When I used to have them housed together, they got busy and Daisy sat on the egg while Clover guarded. I know this doesn't say anything about Clover's sex but they don't steal eggs from each other, do they?

Oh! And that brings me to another question. Will lovebirds adopt eggs that aren't their own? Like say, if I were to find an small egg that fell out of a nest and it was fertile? Would that be safe and desease free for my babies?

Not that this happened but it's good to know if it does.

Kathryn
06-11-2006, 10:57 PM
While lovebirds will sit on adopted eggs, NEVER give a hen an egg from a wild bird...at least I think that was your question. Birds in the wild have been exposed to bacteria that can be harmful to tame birds. To place a found egg in the nest with your hen is asking for problems for your lovie hatchlings that have no resistence to the wild bird's bacteria.

As for the sexing of birds....nothing is 100%.